Ball Bearing Turbos

I believe turbonetics are singles and innovative bb turbos are duals. i got a turbonetics.

Is there an advantage to having a Dual BB turbo. It would seem to me that they may possibly spool faster?

I would think having ballbearings on both sides of a shaft should probably only help.

INTERCOOLED said:
Is there an advantage to having a Dual BB turbo. It would seem to me that they may possibly spool faster?

It would be possible for the dual to spool faster, no doubt. I have used both and can only say they just plain spool fast. I have been using and selling the Turbonetics and Innovative turbos for some time, the main differance is the dual requires water cooling if you are going to street drive it.

JCotton said:
the main differance is the dual requires water cooling if you are going to street drive it.
Russ knows that from experience,He wished someone mentioned that to him,Cost him a bit to get that rebuilt after a 1000 miles

OTTO! :mad:

Reguardless of what I was told, I shoulda knew better....... I was used to the T-netics BB turbos that work absolutely AWESOME without water......Single BB.

Russ Merritt said:
OTTO! :mad:

Reguardless of what I was told, I shoulda knew better....... I was used to the T-netics BB turbos that work absolutely AWESOME without water......Single BB.

Thank you Russ, that turbo was meant for your race car period. As for when to water cool, right from Ola's mouth, it is not neccesary to water cool for light street driving, if you are going to hammer the heck out of it on the street then it is a good idea. This is just another example of the pimple on the butt of the Buick Community looking to make something out of something that just isn't so.... get a life Otto. Try a positive post, it looks better, everyone pretty much has your number for trying to attack me anyway you can. :eek:

OK, lets go in a different direction. Why does the single bb survive fine and the dual not? I'm very vague on the construction of either but on the surface you would think if a shaft is supported by 2 ball bearings that it would support the shaft more equally. Am I way off? Also the bb will reduce the friction right so why not twice the reduction in heat?

cause the heat from the other side kills the bearing. compressor side is cool the other side it mucho hot.

These bb are ceramic right? I am familiar with ceramic materials and the heat they can take and strengh they have. How hot does the exhaust get? We sinter Yittrium Ziconia at 1140*C (2284*F), that's pretty damn hot...

matt87 said:
cause the heat from the other side kills the bearing. compressor side is cool the other side it mucho hot.

Right on Matt, the exhaust side of the housing is much hotter, for obvious reasons. Like Russ said earlier, the single BB has worked great for him.

JCotton said:
Thank you Russ, that turbo was meant for your race car period. As for when to water cool, right from Ola's mouth, it is not neccesary to water cool for light street driving, if you are going to hammer the heck out of it on the street then it is a good idea. This is just another example of the pimple on the butt of the Buick Community looking to make something out of something that just isn't so.... get a life Otto. Try a positive post, it looks better, everyone pretty much has your number for trying to attack me anyway you can. :eek:
Did I mention your name as being a culprit in any wrong doing?Did i mention your name at all? Someone is a general world ,Meaning anyone mentioning would have been nice.
The whole world might have differeent ideas of light street driving compared to hammering the heck out of it.so whos the judge?
Look again st your post and i quote
"the main differance is the dual REQUIRES water cooling if you are going to street drive it."Now your saying it doesnt??
But from the as i quote"pimple on the butt of the Buick Community"Your that little white spec on top of chicken ****,But guess what,That little white spec,is chicken **** too.Now dont come on here and attack me.I have done nothing since your little cry fest to attack you.I have a great life and really feel no need to try to find another one,I am friends NOW with some really great people that dont jerk me around
Also, My single BB worked great for me

matt87 said:
I would agree there,Being the ex side gets much hotter the liquid should keep the temp in check enough to make it survive(this was a positive post)

You are a funny guy Otto, you think you are so cagey. It is because of fools like you always twisting things around lawyers make such a good living... I'll repeat, get a life Otto, you be lookin the fool again. :cool: Everyone can see you come in behind me everytime I post anywhere on the net........... what's the term for that........ oh ya, a TROLL, how's it feel to be a TROLL....... :eek:

JCotton said:
how's it feel to be a TROLL....... :eek:
Please tell me Jack,I just looked it up in a dictionary and your picture was right next to the definition.(Pretty Cagey huh?)
My first post was helping to let the Buick community know it is nessacary to water feed the turbo,I belive that is a helpful post,I named a guy who learned from a bad expieience.

Pronto said:
Are the ball bearing ceramic?
Not sure about others,But from what i know the Turbonectics ones are ceramic.From what i seen on their website,The Duals from Innovative are ceramic also

Anyone venture a guess at the temp the exhaust side sees? What type if iron is the housing made of? I did a quick search and found a wide range of melting points depending on the iron alloy. I'm just trying to figure out if the housing has a higher melting point than the ceramic ball bearings.