balancer vs. harmonic balancer

big reazon

When is it a good time to switch to a harmonics balancer? When is it needed was going to purchase a ta steel balancer for my steel crank but have been looking at their harmonic balancer with inertia ring. When is this needed?

Just before the stock one decides to give up! J/K!
I started wondering about it when you go above the 500whp. It could come apart at less if you dropped, struck or damaged it w/the puller. It more about peace of mind. That being said, the t/a steel balancer is probably all that is needed by the majority. It is cheaper and it won't come apart like the stock or the harmonic balancer. Go w/the steel one.

black owned said:
bison,whats the diffrence?and why?thanks

One will absorb harmonics at some operating ranges and the other us just a steel hub like a stock balancer.

I dont have a preference. A damper is better than not using one though. Internal or external doesnt matter either. I like internal because the damper and flywheel aren't specific to the engine.

bison said:
I dont have a preference. A damper is better than not using one though. Internal or external doesnt matter either. I like internal because the damper and flywheel aren't specific to the engine.

Hey Bison,
I may be off, but isn't factory external and most strokers are neutral?

coach said:
Hey Bison,
I may be off, but isn't factory external and most strokers are neutral?

Either could be either way. Factory as delivered was external. The neutral ones have heavier counterweighting or had a lot of weight added to the counterweights. Not all steel cranks are internal balance though.

there a ati dampner listed for sale...would this be something you might use?thanks

black owned said:
there a ati dampner listed for sale...would this be something you might use?thanks

Maybe. Sometimes it requires machining the hub and pressing on a reluctor ring and spacing out the damper for proper alignment. More work than most are capable of doing without access to a machine shop

BHJ balancers are easiest to configure. They are available for internal and external balanced rotating assemblies and will allow you to use the stock type reluctor wheel and accept stock type pulleys. If you use an ATI balancer you have to re-configure everything.

Neal

Is there a way to verify the reluctor ring is degree'd properly with the balancer off of the motor? As in comparing it to the old one and how would you measure?

How are different balancers configured? Are you just talking about the reluctor ring, or is there some way to change the way they balance things?

big reazon said:
Is there a way to verify the reluctor ring is degree'd properly with the balancer off of the motor? As in comparing it to the old one and how would you measure?

I am using a BHJ on my new stroker. It should be within a degree or two. Only true way is to mark it and lock out your connector and check it with a timing light I believe. Then you can adjust your chip or FAST and dial it in.

The difference between the internal and external balancers is that the external balanced one is counterweighted on one side similar to the stock hub. The internal balance one is neutral balanced and has no effect on the balance of the rotating assembly. Most of the aftermarket steel cranks use an the one that for an internal balanced assembly with the exception of some Eagle cranks which are no longer made. Stock cranks would need the one for an external balanced rotating assembly. As far as verifying the position of the reluctor ring on the balancer, I believe Dan at DLS can do this. There was a board member that made his own fixture to do this also but I can't recall who it was.

Neal

As far as verifying the position of the reluctor ring on the balancer, I believe Dan at DLS can do this.

Neal

That is where i sent my stock balancer a few years ago to have the factory stamped reluctor ring replaced with a new billet reluctor ring. Dan said that he had a fixture setup to ensure the correct position of the new reluctor ring installation. It has been working great ever since.

Decision is made ordered a bhj balance internal balance and a power logger so verifying timing will work out ok.