Backfire under wot and lost idle

Yeh, being in the UK means that this forum is my lifeline! No one close to help here!
Is there a way to check the module seperate from the coilpack? I have seen a thred where it showed how the wires were earthing out in the sensor. Even so, can't see two coilpacks/modules having identical problems.

I've had it with this damned car.
I've tried pretty much everything suggested and still the car breaks down under hard acceleration, not even close to WOT
To save reading all the above, over the past month I have;
checkd and refitted intercooler hoses
checked intercooler for damage
replaced PCV and vac pipes
ohm checked plug leads
changed over complete coilpack
changed MAFs
check TPS and re-set
changed plugs and gapped correctly
tonight I undid the cam sensor plug and ran the car. Still has the problem
checked FP rises with boost and holds
checked FP with ign turned on for 15 mins, no drop
I give up. Is there any way a decent garage could run tests because I dont know what else to do.:(
i'm actually now on the verge of offering the car back to the previous owner who i know misses the car...

Just posted on your other thread and was reading some of your other posts to get an idea of your problem. What chip do you have and who did the upgrades to your car?

One other thing. Do you have anyway to monitor injector duty cycle? What boost are you running and if it's allot have you tried turning it down and seeing if the pop goes away?

Hi Blackbandit, thanks for checking in! I have a TT 5.6 chip, boost is only up to 18 and I'm not getting close to that before it dies. No way of checking injector cycle. Car runs perfectly at any other time.
I installed alky, chip and RJC boost controller. al these ran just fine until a month back when it suddenly dived on me under hard throttle. Nothing since has stopped this problem despite what I have tried.

Hi Miles,

What do you mean by 'dive' ? Or do you mean backfire?

Does it do it when the alky is on? Or have you tried it without the alky?

You say that the dive happens long before 18psi of boost. Try turning the boost down to about 15 ps, stick in some super unleaded, turn off the alky and see if it does it then. By doing this you are eliminating high power stuff and letting the car run in 'stock' or close to 'stock' tune.

If I remember correctly, the coil pack attaches to the ignition module with torx screws. You could split them and have a look. Check the connectors are okay (be careful pulling the wires off). Check for any signs of insulating material 'melting' or looking 'odd'. Make sure the little captive screw that holds the igntion module cable in place is fairly tight, but not strong armed on there.

TPS - turn the ignition on and watch the scanmaster (multimeter in the old days) while you press the throttle. The voltage rise should look linear and rise nice and gently with no jolts or spikes. Again, make sure that the screws that hold the TPS are tight enough to hold it in place and it is not moving during throttle pressing. Get your wife to press the accelerator and watch the TPS for movement just to be sure.

Check the Y vacuum pipe to the turbo and boost solenoid for splits.

It may sound daft, but if you have a K&N air filter, check it is okay and not excessively dirty. If it looks dirty, whip it off and wash it in the sink with washing up liquid and a paint brush that can get in to the pleats. You will be shocked at how much crap comes off them. Let it drip dry in the sun. If you have K&N oil, all the better, and give it a spray afterwards. If your car has a Kenne Bell type scoop that pushes air up to the K&N and you have been drving in the rain and the K&N gets wet, it can cause funny 'break up' problems. Tom Chou and I worked on a Canadian guys car at the GS Nats at the Motel 6 and it was killing us, until we discovered the K&N was wet. Dried it out and the car ran fine.

If you still have the black concertina pipe between the MAF and the turbo, check it for holes and if you find any, just wrap it with insulating tape. Watch for the stud that runs through the tensioner bracket. It is longer than necessary and can (a) puncture the concertina pipe if you have a K&N or (b) cause a solid pipe to rattle against it and MAF's don't like that.

All being well, we will be at the Nats (with the Regal) and Ian will be there too. If the GN drives okay up there, we could have a look, listen and drive and offer opinions. And, if it is still troublesome, wave it in Steve's face again.

Or, are you bringing the Cougar and sneaking in with the Mustang boys?

It doesn't help that you are at one end of the country, I am at the other, and Ian is in the middle.

Alternatively, we could lowball Arther an offer between us and buy his GN for spares for us all.

ATB

Does it do it when the alky is on? Or have you tried it without the alky?

You say that the dive happens long before 18psi of boost. Try turning the boost down to about 15 ps, stick in some super unleaded, turn off the alky and see if it does it then. By doing this you are eliminating high power stuff and letting the car run in 'stock' or close to 'stock' tune.

I really agree with this. Eliminating variables makes it allot easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks Sandy, on the long list of variables, the only one I haven't checked is
a) the KN filter
b) the ign module connections. I did change over to a spare coil pack that came with the car and nothing changed, but I will split the spare one and take a look.
i've run the car withou alky on = no change.
Remember, i'm running at only 10-12 boost at present.

when I raced the car last month, it ran faultlessley over a 500 mile trip, 3 strip passes. The fault suddenly occurred without warning a couple of days later.

FP rises as it should and doesnt fall off.

Do you have any way to log data? If not it would really be helpful if you used a known good coilpack and ignition module and eliminated that. You never know, he might have had a spare for the car because one went bad. :eek: That aside I would check and clean all of your grounds. Make sure there's no paint on the block or bracket by the main ground from the battery that connects to the turbo bracket.

Thanks Bandit, I did quite a lot on the car today and may have had a result. I checked the bulkhead and fender earths' but not the one you mentioned, but I will.
I took off the intercooler, checked it all over, refitted all the hoses to the tighest application, swapped out the coilpack and the MAF (again), put more spark lead separators on and went for a run.
Drove it hard and it didn't dive once on me, got to 16lbs boost without problem before i saw KR and realised I was low on alky and backed off.
Hopefully thats it, but i'm off the road now for a couple of weeks for the dreaded UK MOT which is a very close inspection of roadworthiness, safety, emissions etc and I need to get thru that before testing again.
Thanks to all that have contributed, much appreciated and i'll update in due course:cool:

Mine doing the same thing.Did this once before .Wiped out 2 cam lobes.The other was the stock cam.Have a Reed 223 223 in it now.I have Reed 208 204 with under 500 miles on it.will try plugs and all the other tips before I pull cam.The 223 was a little big anyway.Off the line slow but pulled like a train on the topend.

timbuick,
Right after I bought my '86 T-Type several years ago, it did the same thing as yours. I have a friend who is a really good mechanic and automotive troubleshooter and he told me to take out the chip, spray it and the connector holes in the computer with electronic cleaner and put it back in. It worked. Didn't have to do anything else. Hope this helps.
John

timbuick,
Right after I bought my '86 T-Type several years ago, it did the same thing as yours. I have a friend who is a really good mechanic and automotive troubleshooter and he told me to take out the chip, spray it and the connector holes in the computer with electronic cleaner and put it back in. It worked. Didn't have to do anything else. Hope this helps.
John

Notice the date on this thread???