backorder! WTH!

justin84

done
I am not here to name names at all. I just want to say that I think it is horrible that some vendors will not put "out of stock" on their websites just for the sake of a sale. I have ordered a ton of parts lately and was being held up by just a couple of parts that I could have gotten from various other vendors but chose to go with a company I had trusted. Now, I am on my way out of town and had not even gotten an E-mail from said vendor. I believe that it would be in your best interest to inform us at the time you get the order (whenever that may be) that the item is on backorder. Why do you ask for our phone number anyways if you aren't going to do so? I needed these parts and that's why I ordered them! Please please please, have your websites reflect what you have! Not what you hope to have sometime between now and a week from now or later. You want us to be happy and keep making these repeat orders like I always do. Come on guys, help us help YOU!

Kirbans has done that to me a few times,I do get the parts shortly after. I agree a phone call or email would be nice.

Because most vendors do not have fully computerized inventory, or the IT staff to keep their websites updated daily. While it sounds simple enough, the software to integrate these features are sometimes cost prohibitive (I write and edit code for this kind of stuff every day--trust me), and still you have to have somebody to update the web pages regularly, which also is not as simple as most people might think. Ask anyone who has ever worked with html, vbscript, etc etc etc.

Because most vendors do not have fully computerized inventory, or the IT staff to keep their websites updated daily. While it sounds simple enough, the software to integrate these features are sometimes cost prohibitive (I write and edit code for this kind of stuff every day--trust me), and still you have to have somebody to update the web pages regularly, which also is not as simple as most people might think. Ask anyone who has ever worked with html, vbscript, etc etc etc.

That would be only 1/3 the issue....Again, why not call or E-mail the person keeping your doors open! And also, I know that you can edit a page when stock is out. I see them do this all the time at this particular website. Maybe you work on a different set-up? Also, if it's that hard to do then invent a way for it to be easier and sell the heck out of it! My point is, I would not have made the order if I had known it was not in stock. I have a vacation coming up and was waiting on these parts. We as the customer, need to know these things.

I had this happen with Turbos, wire harnesses, seat foams, turbosaver, etc etc
Everytime I had to call and find out where my stuff is after they had been paid and a week or so goes by and no product shows up.

Another thing thats chaps my hide is no shipping/track # sent out when the product is sent.

I have to say the best service I have ever had in reference to the above said topics is nos4gn/highway stars. They let you know all the details!

I don't understand their mentality

I'm haveing problems with a vendor now. Will not return calls--sells a product with no instructions--I DID talk to him @ the start of install (July 5). He told me that he didn't send instructions because he wanted to talk to his customers. What kind of logic is that? He did call back on the 20th after I put a negative post concering his product and looking for assistance. Threatened me and call me all the names available. I don't understand--it's as if "I will take your $ but don't bother me untill you're ready to spend more". I'm sure all are not this way as I know some that will bend over backwards to help. It does seem more and more are developing this attitude. I'm too old for this.

I'm haveing problems with a vendor now. Will not return calls--sells a product with no instructions--I DID talk to him @ the start of install (July 5). He told me that he didn't send instructions because he wanted to talk to his customers. What kind of logic is that? He did call back on the 20th after I put a negative post concering his product and looking for assistance. Threatened me and call me all the names available. I don't understand--it's as if "I will take your $ but don't bother me untill you're ready to spend more". I'm sure all are not this way as I know some that will bend over backwards to help. It does seem more and more are developing this attitude. I'm too old for this.

I have a strong feeling I know what vendor this is as I have just recently have had a really similiar issue :eek:. I was also threatened and called names also in a few exchanges. :rolleyes:

That would be only 1/3 the issue....Again, why not call or E-mail the person keeping your doors open! And also, I know that you can edit a page when stock is out. I see them do this all the time at this particular website. Maybe you work on a different set-up? Also, if it's that hard to do then invent a way for it to be easier and sell the heck out of it! My point is, I would not have made the order if I had known it was not in stock. I have a vacation coming up and was waiting on these parts. We as the customer, need to know these things.

I agree some sort of notification falls under the heading of "customer satisfaction", yes that burden falls to the specific vendor, and yes some are better than others. (Kirban usually sends me notice in such cases), I will also agree that a vendor should have (in theory) a dedicated IT geek to keep the webpages updated. All I'm saying is compared to Jeg's, Year One, etc people like Jack Cotton (just for the sake of example) probably don't do the comparative volume to justify the added cost of adding a server and the sotware. A truly interactice webpage that shows real time inventory levels and sends notice when that qty is wrong COULD be done. Hell give me 6-9 months I could probably have a prototype working but it is very labor intensive, hense the higher costs of ADP or Reynolds & Reynolds inventory management software.

I understand this

I agree some sort of notification falls under the heading of "customer satisfaction", yes that burden falls to the specific vendor, and yes some are better than others. (Kirban usually sends me notice in such cases), I will also agree that a vendor should have (in theory) a dedicated IT geek to keep the webpages updated. All I'm saying is compared to Jeg's, Year One, etc people like Jack Cotton (just for the sake of example) probably don't do the comparative volume to justify the added cost of adding a server and the sotware. A truly interactice webpage that shows real time inventory levels and sends notice when that qty is wrong COULD be done. Hell give me 6-9 months I could probably have a prototype working but it is very labor intensive, hense the higher costs of ADP or Reynolds & Reynolds inventory management software.

