Are the intercooled cars notably faster than the HA cars?e

phicho

This is probably a dumb question from a new guy to the GN community. Are the intercooled cars faster than the HA cars? and if so how much? To go faster would be cheaper to just buy an 86 or 87 turbo car?

When you compress air, the molecules rub against each other more and it generates heat...them more you compress (more boost) the more heat....and the more boost you have, more power comes with it by allowing you to add more fuel along with the extra air (boost).

An intercooler acts like a car's radiator to cool the pressurized air charge. Cooler air is more dense, which allows more air/fuel per given volume.

Hope this helps.

IMO. Just buy an 86-87 turbo car. Way better of a starting point. Stock vs stock the 86-87 is quite a bit faster. HA cars run about a mid 15 stock from what I've seen. 86-87s run 13s

The answer is ultimately the 86/87 cars because their design allows for much larger turbos. The invention of methanol injection and the use of E85 has mitigated the advantages of an intercooler. The most air and fuel through the motor will be the fastest. My 2 cents. Brad

There are limitations to the 84/85 hardware, which limit the possible performance of the car.

The ECM is very basic, and the chips available have much fewer features. (Upgrading to an 86/87 ECM is pretty simple though)

The turbo requires a carbon style seal, which limits the available turbo upgrades.

The intake manifold is very restrictive.

And there is no intercooler...

These said, there are several guys on here with very quick "Hot Air" cars. If your goals are modest, then a HA car can be a lot of fun.

Bob

That was the simple answer, now if you REALLY want to know, put on your thinking cap and check this out.
Intercooler Theory

My head just expanded, contracted, then exploded.

I have owned both, and yes noticeably faster. The torque curve in the H/A cars is great, they get up and go. The I/C cars are just more advanced and that get's put to the pavement.

I have owned both, and yes noticeably faster. The torque curve in the H/A cars is great, they get up and go. The I/C cars are just more advanced and that get's put to the pavement.

Clean-up on asile 7

Not hard to make yours pop, is it Dan.:biggrin:

The key here is the second part of the response. By using some sort of cooling effect on the pressurized air the air charge will allow for more fuel. The intake on the HA cars was designed for bottom end torque more than top end performance. By using some sort of cooling effect you can cram more air in so you can also cram more fuel in it.

Clean-up on asile 7

LOL:biggrin:

I’ll throw in my 2 cent worth as well. I was aware when I bought my car that there was a difference between 86/87 and 84/85 turbo Regals. However that really didn’t matter that much when I found my car, I fell in love with it and had to get it. I looked a several cars in the area and this car just spoke to me and consumed my thoughts.

It was a strong running car that had been taken care of and definitely was a head turner. Simply put, we deserved each other and that’s what really mattered to me. Being the biggest, baddest thing on the streets was not important and to this day still isn’t.

In other words, buy the car that really grabs you and don’t get too wrapped up in if it’s intercooled or not.

i can vouch on the 86-87 being faster. but stock for stock there really is only about a 1 second difference.

i dynoed my stock 84wh1 this past weekend. the only mod is the cat is gutted due to it coming apart and causing a no boost issue. It still has the stock exhaust.

the first pull was 144. hp 260 tq @ the rear wheels

The second pull was 185hp 300tq the only change that was made was the maf sensor and elbow was removed from the air box.

So that tells us how bad the air box assembly is. It has a paper filter in it too.

so the next this was we removed the lower half of the air box and just had the air filter and the top of the air box and the the maf sensor and elbow hooked up just like stock.

doing that netted 177 hp 292TQ. so i'm sure there will still be a gain in using a k/n filter and still leave the lower air box off. Doing that leaves about 3 inches of the filter exposed all the way around.

so i really think the 84-85 car were underrated too................

the boost was 12-13 psi.

Go get-um hot-air

i can vouch on the 86-87 being faster. but stock for stock there really is only about a 1 second difference.

i dynoed my stock 84wh1 this past weekend. the only mod is the cat is gutted due to it coming apart and causing a no boost issue. It still has the stock exhaust.

the first pull was 144. hp 260 tq @ the rear wheels

The second pull was 185hp 300tq the only change that was made was the maf sensor and elbow was removed from the air box.

So that tells us how bad the air box assembly is. It has a paper filter in it too.

so the next this was we removed the lower half of the air box and just had the air filter and the top of the air box and the the maf sensor and elbow hooked up just like stock.

doing that netted 177 hp 292TQ. so i'm sure there will still be a gain in using a k/n filter and still leave the lower air box off. Doing that leaves about 3 inches of the filter exposed all the way around.

so i really think the 84-85 car were underrated too................

the boost was 12-13 psi.

Go get-um hot-air

Ooops, started a thread just about all this

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech/328836-stock-air-box-crap.html