Are T-Tops that bad?

I had an Astroroof GN... best of both worlds... :)

I like T-Tops in the summer (heck ive owned MANY t-top cars) but the astroroof is more convenient and has almost the same benefits...

They are almost always a love it or hate it item. I myself have stopped reading several GN for sale ads as soon as I see the words hardtop or astroroof. But, since mine will be covered in a garage 99% of the time and only driven on nice sunny days I really want t-tops. Also it will not be raced EVER so I see no downside to them. Of course, I don't actually own one quite yet. If I was buying a "beater" to chop up and race it would be a zero option hardtop car. Just my 2 cents.

bob

my ss leaks and my hurst is rock solid. its luck of the draw. i hate the drip on the leg!!!! T-tops are good for anything but 86-87 tr's cause those are the only g-bodies that came with any real power.

A word for the wise, the installer of my tinted windows, states not to add aftermarket tint to the tempered T-Tops. The reason is once the factory tint and aftermarket tint are between the glass, it will cause heat build up and crack the glass tops.

Just some information before adding tint.

Thomas

Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, everything else being equal, hardtops bring more money as a general rule. I am pretty old and narrow minded, ( read that: supposedly, I can see through a keyhole with both eyes open ), but I have had 4 '86-'87 gn/t-types, all hardtops, and I would not have it any other way. I, too, quit reading when I come to the phrase "T-Tops". I am only guessing, but I would call the difference between a solid roof '86-'87 gn, and a t-top '86-'87, in a showroom condition no mileage car at about $ 3500, everything else being equal. Slightly less for t-types. In fact, I am looking for another daily driver to replace my existing daily driver, and it, too, will be a hardtop. Say, that does sound pretty narrow minded. Oh well. All above IMHO & FWIW

ANOTHER T-TOP STORY

Fellow 10 minutes from me has an '87 GN with 2100 miles...every option...including t-tops.

Absolutely perfect, garaged since day 1...m-i-n-t.

Been for sale off & on several times locally in the past 3-4 years.

He says people will call, ask if hardtop or not, & just say "Thanks" and hang-up when he says it's a t-top car.

(BTW, these tops have NEVER been out, even once!) :eek:

With T-Tops the headliner wont fall in on you:p

My wife and I went on a 500 mile cruise a few weeks ago in northern Michigan with the T-Tops out the whole way and it was awesome. I wont ever have a hardtop. I think they are boring. However if my car was a DD or a racer I would have a hardtop. But it isnt and never will be, so off they come!

Re: ANOTHER T-TOP STORY

Originally posted by Two Lane
Fellow 10 minutes from me has an '87 GN with 2100 miles...every option...including t-tops.

Absolutely perfect, garaged since day 1...m-i-n-t.

Been for sale off & on several times locally in the past 3-4 years.

He says people will call, ask if hardtop or not, & just say "Thanks" and hang-up when he says it's a t-top car.

(BTW, these tops have NEVER been out, even once!) :eek:

I think this varies by region. In MI T-Top cars are easy to sell and get every bit as much as hardtop cars. The only time they are a turnoff is for serious strip duty

Gee, I don't know:
It seems to me that Kirbans sells these things for a living, or at least it is a hell of a big hobby for him. Either way, I doubt that he loses a lot of money selling them. I don't see any t-tops for sale in either his current "for sale" items, or his previous "sold" listings, but he does list "astro roofs". If he has or does sell them, why hasn't or doesn't he list them, and if he hasn't or doesn't sell them, why not.
Just a thought
Personnel preference of hardtop. astro-roof, moon roof, or t-top would make for an interesting query / poll.
Aren't the t-top channels known for severe rust problems, also.

Ive NEVER driven in a t-top car until last week. I've had a solid roof car for almost 4 years now

I test drove a 87 limited t ..... oh MAN thing had alot more noises and was not as solid. I know there are braces out there but it was night and day.

I would say if you NEED t-tops to find a very low milage car, when looking for cars I liked the idea of t-tops too ....but I like to enjoy my car ;)

its all a matter or taste and how you drive your car. i'll sacrifice handling for the summer sun. I plan on doing the GP brace, iroc sway bar, underhood bars and rear seat brace to my SS and my Hurst. I don't have many chances to take turns over 50 mph anyway in the the city (maybe cause neither car is that fast) The "greenhouse effect" is the worst thing followed by the occasional drips.

Re: I HEARD THAT!

Originally posted by Two Lane
That's a "Bye-Bye" for sure, John! :)

I totally disagree.I have had several hardtop and moonroof cars.Coolest one i have ever had is the one i own now.T-tops off in the carolina blue sky is worth .5 in the 1/4:D --try it

Geoff

Originally posted by jon_we4
Ive NEVER driven in a t-top car until last week. I've had a solid roof car for almost 4 years now

I test drove a 87 limited t ..... oh MAN thing had alot more noises and was not as solid. I know there are braces out there but it was night and day.