Just not enough volume or $. What eirks me is to call for a part and be told it is in stock "have it in my hand and will ship today". Your credit card is run that day. From Chicago to BG--what 3 day @ the most. I'm waiting on it and looking for it--takes 14 days to show. I'm a cold bastard--that just don't cut it with me. That's just a sample of the problems I'm having. Eash day it is something new. Thanks for letting me vent. I need a HUG !!!!--Lee

Kirbans has done that to me a few times,I do get the parts shortly after. I agree a phone call or email would be nice.

Same issue for me with them. Had that happen a few times. The last time I ended up getting a refund from them and took my business elsewhere.

It's not hard to edit a webpage indicating that an item is out of stock.

I dont know it can be frustrating especially when you know you can make a product of similiar or if not better quality. Making a purchase for something I know I can do myself is based upon a few things.

Firstly time management, and secondly how much is your time worth.

This is coming from someone who is now wating on a cold air intake where the funds are now been in the vendors hands for since the 11th. Someone parts I could put together myself and send out to chrome would probably take about the same amount of time. The end result would probably be better and as funtional.

I like paying for what is the best for what I can get. Making a purchase takes countless hours of research and if not weeks of research as to components, or the products in question. I suppose with all the time invested in the research of the products and or their components you could quantify the costs based upon keeping track of your time consumed. It is never that cut and dry especially when you enjoy spending the time to do the research.

So waiting for the best or what you have researched as the best will make you not want to pressure the vendor. I suppose this could add to the frustration when you yourself work for clients who put strict deadlines upon your work. Working in the power generation industry when a client has an issue with a time overrun on a schedule they are the ones who pay the costs. Not only do they get penalized for going over schedule and not being back on the grid they continue to pay till the job is done.

That is why there is considerable costs for instant gratification. Then there needs to also be the consideration of other key features such as customer support, the benefits of a superior or better value for not having a big brand name attached to it. All of these decisions can weigh in on the purchase.

Here is an example placed an order the 6th funds electronically clearedthe 9th and was told on the 6th the product "should" (not shall, or stronger suggestion) be out the door for shipping in 7-10days. So I chose to go with a lesser name even though purchasing a trans from say TCI would probably alredy be in the vehicle if not at the shop being instaled already. The pitfall of going with a smaller shop who offers a superior product at a compareable price.

The only frustration added to the situation is I now own a full teardown manual and DVD so I can rebuild the original transmission when time allows. Aready seeing how simple the transmissions are I could upon having all the parts complete a full teardown, inspection, and rebuild in probably less than 16hours. This would be contingent upon no major parts being worn or of questionable inspection. This would be upon doing my first transmission the ones to follow would take considerably less time if not half the time once the process is fresh and repetitious.

Time consumed on waiting for parts especially when you do not have them handy or in stock only makes the entire process take infinitly longer. And the costs associated when adding time pressure scheduling will only make the price tag double if not tripple in the end. A prime example would be having a LP rotor weighing 120tons ordered to cast. The casting of the turbine from GE would take a year just to get the casting rights. If you wanted one tommorow the cost would be exponential. :eek:

I do not have a problem waiting on good products, but products that require misleading modification under the premise of not having the pecifications available from their manufactureres. An example would be from a well known vendor who sells oil air cleaners for the passenger side valve cover. The directions specifially mention (loose but close quote). "Air cleaner should have 1/2" cut off from cleaners neck so as to not bottom out on the baffle inside the valve cover"... "The manufacturers do not produce them in the modified state".. The reality of the situation was the small air cleaner would not clear the bracket for the turbo charger due to the arc radius and clearance of trying to install the cleaner impossible. After cutting 3/8" off the neck the air cleaner just barely fit in. I am not a big fan of having to modify a part that should be plug and play to begin with. The product does look good but having to perform the modification only removed my option of returing the product. As for the manufacturers not being able to produce the product with the specifications I call Bull-roar.

So here I still wait patiently when not enjoying the beautiful weather in the GN. The nice thing with beautiful weather is that there are many options such as the boat, the beach and bikinis over the car.

I dont know it can be frustrating especially when you know you can make a product of similiar or if not better quality. Making a purchase for something I know I can do myself is based upon a few things.

Firstly time management, and secondly how much is your time worth.

This is coming from someone who is now wating on a cold air intake where the funds are now been in the vendors hands for since the 11th. Someone parts I could put together myself and send out to chrome would probably take about the same amount of time. The end result would probably be better and as funtional.

I like paying for what is the best for what I can get. Making a purchase takes countless hours of research and if not weeks of research as to components, or the products in question. I suppose with all the time invested in the research of the products and or their components you could quantify the costs based upon keeping track of your time consumed. It is never that cut and dry especially when you enjoy spending the time to do the research.

So waiting for the best or what you have researched as the best will make you not want to pressure the vendor. I suppose this could add to the frustration when you yourself work for clients who put strict deadlines upon your work. Working in the power generation industry when a client has an issue with a time overrun on a schedule they are the ones who pay the costs. Not only do they get penalized for going over schedule and not being back on the grid they continue to pay till the job is done.

That is why there is considerable costs for instant gratification. Then there needs to also be the consideration of other key features such as customer support, the benefits of a superior or better value for not having a big brand name attached to it. All of these decisions can weigh in on the purchase.

Here is an example placed an order the 6th funds electronically clearedthe 9th and was told on the 6th the product "should" (not shall, or stronger suggestion) be out the door for shipping in 7-10days. So I chose to go with a lesser name even though purchasing a trans from say TCI would probably alredy be in the vehicle if not at the shop being instaled already. The pitfall of going with a smaller shop who offers a superior product at a compareable price.

The only frustration added to the situation is I now own a full teardown manual and DVD so I can rebuild the original transmission when time allows. Aready seeing how simple the transmissions are I could upon having all the parts complete a full teardown, inspection, and rebuild in probably less than 16hours. This would be contingent upon no major parts being worn or of questionable inspection. This would be upon doing my first transmission the ones to follow would take considerably less time if not half the time once the process is fresh and repetitious.

Time consumed on waiting for parts especially when you do not have them handy or in stock only makes the entire process take infinitly longer. And the costs associated when adding time pressure scheduling will only make the price tag double if not tripple in the end. A prime example would be having a LP rotor weighing 120tons ordered to cast. The casting of the turbine from GE would take a year just to get the casting rights. If you wanted one tommorow the cost would be exponential. :eek:

I do not have a problem waiting on good products, but products that require misleading modification under the premise of not having the pecifications available from their manufactureres. An example would be from a well known vendor who sells oil air cleaners for the passenger side valve cover. The directions specifially mention (loose but close quote). "Air cleaner should have 1/2" cut off from cleaners neck so as to not bottom out on the baffle inside the valve cover"... "The manufacturers do not produce them in the modified state".. The reality of the situation was the small air cleaner would not clear the bracket for the turbo charger due to the arc radius and clearance of trying to install the cleaner impossible. After cutting 3/8" off the neck the air cleaner just barely fit in. I am not a big fan of having to modify a part that should be plug and play to begin with. The product does look good but having to perform the modification only removed my option of returing the product. As for the manufacturers not being able to produce the product with the specifications I call Bull-roar.

So here I still wait patiently when not enjoying the beautiful weather in the GN. The nice thing with beautiful weather is that there are many options such as the boat, the beach and bikinis over the car.

:confused: So what are you saying?

:confused: So what are you saying?

I guess what I was trying to say is it looks like it is more than one vendor back ordered. There is also a price for attention to detail. There is also a price for having parts and or assemblies there on a whim.

Owell rant off.

Yup ordered my calipers from summit and my wheels from centerline and all of them were on F-C-ing backorder i just got the calipers still waitin on the wheels...

Welcome to 2010. Every mfg has cut back on production, reduced staffing, reduced IT staff, etc etc etc. I go through this on a daily basis sourcing parts. Before i could get away having 5-8 of an item, now it needs to be 50. Becuase I know how long its going to take next time I need it. In March I ran out of an LED I use with the kit, the MFG said 32 weeks out. What kind of business is that :eek:

Small companies should take their orders by phone and notify their customer of availability at the time of order. If they cant do that, they need to be updating their site daily/hourly. If a part absolutely needs to be somewhere at a specific time, do not order it online. Unless instructed by the vendor.

Good luck.. times have changed.. our hobby is in trouble :redface:

Welcome to 2010. Every mfg has cut back on production, reduced staffing, reduced IT staff, etc etc etc. I go through this on a daily basis sourcing parts. Before i could get away having 5-8 of an item, now it needs to be 50. Becuase I know how long its going to take next time I need it. In March I ran out of an LED I use with the kit, the MFG said 32 weeks out. What kind of business is that :eek:

Small companies should take their orders by phone and notify their customer of availability at the time of order. If they cant do that, they need to be updating their site daily/hourly. If a part absolutely needs to be somewhere at a specific time, do not order it online. Unless instructed by the vendor.

Good luck.. times have changed.. our hobby is in trouble :redface:

All good points. This is NOT a small vendor though. They have been in TR's since the begining. I know that times have changed but YOU are still making money. As long as you are making money you have a duty to your customers to make them happy and have a good transaction. I also was about to order not one but two Alky kits from you. Should I be worried about these LED lights? :p

All good points. This is NOT a small vendor though. They have been in TR's since the begining. I know that times have changed but YOU are still making money. As long as you are making money you have a duty to your customers to make them happy and have a good transaction. I also was about to order not one but two Alky kits from you. Should I be worried about these LED lights? :p

I can't speak for how others run their business, I lose sleep when I can't deliver on a promise.
With that being said... Order those kits before I run out of led's :)

you da man, Razor

I can't speak for how others run their business, I lose sleep when I can't deliver on a promise.
With that being said... Order those kits before I run out of led's :)

Others could, and should take lessons from you. BTW, how much is the tank you sent me? I may have enough saved now.