Bad Converter??

JaBoT

My converter stays locked all the time, even in first. could this be a bad converter?

your converter isnt bad your lock up solinoid thingy is. Follow the wires on the left side of your transmition just above the pan and unplug it. You can drive the car around town with out it locking up but do not take it on the highway. In overdrive there is no oil flow going through the tranny cooler with the lock up solinoid unpluged.
To change it out you need to drop your tranny pan and you mite as well change out your tranny filter. you will also need a new gasket for the pan as well. The new solinoid will have clips on it but your better off to sodder them together and heat shrink tubes on the wires. There will be 4 wires comming from the plug. Two wires will go to pressure switches and the other two go to the lock up solinoid. and 2 bolts holding the solinoid in place. Let me know if this will help you out.

ok, there's actually a little more to the story than i had wrote.
I origanly had an art car nonlock converter the went bad. I sent it to a local trany shop (I know big mistake) to have the lockup valve and o ring put back in (fiqured that was a pretty strait foward job for any tranny guy). Also i had them put in an orange stripe i had laying around.
Well he put it all in and said it was working till it warmed up, at which point it just stayed locked as soon as you put it in gear (car would stall). So I said the valve he put in is probably stuck but he insists the converter is bad. Which is why I asked the question if its possible for a converter to go bad like that. I really don't have the money to buy a new converter just to find out it was the valve!

Thanks

the valve is stuck or installed upside down ,misassembled.either that or he never removed the non lock up valvein which case itl stall as soon as it is put in gear.

It sounds like to me that sombody is ripping you off. There is no way the valve can be installed upside down or backwards unless you use a ball peen hammer then you will have some extra parts left over that might be in little pieces. Did you pull the plug off yet and try driving it around to see if the converter lockes up? I am a bit currious if I am right.

He said when he put it together and it was staying locked he removed the tcc solinoid ( to check if the tcc was bad) and it was doing the same thing. That was the last i talked to him.