Are there any unwritten rules for Buick enthusiast?

Rovinfool

I am new to Buicks and about to begin on my newly purchased 84 T-type. Before I do, I was curious about the traditions of Buick enthusiast. For example:

I have driven a Land Rover for about 8 years now and in the Land Rover community they have their own little do's and dont's. Like adding chrome to a Land Rover is a big no-no. Land rover trim and accessories are always done black and changing any of that or adding any chrome to a Land Rover will likely just get you the finger every time you pass another Rover. Its not to say you can't do it, just don't expect other Rover drivers to give you the "wave" when they drive by and your rover is sitting on 20" chrome wheels.....it won't happen :biggrin: I am an offroad guy so I never had to worry about it...but I see them get run out of forums all the time for it rofl They sign up all happy then post a pic of their Rover and bright new 20+" sparkling rims then they get about 20 replies all pretty much saying the same thing....your an idiot don't come back.

With that explained....what are some of the "rules" for T-Type and GN's. For example, I was thinking of adding the front bumper trim to make the front look more like this..
TOYOT1Rs005.jpg

Is stuff like that looked down on from the Buick community? My car is white as well and when I found the above pic I pretty much would like to use it as a guide to how I want this to look once I am done. The wheels will be different of course, but the body and how it sits is what I am looking at.

The only thing that bothers me is wheel size other than 15 or 16 inches and changing the height of the body. This is only my opinion. Brad

rules , sure are.

we are an elite club of few, therefore your attitude should always reflect that.

It's best to never be seen talking to a mustang owner, exspecially one that "used to have a GN".

You must Always, ON site (even in the church parking lot) - If anybody , women or child included refers to your car as a monte- be ready to give them the tounge lashing and bloody beatdown of their life for uttering such blasphemy.

:eek:

unless you are just having fun and looking to ruffle a few feathers, don't ever ask any questions about swapping in a small block Chevy or LS engine.. Buick V8's seem to be "ok" to ask about, but still not as good as the stock V6....

other than that, it's your car that you have bought with your money, so do whatever the hell you want with it. "rules" are for weak minded sheeple.

No I chose this car because I wanted an 80's American turbo car. It was this or the "much hated lol" SVO Mustang. I had actually agreed to buy a SVO but the day I went to take him the money he said he sold it to friend that morning. I had stumbled on the T-type a few weeks earlier but chose the SVO simply because it was in near mint inside and had an engine with only 30k miles on it so it needed minimal work. But, when that sale flopped, I started researching the Buicks and kinda glad now. If all goes well, I can buy the t-type, have it painted, new wheels, ignition upgrade, new hoses & lines, and other minor upgrades for less than $4000 total. I was going to pay $5000 for the SVO and the T-type will be worth much more than the SVO once all that is done as well. I work at an O'Reilly Auto Parts so can get 90% of the parts I need for about 1/2 price of retail. I talked to the our best car restorer in town and told him I would buy all the paints and supplies and being a friend of his family he said he would cut me a really good deal to do it all.....so kinda glad im working at a parts store right now rofl

I don't do the big rims on any vehicle. I roll 16's on my rover but have built it mainly for offroad.
064.jpg

017-1.jpg

I am wanting some 16x8 or 15x8 wheels...will probably do black (powder coated) with chrome trim. But don't know if I want to do a crager style or a more traditional style. But, will def be mostly black on the wheels that I can assure you lol. Don't do chrome on much of anything. I like the blacks wheels with the white body as well.

I guess what I am trying to get at is I like tradition. I just don't know much of the Buick traditions so to speak. So I don't want to be "that guy" that pulls up to a bunch of other Buicks one day and them saying I can't believe he put the bumper trim (spoiler or whatever they call it here lol) on a t-type..you feel me?

unless you are just having fun and looking to ruffle a few feathers, don't ever ask any questions about swapping in a small block Chevy or LS engine.. Buick V8's seem to be "ok" to ask about, but still not as good as the stock V6....

other than that, it's your car that you have bought with your money, so do whatever the hell you want with it. "rules" are for weak minded sheeple.

Agreed. Waaaaaaaaayyyy back before I decided what direction I wanted to go with my project I had asked a different Buick forum if they knew what it took to install a small block chevy in a '62 Buick Special. I got responses like "I will rape you if you ask that again"..... and things along those lines. Buick fans are true to their breed and don't like mixed-race cars running around.

Anything goes! Except "DONKING" the car.

84-5 "hot air" cars aren't as respected by the community as the intercooled 86-7's but the way I look at it is they are part of our heritage.

just remember also, the buick community is sort of split. hot airs and intercooleds, then you have the carburetor guys, the supercharged guys, pontiac guys are in here as well since the TTA has the 3.8. but remember whether hot air or whatever, people will be more than willing to help. if you wanted intercooled you can make it that way or you can go bigger with hot air as well. vendors like mark still build parts for our cars. just remember also they are addictive and take a bank roll LOL. this site more than any other i have found stands together, people take care of each other, and the vendors always come through.

