B.T.U. energy

tyrod

The results some of you guys are getting with alky sound incredible to say the least. I have a question about the energy output (btu) of the alky mix compared to racing fuel at a given boost i.e. alky + 28lbs boost = x hp. 116 + 28lbs = x, x+1, or x-1 hp? I would think theres less energy with the alky because meth is rated less btu's and racing fuel is around 3% O2 in the fuel. If there isnt much difference in performance then that would mean I wont have to pay 6 or 7 bucks a gallon anymore. If anyone has some ets that compared the two that would be great. Thanks

Well see there are variables that come into play your not considering.

Examples would be charge air temp reduction you can not obtain with race gas. The hotter the air coming into the motor, the more likely it will detonate. An the tune-ups between alcohol and race gas are different. Typically timing numbers are lower, yet boost numbers are higher.

Example is reducing the duty cycle on injectors and supplementing the reduced fueling with alcohol. Like a huge 7th injector of sorts.

Your times listed in your sig are no problem on alky.

So can "you" make the same power.. or even more.. yes. But it will probably come at a higher boost level with less total timing.

Some cars with updated IC and breathing take well to alky with high timing.. its how it is.

HTH

My car runs quicker/faster on alky and less boost/timing than it does with 116 and higher boost/timing....fo real dogg!

Originally posted by turbov6joe
My car runs quicker/faster on alky and less boost/timing than it does with 116 and higher boost/timing....fo real dogg!
Thats what i was hoping to hear someone say. You runnin straight alky or a mixture? Im assuming this was done on your tta. 125mph will get the job done in a quarter. What blower and IC ? Thanks for the input.:)

Originally posted by tyrod
The results some of you guys are getting with alky sound incredible to say the least. I have a question about the energy output (btu) of the alky mix compared to racing fuel at a given boost i.e. alky + 28lbs boost = x hp. 116 + 28lbs = x, x+1, or x-1 hp? I would think theres less energy with the alky because meth is rated less btu's and racing fuel is around 3% O2 in the fuel. If there isnt much difference in performance then that would mean I wont have to pay 6 or 7 bucks a gallon anymore. If anyone has some ets that compared the two that would be great. Thanks

Methanol produces less Btu per pound but you can burn 2.5 to 3 times more methanol than you can gasoline with the amount of air. Your looking for total Btu's.

Net Energy Content BTU/LB

Gas 19,100
Methanol 8600 X 2.75 = 23,650

Methanol will make almost 20% more power.

Now if you start pulling fuel out of your calibration and substitute in methanol you should see more power and endless octane. This is how I ran my old syclone, 91 octane 11.2 @ 124.

Mark L
03 Cobra

Re: Re: B.T.U. energy

Originally posted by TurboSy
Methanol produces less Btu per pound but you can burn 2.5 to 3 times more methanol than you can gasoline with the amount of air. Your looking for total Btu's.

Net Energy Content BTU/LB

Gas 19,100
Methanol 8600 X 2.75 = 23,650

Methanol will make almost 20% more power.

Now if you start pulling fuel out of your calibration and substitute in methanol you should see more power and endless octane. This is how I ran my old syclone, 91 octane 11.2 @ 124.

Mark L
03 Cobra
turbosy, now we're talking. That was exactly what i was looking for. It all makes a lot more sense to me now. The results people are getting including yourself is a lot easier for me to swallow. It nearly seems too good to be true. Thanks. Tyrod;)