Auto Insurance for our collector cars

grandnat_6

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking around for car insurance for my GN and have it narrowed down to Hagerty and American Collectors Insurance. Hagerty is a few hundred more per year compared to American Collectors. Does anyone have first hand with these and how their claims were handled?

Thanks!

I was with American Collectors for years until they started raising it up more than I thought it should have been.I am with Grundy $257 a year at 50,000 agreed value.

I'm with Grundy, too.

I had Hagerty a while back and had a claim with them. They were really good about things. The only reason I changed was to get a higher agreed value.

all good names to inquire what would work best. No one has mentioned JC Taylor yet, so I'll add them to this list. I have not had to process any claims so can't speak to that. Only know that coverage for spare parts inventory and annual mileage varies among companies.

So do any of these companies care about the built engine? Do u have to keep that secret, or be up front about it?
TIMINATOR

So do any of these companies care about the built engine? Do u have to keep that secret, or be up front about it?
TIMINATOR
Grundy just asked me if there are any modifications made to the Car,I said no then you set your own agreed value amount.Mine is $50,000 agreed value I pay $257 a year I will be increasing that value to $75,000 next renewal period so I will expect a pice increase.

So what happens if you say yes?
Any pics of the engine show that...
Or do you have to do engine pics?

So what happens if you say yes?
Any pics of the engine show that...
Or do you have to do engine pics?
I don’t know what would happen if you say yes, pictures of the engine would show mods on my car.They did not ask for any pictures of anything.

I think the main thing is simply getting an agreed value you are happy with. A hundred one way or the other in fees with a classic car is peanuts IMO.

I have been with Hagerty for years. @TIMINATOR They do ask if you have mods (several of my insured vehicles have mods) but basically only documented them, not penalized me for them.

Additionally I have made a large claim (with a vintage Porsche) with them and they were more than fair.

please elaborate....
I'm an estimator at one of the largest body shops in AZ. We work on highline vehicles all day long.

State Farm is the absolute WORST insurance company we deal with. 6 or 7 years ago, they were the best. Now, not so much.

You can have a $250K 2023 Porsche 911 GT3 RS and they will demand we put used parts from a wrecked one on it, if they can find them. And they will search the WORLD for them.

Worst customer oriented/concerned company EVER!

I speak from experience.

I'm an estimator at one of the largest body shops in AZ. We work on highline vehicles all day long.

State Farm is the absolute WORST insurance company we deal with. 6 or 7 years ago, they were the best. Now, not so much.

You can have a $250K 2023 Porsche 911 GT3 RS and they will demand we put used parts from a wrecked one on it, if they can find them. And they will search the WORLD for them.

Worst customer oriented/concerned company EVER!

I speak from experience.
thanks.

TIMINATOR
Not a collector car insurance deal, but a close friend was recently in an accident in his 1968 c10. He just carried liability on it, due to the body being really rough. Has a pretty rowdy small block in it, tremec tkx, just did the rear end, etc. He was just figuring insurance wouldn't like and wouldn't pay on those things anyways. Accident was not his fault, he was pulled out in front of on the highway. Adjuster looked at the vehicle, declared it a total loss, and they paid him out $10,000, rotten cab corners and all. I'm not sure if they don't care about the modifications, or if the rep just didn't know what he was looking at, but he did say they had to find 5 comparable vehicles for sale to determine a value. Might be apples to oranges, but I thought it was interesting. I would figure it looks like a $3,000 truck to the untrained eye about what's underneath. Might be different if you were at fault or if it was an act of nature, just thought I'd share what I've seen recently.