Bad Turbo

#916 started blowing blue smoke last week; pretty sure it's from the turbo. Among other things, it has about a quarter inch in-and-out play in the shaft. I understand that is no good. My question: Do I get this rebuilt or replace it? I wouldn't mind a little quicker spool-up. Is there a better turbo that is a direct replacement that fits under the heat shield. My mechanical abilities are limited, so I don't want to be cutting, welding, or fabricating anything. Car is mostly stock with K&N, TT 92 octane chip, and a test pipe. Car started to smoke right after test pipe was installed.
Thanks for any advice,
Jim

#916 started blowing blue smoke last week; pretty sure it's from the turbo. Among other things, it has about a quarter inch in-and-out play in the shaft. I understand that is no good. My question: Do I get this rebuilt or replace it? I wouldn't mind a little quicker spool-up. Is there a better turbo that is a direct replacement that fits under the heat shield. My mechanical abilities are limited, so I don't want to be cutting, welding, or fabricating anything. Car is mostly stock with K&N, TT 92 octane chip, and a test pipe. Car started to smoke right after test pipe was installed.
Thanks for any advice,
Jim
I believe that a TA-49, TE-44 will fit but check, on percisions site

turbo

A TE60 bolts right on, and you can still keep the shield.You may need a converter also. But a TA49 is probably your best bet.Bolt it on and go.

I would say the TA49 would be your best bet, wanting to keep it stock looking, stock turbo shield etc. also the 49 spools very well with the stock converter.

The 44/49/GT6131 would be good. The 6131 Dual ball bearing would be best if you want to spend the extra money.

Anything but a stocker will require some sort of modification. Nothing will spool faster than the stocker.

If the car is not raced, leave the stocker. Send it to Precision or Limit and have it rebuilt.

Thanks for all the input. We'll be moving in about two weeks, so I probably won't take it apart until it's in its new garage. Meantime, I'll start investigating my choices.

Rebuilt Turbo

Had it rebuilt by Precision; cleaned the intercooler while I was in there. No more smoke, and it's running great. Thanks for the help, guys.

Did the wheels need replacement? 1/4" is huge play. Did the housing need work. Give us full details if you don't mind. I have a TE44 that was a monster on my car and it is also in need of a wheels and rebuild. $580 sounds reasonable if the wheels are included in the price.
Thanks,
JAZ

I'll try to dig up the invoice. If I recall correctly, the wheels were replaced and some machine work was done on the exhaust side, among other things.

Did they put a large shaft in? The price seems very reasonable. I can't get a quote around here. They all say," we wont have any idea till we get into it" translation... once we have it we are going to hammer you with the price and hold your turbo hostage for payment.
How very cynical:rolleyes: