ATR Swaybar

L

LikeMy6

Just wanted to let those who are interested in buying one there is a group purchase being organized in the Group Purchase Forum. They have almost all the people needed so far.

HTH

Frank

we only need 2 more guys! anyone else want a deal on a new ATR swaybar?

I maybe interested, how well does this bar work for drag racing? Also does it keep the body from twisting?

GT

I have the ATR sway bar and it is great! It made my air bags useless. Keeps that Passenger side tire on the ground, always, without too much oversteer on the street (then again I have a pretty good overall suspension setup).

I have the ATR bar. I run an even 12psi in BOTH rear airbags. See my 60' times in my sig.

-Banning.

It is the best stock location sway bar that is currently available for our cars. The wolfe Anti-Roll bar is better but costs $400+shipping and the cost of having it welded between the frame rails comes out to $600+! and some people have exhaust pipe issues with the wolfe bar. ATR sway bar works great and you can install it yourself,and is the ideal stock location sway bar for Drag Racing.

HTH

Frank

I run 28x11.50x15 Hoosier Quicktime Pro DOT's. I have not front swaybar, just the ATR rear. I've heard good things about the Wolfe, but the ATR (and the rest of my suspension setup) works more than fine for me. I have no plans for changing it.

-Banning.

Not technical, but the ATR just looks great. It is a beefy bar and you definitely notice it when following the car. Very happy with mine after 4 years.

Bob

I could be interested if you could tell me the advatages of this unit over the stock one.

Originally posted by John B
I could be interested if you could tell me the advatages of this unit over the stock one.

The advantages are understeer is greatly reduced. This comes in handy when you run big tires in back, which can make the car plow like a farm tractor. Instead of going straight ahead when you are trying to turn, the ATR rear bar will make the car TURN.

My open road race car ('86 Pontiac 2+2) is setup similarly to my T-type with a stock bar in front and a big rear sway bar in back and it has nearly no understeer. When you want to turn, the car turns.

If you aren't used to driving a car with no understeer, the backend can come around in certain situations (equal sized tires all around, going into a corner too fast, then rapidly letting off the gas, slick pavement). If you drive the same as you did before, you will never have a problem with this, but, The rear bar allows you to take corners at a much higher rate of speed so you can get yourself into trouble, if you aren't careful (This is why car manufacturers don't put big bars on the rear from the factory)

Additional advantages of a large rear bar is it stabilizes the rear end at the drag strip. Wheel hop is eliminated and traction is transfered equally between the back tires.

The comparison to the stock bar is a Joke there is none! The stock bar is flimsy and doesnt do a very good job in transferring the load to both wheels under acceleration thats why the air bags are used. The ATR bar corrects this and allows lower air bag pressures and helps the car launch straighter. also with less body&Frame twist.

HTH

Frank

I want one, but I heard that they don't fit on metco lower arms, which is what I have. Is this true? If it will fit, count me in!

I have the metco lowers too, I thought I read somewhere that someone fit them, but maybe I'm crazy. BTW do any of you know how to setup the adjustable part fo the metco lowers(bolt in not weld)? Also if I do this will it make my car sit up higher in the back?

Anyone have some pics of one installed? Will it work with Hotchkiss lower control arms? How much of a weight difference between the ATR and the stock sway bar?

YES,
They will fit Metco lowers! ATR sells and recommends Metco lower control arms. they will work with Hotchkis as well. best method to fit the bar is to jack up the back of the car loosen both Lower CA's then try to fit the bar if needed use a file to remove some material from the swaybar, then use a rubber mallet to persuade the bar to fit between the arms. thats it !

Frank

where do people hear these rumors? of course they fit on metcos! i have metcos uppers and lowers and the atr bar,i didnt have to do any cutting, loosening or fileing. i didnt even jack the car up! if the stock bar fits metcos why wouldnt the atr bar?????