I would say if you NEED t-tops to find a very low milage car, when looking for cars I liked the idea of t-tops too ....but I like to enjoy my car ;)

How do you know the limited didnt have bad body mounts, shocks, bushings, springs, etc. You cant assume others take care of their cars like you do your own. I think it takes more than a ride in one car to make the assumption you are making.

As far as squeaks properly adjusted tops do not squeak. My only gripe about mine is there is some wind noise, even though I have new seals. Thats what subwoofers are for:D

Originally posted by Wells

It seems to me that Kirbans sells these things for a living, or at least it is a hell of a big hobby for him.

I don't see any t-tops for sale in either his current "for sale" items, or his previous "sold" listings, but he does list "astro roofs".

You've made a very astute observation!

For whatever "reason", his lengthy records show that he has definitely chosen not to seek them out, bring them home, & try to sell them.

The logical business inference from his past sales records is it'd be to his benefit to have them, if they were in demand or generated enough interest/sales.

Well, looks like Dennis Kirban made a liar out of me. He now has a t-top listed in his for sale column. Thinking back, it seems to me now that I have occasionally seen a random t-top in his for sale column, but I don't see any in the "Sold" area. Maybe he just doesn't list them, for whatever reason. I suspect that his purchase criteria is somewhat more critical on the t-tops.
I have just purchased my 5th gn/t-type, a very low mileage, showroom condition, low option white '87. This would be my 5th consecutive gn/t-type car except for that '02 vette Z06 sneaking in there somehow. You knew that it was a hardtop, right.
I just can't see myself not having a '86-'87 Buick t-type or gn turbo, regardless of whatever else I own.
These are truly unique cars.
And am I happy that I have been able to own a few.
I think that I am going to cry, just thinking about it.
Ok, no more rant/sniveling

I've had both...

I had an '86 GN with t-tops and an '87 GN hardtop. I had previously ownded an '86 MCSS and a '77 Corvette with t-tops (only way they came, of course). The t-tops do seem to hurt the resale value of the GN's but not the others and I think it has a lot to do with the "old wive's tale" about not being structurally sound enough to drag race because:

A: The driver's side t-top will fly out under hard acceleration!

B: The windshield will split under hard acceleration!

Both of which are total BS!! Plenty of 9 sec rides out there with t-tops! I bought my first GN (the '86 mentioned above) for substantially less than what it was probably worth because all the "racers" who'd called about it turned their noses up after seeing it had t-tops. Surely some of the same guys who got outrun by the car after I got it!!

All things being equal, and resale be damned, I'd buy a t-top car every time. Cheaper to start with and way more fun to drive on nice days. As far as leaks go, proper adjustment and seals that haven't hardened or misformed will prevent almost all leaks and rattles!

Oh yeah, and if my last post wasn't enough to show you the virtues of a car with t-tops, have you considered the "bikini factor"?
Ever try to get your wife/girlfriend/flavor of the month to wear a bikini for a long trip in a hardtop? Won't happen. But with t-tops; the sun's there and your gonna be sitting in the car for a while and a girl's gotta work on her tan so........

Originally posted by BlownZ
It seems like people avoid the T-Top cars if they are looking for a street/strip type car. Are they that bad or is their that much a weight disadvantage or has this issue been exagerrated?

Nothing wrong with TTypes, unless you need the structual intergrety that a solid roof offers.

Having survived, a GN rollover, and having the steel rods in my back to fix things, I'm sure as heck glad the top didn't give any further. I have a fixture in my back that looks like a J-Bolt spring compressor, and it's not much fun. But, if the roof had collapsed say another 2 inches, I well might not be here. I'm not saying you need to cage it to be safe, but I never thought I'd be in a roll over, and flip. All in a low speed accident, but see there was this ditch beside the road, that we managed to hit just wrong.

Something to plan for?.
No, something to think about, IMO, yes.

Both my cars are t-top cars. Neither leak unless you take a hose and deliberately aim it at the top right up close. Even then it doesn't soak the interior. My GN is a track car and has a trunk brace and an chromoloy 8 point rollbar. See best time in my sig. It hasen't fallen apart yet.:rolleyes:

good, bad ,ugly

Depends on the person. Vendors dont like em,they like your money so they will sell them and parts for them. I love my t-top car. Yes i had to replace all the rubber.No it doesnt leak or have cracked pillars. Yes i would get another. Rattles?? , well it used to untill i gnx'ed the rear suspension now it would have to fall off a cliff for noise.Next car i want a is a GNX and that would take care of the t-top issue unless a nice turbo t/a comes by first.