Are T-Tops that bad?

I've never been a fan of T-Tops. I don't like water in my lap and I just don't like how they look on a TR.

Boy, this is really weird.

I post a lot of F-body boards, and one thing a lot of people have in common there is that they SWEAR by their T-tops! Sure, there are people that prefer a hardtop F-body, but most of the drivers love their t-tops, whereas on here, they are cursed for the most part.

Maybe 4th gens are stiffer than G-bodies, but I've never noticed a flex in the V8 cars.

Anyway, I hear the leak complaint a lot from 3rd gen owners...most 4th gens don't seem to leak much (mine don't, knock on wood).

The difference between f-bodies and g-bodies regarding t-tops is that I think t-tops were a higher priority in the design of the f-bodies. It shows when you look at the way the t-top parts on an f-body just seem to flow better with the design of the car. On the g-body it seems like it was more of an after thought.

The difference between f-bodies and g-bodies regarding t-tops is that I think t-tops were a higher priority in the design of the f-bodies. It shows when you look at the way the t-top parts on an f-body just seem to flow better with the design of the car. On the g-body it seems like it was more of an after thought.

I can completely agree with that. My friends T/A even has a nice holder under the hatch to store them(does anyone make something like this for our cars?). However a couple of the ones I have been in did leak, so I wouldn't say they fixed that(and remember there a lot newer than our cars)

Either way I like my t-tops:) and would/will own another t top TR

All depends on what YOU want

PROS:
- at the Woodward Dream Cruise I always hear "Oh cool....it has t-tops". I doubt many hard top owner hear "Oh wow...it has a solid roof". Clearly t-tops are crowd pleasers and I crave the attention (bad childhood).
- fun to have the wind in your hair (to be honest I don't often take them out but the potential is there)
- negates that "wow...it is like a coffin in here" feeling.
- very 'open' feeling even with them in.

CONS:
- the t-tops rattle. No matter how much bracing they will rattle. It is a fact of how they are constructed. It only happens to me on the washboard gravel road I live on. Once I hit the pavement all is quiet. Just buy a loud ass radio.
- once the seals get old and tired they are prone to leaks. My 84 cutlass was like standing in a shower when it was raining....the GN is drip dry.
- structural integrity? Toss in a cage (hey you are thinking of serious racing anyway) and be done with it....end of flex. There are tons of under 11 second t-top cars out there.

Tops only hurt the value if they person buying doesn't want them. Same as color and options.

For me, I specifically looked for one so in my case.....no t-tops = no sale.

All depends on YOU...the buyer. If you are still torn...find someone who has one and go for a ride.

Originally posted by Captain Duckman
Boy, this is really weird.

Maybe 4th gens are stiffer than G-bodies, but I've never noticed a flex in the V8 cars.

Not for nothing, but our cars make more torque than them, especially after we do some minor bolt-on mods (which probably better than 95% of the TR owners here have done). Trust me, a unibody construction car isn't stiffer than a full-frame car.

maybe the solid roof owners are just made at the world cause they are shut in that black box :D

not only are t-tops cool when they are off but at night when they are on, its like having mirrors on your ceiling if you catch my drift :eek: ;)

Originally posted by turbonatr
Not for nothing, but our cars make more torque than them, especially after we do some minor bolt-on mods (which probably better than 95% of the TR owners here have done). Trust me, a unibody construction car isn't stiffer than a full-frame car.
Well I guess I should've added that I've only ridden in a V8 F-body twice :(: an LT1, and an LS1, so I guess I shouldn't base much of a decision on that.

My brother did have a 3rd gen T/A....but is was an LG4 305, so I won't count that :)