Backfire under wot and lost idle

Timbuick

I thought it was the crank sensor, but before I start on that, is there any other likely suspect to check?
Basically my perfect running car suddenly developed a back fire at WOT and the idle also went to crap. Ideas welcome as i have to fix this myself

I thought it was the crank sensor, but before I start on that, is there any other likely suspect to check?
Basically my perfect running car suddenly developed a back fire at WOT and the idle also went to crap. Ideas welcome as i have to fix this myself

Check all the hoses to see if one didn't rupture or blow off.

I had one of the intercooler hoses blow off under wot on my fmic and it did as you described,it was hard to see because the hose didn't come all the way off the piping.

not sure about the bad idle but my back fire under WOT was a bad plug wire.

i Checked the IC hoses first as I have had these blow off before. They are all sound, wished it was that easy, but not so lucky this time.
I can change the coil pack as I have a spare, but i'm guessing thereafter.
Went from perfect running to prety poor.
The only area seemingly unaffected was mid range throttle which seemed ok until any attempt at WOT.

Changing plugs or wires as suggested above is a possible direction. If you have another coilpak, try it, but that doesn't rule out the other more expensive component, the ignition module.

I have a spare coil pack to change and will give a visual inspection to the ignition module too.
I just unplugged the MAF and it idled smoothly. keen to test it further, I swapped in a spare MAF and no change. if I revved the motor it tended to soar up to 2000rpm. Cant have 3 bad MAFs i'm sure:eek:
Can I test drive with the MAF unplugged/ I thought the MAF readings sent the ECM fuel requirements based on air flow. Trying to fix stuf as well as learn more theory:rolleyes:

Wendy, when you say 'havoc', what were the symptoms?
My car runs fine in mid range, but not idle or WOT.

i hope i dont sound like a broken record but if you have a scanmaster, monitor your AF readings. it may be locked in on a particular number and anything above or below that number the cars not going to run right. below that number its rich, above it and the motor leans out. i had an ls1 MAF do that to me. it locked in on 23grams.

Wendy, when you say 'havoc', what were the symptoms?
My car runs fine in mid range, but not idle or WOT.

Mine spun while the car was up in rpms. It backfired and I let off, it came down to a stupidly rough idle. I found the problem before I fired it back up but it's not likely that it would have started.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm the only Buick guy around (UK) so i'm dependent on this fine board and its members advice:cool:
I have a scanmaster and it show 4 on AF with ignition off. I thought it should be 3. Not sue if that means its out of synch. That said, i have changed MAFs without significant change.i'm trying to deal with the erratic idle before finding the backfire

I had the "S" hose expand and crack the cam sensor cap. You might want to check that and look real close. also make sure the hose does not touch the cap..

Thanks, i did check the cap this weekend, looks to be fine. I've fixed the rough idle now and the car runs as it did with numbers o the scantool as they should be.
However, under hard acceleration the car still nose dives. I've checked that fuel pressure is correct and rising with boost, i've changed coillpacks. Not sure what is next

How did you fix the rough idle? And monitor your AF on scanmaster to be sure the number rises in relation to throttle input.

I fixed the idle by finding a ground that had come lose (thre grounds on one bolt on the passenger inner wing) and replacing the PCV/Check valve/vac hose plus retightening the uppipe connections. That bought it into line.
The MAF numbers do appear to be correct, although its dificult to check now as I dont want to push the car if it is malfunctioning.
It feels like the 'plug' is being pulled form the car and yet returnns instantly once I get off the throttle. TPS is correctly set too.

Make sure nothings touching your headers. Particularly the drivers side. Any codes?

Generally from prior threads that I've read it is either the crank sensor or the TPS sensor. My TPS sensor was set correctly at idle, but under load at WOT there was a dead spot. If you have a scan tool that records, make a run (not too fast or too far) and then play it back and see what the TPS volts show.

Rick, on the TPS i'm aware of the required voltage range with engine off/ignition on. What figure should i be looking for when driving and start to head for WOT?

I fixed the idle by finding a ground that had come lose (thre grounds on one bolt on the passenger inner wing) and replacing the PCV/Check valve/vac hose plus retightening the uppipe connections. That bought it into line.
The MAF numbers do appear to be correct, although its dificult to check now as I dont want to push the car if it is malfunctioning.
It feels like the 'plug' is being pulled form the car and yet returnns instantly once I get off the throttle. TPS is correctly set too.

Check the TPS connector with the key on / engine off, sit the scanmaster on the dash where you can see it of course and wiggle the connector. If that's not the problem start the car and let it idle and check all the connectors and see if one is causing the problem.

I had a bad TPS connector and it would go from .42 to 4.00 instantly just by me barely touching the wires on the connector. A new TPS connector / pigtail from O'rielly's was $9.00