ATR External Wastegate...what to do?

Morkai

Morkai the Red
Since ATR is out of business now, does anyone still have replacement parts for them? If not, what gates are bolt-on replacements for the ATR? Which are worth having. I've heard HKS, Tial, cotton's sells a Turbonetics Evolution that'll work.

That's a lot of money to throw down not knowing much about them. I'd like to hear from those that run them. Which works good, what features etc. I want something adjustable simular to the ATR gate.

Mine might just need a new diaphram or spring, but if you can't get them, that's useless...

I've got a 38mm Tial gate on mine, bolted right up. Talk to Patrick at Precision Turbo, he should be able to help you.

DCVING 6 said:
I've got a 38mm Tial gate on mine, bolted right up. Talk to Patrick at Precision Turbo, he should be able to help you.

Tial makes a nice product as well, I can vouch for them. I have a 44mm on my Eclipse and would have gone with on the buick had a I not been in such a rush.

Kind of wish I would have been more patient, although the racegate I have on the buick works fine. It is just plain ugly.

bling? :D

Attachments

• 1hpim00082lk.jpg
    1hpim00082lk.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 447
Does the Tial have the dual ports that work with a valve or boost controler to control max boost? That was one thing I did like about the ATR gate.

I know they sell them on ebay, where is the best place to get one?

Anyone else have input on other brands?

Morkai said:
Does the Tial have the dual ports that work with a valve or boost controler to control max boost? That was one thing I did like about the ATR gate.

Anyone else have input on other brands?

Yep and that straight aluminum does look good.

I may have to get rid of my racegate.

Morkai said:

I got mine from a local Buick vendor, it came with Precision Turbo stickers on the box.

That is something I am trying to work on with mine. I have it hooked up to the MAF PRO controller and was told to leave the top port of the wastegate open. So far the boost is way to high (even with controller off), I can't turn it down at all. With a 16# spring, it ramps up past 20 and I let off. I am going to put a 10# spring in and see if that helps, otherwise I'm going to need to figure something different with the way its hooked up.

rebuilding ATR wastegates

John Craig at Limit Engineering will rebuild ATR's stuff for a reasonable price.

I had John rebuild my ATR gate two years ago. I think I paid under $50. I think he charged $25 labor plus parts.

Quicksilver said:
John Craig at Limit Engineering will rebuild ATR's stuff for a reasonable price.

Yes give them a call. I recently bought a new diaphram and gaskets from them.

I believe he does have parts for them. Mine is at Limit right now getting tweaked. They haven't gotten back to me with a price yet though.

Just to let you know the ATR makes a pretty good dam gate and it's adjustable no need to change springs like the Tial and the other gates. I know they had some problems of the valve getting stuck but I seen other gates that do the same.

The ATR gate handles almost 900HP and the valve is 1 3/4" (44mm).

I agree. I have had my ATR gate for 10 years and it has worked great. The valve did stick two years ago. But I got it fixed for $50. Otherwise rock solid boost.

Well, I guess there's no point in a rebuild now. I pulled it off and the flange its rusted out some around where the piston seats. Who's bright idea was it to put iron flanges on a SS pipe? I guess the whole DP is shot now. Even if I get the gate rebuilt, I don't know if it'll seal properly.

The gate itself doesn't look to bad, there's a little play in the guide and needs a new diaphram.

Anyone know what the best thing to do with it is, other than trashing it and buying a new one. :)

I guess it wasn't sealing too bad since I was getting over 20# of boost, just couldn't get it bring it down under that.

Well, John Craig says they can no longer build them....no parts. I feared as much, so the ATR is junk now. I guess the Tial is the answer, but I'm still concerned about the flange.

Interesting. Mine is on it's way back from Chopper. Maybe mine didn't need too many parts? $25 + shipping to get it tweaked.