LOL thanks Mike....and I am use to the blowing the money on the ride. That is one reason I bought the car. I have about run out of upgrades I can to the rover beside major upgrades like rear ends ect..but, those upgrades cost so much it just isnt worth it to me. I like her where she is at so I need a new project and this is what I chose. I have been told I can add the intercooler. That will probably be a next year project as the goal right now is to just get her up and running strong. The car has set for over a year so dropping the tank cleaning it and running all new hoses and lines and changing out all the flushing all the fluids. If it is just the ignition that is wrong with the car like the previous owner thinks, then I should have it painted and some wheels on it within the next month or so.

86 in 84

Excuse me for chiming in someone else's post ,but I want to ask ,how do you feel when you see an 84 or 85 ,and they put a 86-87 intercool engine in the car.
I happen to like if it's older modle keep same engine . But looking at car (FB) he knew I was looking for Rosewood ,we talked (two hours) like car for price. He sold engine some time ago and going to drop 86 intercooled engine (mild upgrades) . I also found out no Rosewood in 84 or 85 . I'm sure it's dark red .

Just want to know how Buick guys feel about that . Ive always owned a couple of 87 GN. Never wanted 84-85 . Now I would add that to my list . ( I Love them All).

just remember also, the buick community is sort of split. hot airs and intercooleds, then you have the carburetor guys, the supercharged guys, pontiac guys are in here as well since the TTA has the 3.8. but remember whether hot air or whatever, people will be more than willing to help. if you wanted intercooled you can make it that way or you can go bigger with hot air as well. vendors like mark still build parts for our cars. just remember also they are addictive and take a bank roll LOL. this site more than any other i have found stands together, people take care of each other, and the vendors always come through.

Well there's one other option here. You can instal a 3800 Series II in it and there's a thead in the general section if you want to take a look.:biggrin:

I'm one of the C/T guys and if you think the HA guys don't get any respect then you don't know what lack of resect is.:redface: The carbed guys get the least respect of the family but we were the first. Some of us are trying to change that idea but it's a slow process.:rolleyes:

rule violation...

"Going Fast with Class" <--- That is the only rule.

I own a '92 LX; supercharged 432 inch Windsor, tko-600, and all the goodies... I have owned several and intend on building a "notch" turbo setup someday. It is hardly for the faint of heart.

YouTube - Stroked 1992 Mustang - How it sounds at idle

I also converted my rare factory moonroof '84 GN to intercooled '87 set up. Did it before anything was written on how to pull it off.

On the subject of Donks... unusual, I do agree; but seen a few done that way that actually grew on me.

You'll find in here we don't agree on everything... :biggrin

Riz the intercooled upgrade os almost the norm now but I don't see why it would be a problem, it's your car. I haven't intercooled mine yet but time will tell.

phvrod

Nice ROVER heres Mine. Youll find theres so many diffrent ways to go with these cars. i have one I wont touch. GNX- one i want to drive the 85 but with intercooler now im looking for 87 to take to the drags. This board is great and everyones help is always appreciated...Learn how to do a search and you will see about every topic has been discussed . Have fun

Attachments

• DSC_0563 comp.jpg
    DSC_0563 comp.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0474comp.jpg
    DSC_0474comp.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0661comp.jpg
    DSC_0661comp.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 159
Thanks Mike ... I didnt know there was such a strong group of " Hot Air People " Ha Ha . Good to know if I find an original 84-85. I thought I knew about GN groups since 95 , I'm back in the game again ,and want to get a couple of cars again. Ill feel good no matter what year now. Hope this car works out ,not bad for $5000 ,gives me room for another .

I'm one of the C/T guys and if you think the HA guys don't get any respect then you don't know what lack of resect is.:redface: The carbed guys get the least respect of the family but we were the first. Some of us are trying to change that idea but it's a slow process.:rolleyes:

i think you are in the wrong section mister... carbed talk goes to the back of the forum!

lololololol (please dont rape me:eek:) totally kidding ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

lol... as far as taboo or any of that junk, just do what you want. Im making my car a hot air demon, but it wont be anywhere close to stock... It is taking years and years, and my students are fed up with looking at the dusty roller, but that motor is internally flawless and built for war! I just want the paint to match!!! lol

Good luck with the buy and post more pix of the buick!!!!!

john:D

I will post picture if I buy . Dont want to tip off car yet .

I did talk to someone with 87 Turbo limited totaly taken apart and repainted .With front fender side marker ,opera and dash emblem light all power,all stock. He wants $17,000 (160k) ,that will only mean one trailer queen ,I want to have fun too.

I have a feeling the 84 ,he also has stock rims. But I dont think it's the fan looking one . If I buy car will be posted here to see.

If I buy have room for another engine. Could come out and , Ill get get 84-85 engine . Also see if I can track down the original,he gave to freind. So when buy second car have backup (engine) .

Thanks for replie

i think you are in the wrong section mister... carbed talk goes to the back of the forum!

lololololol (please dont rape me:eek:) totally kidding ;)

john:D

Just remember that with out our cars you wouldn't have yours John.:tongue:

Now you have an idea what I mean about bottom of the barrel.:mad: