are my diff clutches going bad?

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
Posted this on the other tb.com site because I thought it was this site. Wondered why it said I hadn't been online there in a while. Oh well...getting old I guess.

Anywho...

A while ago I changed the fluid in the diff. Put in Royal Purple and added some GM anti-chatter.

When I make sharp left turns the diff (at least I assume so) vibrates and makes noise. Does not do that when I turn to the right.

Of late, the noise has gotten worse. Is this indicative of clutches going bad?

Will

Usually chatter means the clutches are 'grabby' not worn out and slipping. Try switching back to whatever oil gave you good results or toss in a second bottle of the GM whale jizz.

I changed my differential fluid to synthetic, or rather the mechanic did thinking it was better, and my diff made noise and vibrated, changed back and all good.

That actually makes sense. I was curious what the symptoms of bad clutches would be as she leaves two long black patches every time.

I'll go to a different fluid and see how that works. What is the viscosity again? I can't remember.

I've used regular 75w-90 with a bottle of additive - no problems.

That's odd. Usually the dino needs more additive than full synthetic. Mine's worn so it doesn't need any additive no matter what fluid I use.

That's odd. Usually the dino needs more additive than full synthetic. Mine's worn so it doesn't need any additive no matter what fluid I use.

Me too! I had to change the fluid and NOT add additive to get them to work well again.

Instructions from Eaton when installing a clutch type posi is to NOT use synthetic as it will hamper operation