Battery Ground?

Thanks

Thanks. This site is awesome. You can come in from the garage and make a quick post. By the time your out of the shower and grabbed a beer you already have your answer. Thanks again.

The reason I asked is I found it disconnected today while I installed a new timing chain. I did put a new turbo on a couple of hundred miles ago. And possibly at that time somehow over looked hooking it back up. The car runs with out it then? What side affects might occur from not having it hooked up? I’ve had an issue ever since I put the turbo on so I’m hoping someone can blurt it out. Maybe I need to give more insight.

Thanks
Chad

Thanks. This site is awesome. You can come in from the garage and make a quick post. By the time your out of the shower and grabbed a beer you already have your answer. Thanks again.

Dang. It took that long? Seems like we're slipping on our reaction time around here! :p

The reason I asked is I found it disconnected today while I installed a new timing chain. ... What side affects might occur from not having it hooked up? I’ve had an issue ever since I put the turbo on so I’m hoping someone can blurt it out. Maybe I need to give more insight.

Without the main ground being hooked up, the little electrons look for the the next path of least resistance. Sometimes a situation like this can damage the torque converter bushing in the transmission front pump as it can act like a little spark plug jumping energy from the converter hub to the transmission in search of a ground. When it does that, it pits the bushing. You're probably OK there but since you asked, I thought I'd let you know of one potential side affect.

A more immediate affect with a TR is that they can act up under load if the grounding is marginal. It can cause the ignition system to not perform to its potential.

MeanBuick I’m very interested in what you posted.

I just went out and looked at it again. I will look again tomorrow under better lighting. It looked like the ground should go to the head. I will look at the bottom of the turbo and see where it should go.

About five years ago I bought new turbo, injectors, chip, torque converter, down pipe, and much more. After installing it all (without the ground) the car would stall at high rpm (wot) just before shifting to second. I took the car to a transmission shop in MI where they told me it was slipping in second gear. I had the transmission rebuilt and the problem remained the same. The shop told me the car would always stall with the new torque converter. I then put the stock converter back in and continued to put the car back to stock other than the turbo step by step trying to eliminate the issue. Installed new valve springs, heated o2 sensor, then coil pack, and then a hot wire kit for the fuel pump. The problem was still there. Frustrated and with oil leaks I put the car in storage for almost five years. Now I’m back at it again. Could this disconnected ground wire be my problem?:confused: Please say yes :biggrin: and tell me my torque converter bushing is okay.

Thanks
Chad

Not having your ground strap connected could cause all sorts of gremlins. There's another smaller ground wire that should go to the bolt on the ps fender. That must be how your battery was grounded.

I know I'm kicking a dead horse, but I was under the impression that the negative cable would be connected to the block..... not the turbo bracket..... being an F-body V8 guy, seeing what the P.O. did with the wiring in my car I was a little bit skeptical.......

The P.O. must of had some kinda serious boom boom in the trunk as it looks like an electric co-op in there minus the amp and speakers now...

Anyway back to why I'm making replying to this some six years out of date, has anybody ever seen this as legitimate means of battery ground?

I think it's very large amplifier wire....
2015-07-09 09.00.43.jpg

It is bigger than my ring finger, if the plastic sheathing around it hadn't started melting, I doubt I would have paid it much mind.....

But now that I know, I doubt I'll be leaving this as is.... but I was just curious if anyone else seen stuff like this?

the post stating it goes to lower bolt of the turbo bracket is correct but its not using the bracket for the ground the bolt actually goes through the bracket and into the passenger head , the engine sensor grounds are connected to the back of the passenger head providing a good flow back to the battery

as to yours .. ive seen the main battery ground cable connected to other locations like the bolt on the front of the turbo shield and under the water pump bolt
it should be routed to the frame in that flattened plastic clip then up to the lower bolt hole of the turbo J bracket , the bolt was a m10 x 1.5 with a 13mm head