AutoZone and O'Reilly

87-WE2

Back in business!!
Just need to rant for a bit.

Be careful buying a battery from these places. DO NOT RELY ON THE STORE TO KEEP TRACK OF WARRANTY INFORMATION. KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!! I have a 2-year old Duralast from AZ in my wife's Tahoe. AZ says they have no record of a battery being purchased, even though their Duralast POS is under the hood. No warranty - no replacement or EVEN PRORATE. Found the receipt and their explanation is "the sales rep that sold you the battery failed to file the warranty info". Yeah right...they have all kinds of record of crap I purchased there like shop towels and vacuum fittings, but nothing on their battery.

SAME EXACT THING happened to me on the batteries for my '04 GMC diesel with O'Reilly. No record of any warranties until I coughed up the receipt. The sales clerk was bumfungled when I showed up with the receipts and demanded my free replacement POS batteries. Same exact story from O'Reilly - sales rep that sold you the batteries didn't file the warranty crap.

B effin' S. I'm just a little too cynical to believe that load of elephant crap from TWO places. I think they COUNT on customers not keeping their receipts so they have to pay for another POS battery that SHOULD be under warranty.

Rant over - keep ALL your receipts for parts. Thanks for listening.

I won't buy a battery from autozone anytime soon, the duralasts i used 3 years ago ended up being prayitlasts.
Bought a yellowtop optima after going thru 3 or 4 prayitlasts in less than a year. Havent had any problems and back then they were 150ish, hope i get another 3 years or so from it as it powers my 87 TR without a problem.
I'll never get a cheap battery again, was too much of a headache and pain to deal with.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Has anyone ever noticed that a lot of receipts seem to fade very quickly? Imagine how much money this saves in warranty and returns.

Yeah they seem to fade fairly quickly unless they go in a box or drawer away from sunlight.

My stuff at orielly is through a phone number I use. I have several water pumps and alternators like this. You do need to know about when you purchased it originally. I get batteries at wally world. The last one went four years and I thought I got my money's worth.
That receipt fade thing, take a pic with your phone and put them in a file so you can find it later. Then you have something when the receipt fades to white.

Auto Zone is a last resort for me. I've not had any good luck with them. Maybe I expect too much.

Has anyone ever noticed that a lot of receipts seem to fade very quickly? Imagine how much money this saves in warranty and returns.
Yep, don't keepem in your wallet that's for sure, they fade fast in there

You get what you pay for. Dura last gold batteries are the same as die hards.

If you buy the cheaper versions you are getting crap. Most batteries crap out as soon as the warranty expires.

If you do a lot of jump starting, have a eletrical problem or it sits with no tender it's not gonna last.

I've worked at both companies years ago and I always told ppl to keep their receipts. Those computers are like any other computers. One upgrade or crash and you're screwed. Why should the store keep your info anyway. That's a courtesy they offer.

I only go to autozone if absolutely necessary.
Oreillys is much better but their top of the line batteries don't compare to the gold.

I haven't had any issues with parts from auto zone but I haven't bought a battery from them I usually get them from walmart. The last walmart battery I bought is going on 7 years now. Advance crapy parts is where I run into issues with bad parts and the idiots behind the counter.

I've worked for AZ and have never had an issue. I've got a commercial account with O'Reily's and have never had an issue. It may be the store rather than the records. I'd suggest that you go to a different location and try again.;)

It was duralast golds that i had gotten and had problems with. Had no electrical issues with the car at all, wasnt jumping others and was driving it almost daily. For whatever reason the batteries were going with-in 2 to 3 months after getting 4 or 5 months out of the 1st duralast gold that for some reason had a cell go bad in it. Wasn't any reason why a new battery should of been in a 2 to 3 month span going to crap like that. That's why i got tired of fighting with it and i switched to an agm deep cycle battery 3 years ago. Haven't had a battery crapping out issue since.

Sorry about your troubles, but as you've heard before, ....... you get what you pay for. You buy from the cheapest place in town, you get the cheapest parts. Right on down to the dummy behind the counter. Cheap prices and quality aren't exactly synonymous..... Complaining about service in a place like this is like complaining that McDonald's hamburgers taste like shit compared to a steak house burger.

Oh i know, that was why i spent the extra money on the yellowtop after the 3rd replacement duralast and haven't regretted it. I replaced the old battery that was in the car when i had bought it 4 years ago because it was a few years old. so i figured might as well be safe and do preventive maintenance by swapping out the battery, but i forgot what brand it was i had replaced. That was when the fun eventually began and when enough got to be enough.

You get what you pay for. Dura last gold batteries are the same as die hards.

If you buy the cheaper versions you are getting crap. Most batteries crap out as soon as the warranty expires.

If you do a lot of jump starting, have a eletrical problem or it sits with no tender it's not gonna last.

I've worked at both companies years ago and I always told ppl to keep their receipts. Those computers are like any other computers. One upgrade or crash and you're screwed. Why should the store keep your info anyway. That's a courtesy they offer.

I only go to autozone if absolutely necessary.
Oreillys is much better but their top of the line batteries don't compare to the gold.
This WAS a DLG! Two years and 3 months. I've had a hangover that lasted longer.

if they try to give you a regular receipt, tell them you want a commercial receipt- the one that has a carbon copy and a place for a signature at the bottom.. a regular receipt is printed with cheap biodegradable soy based ink that starts fading the second it comes out of the printer.

i don't know if they do it any more, but Wal Mart used to print out a special receipt for the battery and put it in a pretty heavy duty sealed plastic envelope stuck on the side of the battery.. about a decade or so ago i had a $35 Everstart that still had the receipt in the pouch hanging off the side of the battery and as far as i could tell the receipt looked brand new inside of it after 4 years..