ASC Sunroof

Sleeper-6

Alrighty, My car has an ASC sunroof installed in it. All I know About it is that the trunk sticker says that it was installed with 12 miles on the car. Was this a dealer option? Anyway, I need a new headliner, but before i do that. I would like to lube the works and replace the seals in the sunroof. Has anyone done this before? How bad was it, and where can I get parts?

My car has the same option and I was also wondering some of same things, I hope somebody has your answers.

I also have the "factory astro roof". I am in the process of pulling mine out to replace the weatherstripping. I bought my new weatherstrip from a buick dealer about a year ago. If you can't find it through a dealer try Kirbans or The Paddock.
I have my headliner out and would like a new one if anyone knows where to find one, please let me know.
Pulling the head liner is as far as I have gotten so far. Doesn't look too bad with out it. I thought I might be able to get the sliding cover out but the whole unit has to be pulled.
I'll post my progress when I get back to it.

I'm pretty sure that the ASC is different than the factory Astroroof. How, I don't know. Somebody out ther must have tried this, hellooo......

as i understand it, the factory roof's were ASC roofs factory installed, AND the dealer installed ones were sent out to have roof's done by an ASC dealer.....

It is my understanding that no sunroofs were installed at the factory. That they were all shipped down the road for the installation. I believe ASC was right down the road. However, I have not done any research on this and may be mistaken. I checked my trunk for that sticker and the original paperwork and found nothing. Still a mystery.

astro roof

Trunk sticker code CF5,power switch same as power window and a crank hole plastic plug.Factory crank looks like large crooked allen wrench.

Ok, So now I'm enlightened on where the roof came from. So far nobody here has ever rebuilt an ASC sunroof?:confused:

I pulled my sunroof out last night. I still don't know if it is an ASC, the motor is marked Delco. I did it by myself but it would have been a little easier with help. I will definitely need help to reinstall. The whole assembly will come out the passenger side with the window down and the door open. Removing the weatherstripping and sun shade was easy but it looks like a rebuild may not be so easy. Some parts are rivited and some appear to be spring loaded. Mine was working fine so I don't plan on a rebuild. I couldn't even see any place that would benifit from lube. You said you want to replace the seals. Are you referring to the weatherstripping? The strip around the sunroof itself is why I pulled mine. My shade also need refinished. Does anyone know where to find material? It is the same as the headliner. There is also a strip around the edge of the whole unit that meets the roof. Mine is OK. The strip for the sunroof was available from the dealer last year. Discounted price was $75. I have a part # if you need it. More info to come as I reinstall.

5liter, What does the roof switch look like? mine says ASC right in the switch. I also have the sticker in the trunk like I said. Anyways, let me know how you make out with it. I'm dreading mine.

I had a sunroof car. Here is what I found from the research that I did. It was my understanding that the Astro Roof, which is silver on top was a factory option and installed at the factory. ALL factory sunroofs had a chrome button that opened and closed the roof. The ASC roof had a black button and had the additional option of opening the roof to the "tilt" position, where just the back of the roof tilted up. If the roof was factory installed then there should be an option code on the trunk sticker.

However, after reading the posts here, I have a question. Does anybody have the option code for the factory moonroof on the trunk sticker and have a black button that operates the roof?

I have had about 7-8 factory moonroof cars....all had chrome switches....none of them "tilted"...the opening doesnt have a moulding on it...aftermarkets do

Sleeper
Mine has the chrome switch. Same switch as the PL and PW. I also have the option code CF5 on the trunk sticker. No trim on the body opening. Hope I can find my hand crank, it might come in handy right now. After a closer look, there may be a couple of points that might benifit from a little grease. Headliner getting refinished Thurs and sunroof reinstallation and Fri. I'll let you know how it goes but I don't think we have the same roof. Mine is not too bad so far and yours should be a little easier if it's an aftermarket. Closest match for material I could find is called Smoke Gray.

Yeah, Yours definately sounds like a factory job. Mine is not, so I'm going to try some local sunroof places to see what they charge to replace the seals and just give it a a sort of "tune up" before I do the headliner.

For the benefit of 5litereater and arista5 the Factory installed Astroroofs WERE NOT ASC units installed at the factory.
They are Buick units installed on the line by Buick production. Different mechanicals and everything else, the quality difference is obvious once you get the headliner out and compare and aftermarket ASC roof to the Factory installation.
They were not shipped down the road for ASC to install.

There were however some dealerships that had ASC do installs as soon as the car got to the dealership. These are dead giveaways when you see them. The headliner is different and the hole in the roof has a moulding around it.

Again, CF5's which are listed on your original RPO sticker are not ASC, not installed by ASC, etc. etc.

Yeah, Yours definately sounds like a factory job. Mine is not, so I'm going to try some local sunroof places to see what they charge to replace the seals and just give it a a sort of "tune up" before I do the headliner.

What did you ever get for prices on yours for replacement of the seals? My headliner is in good condition (no discoloration) but beginning to sag in the back drivers side. I have the seal for it, got it from East Coast T-tops, but havent started to take it around to have an estimate done. Any information would help. The rest of the car is squared off, and this would be the last big thing to do.