Anyone using XM Radio?

WakkoSS

I was thinking about getting the external receiver for use in my police car, home and possibly GN. Any thoughts?

I have it in my truck and love it.

No commercials at all.

Lots of channels and always something to listen to.

Its great.

Not meaning to post hi-jack, but I had a question about XM users here as well.

What did you do about the antenna? If you have one on your GN, what did you do about the antenna? Did you put that sharkfin on the back? Or some other type of 'set up'? I could imagine a lot of people don't want such a thing sitting on their deck lid. Any ideas and/or pics? Thanks.

My Dad has it in his Alero and its awesome. No commercials is the bet point, and no annoying DJ's. Just music. Unfortunately, they don't announce the names of the songs, so if you hear something you like, you're kinda SOL in regards to identifying the artist or song name. :(

ESPN and Comedy channels too. :cool:

Thinking about having it installed in my Grand Prix.

Steve

Rock channels have DJ's commercials and even swearing.

Probably 3 channels per type of music you like best.

If you enjoy variety in music and talk shows and comedy etc. it is worth it.

If not, a good music collection can be much more rewarding.

Usually very clear but occasional dropouts in hilly areas here in CT. Still better than most FM reception.

My XM radio is great! Well worth the money. Of course I spend most of my time in a town with one FM station. And it's in Spanish! LOL:cool:

I have SIRIUS and I love it. I just put some padding under the antenna and I attach it to the roof just above the A Pillar.

SIRIUS Displays the name of the song and the band on the reciever, I don't know if XM does or not.

The thing that I liked about it was my kit came with an FM Modulator so I didn't have to tear out the factory radio.

Originally posted by Black Box
My Dad has it in his Alero and its awesome. No commercials is the bet point, and no annoying DJ's. Just music. Unfortunately, they don't announce the names of the songs, so if you hear something you like, you're kinda SOL in regards to identifying the artist or song name. :(

ESPN and Comedy channels too. :cool:

Thinking about having it installed in my Grand Prix.

Steve

Actually not the case. On my Sierra, I can hit the recall button and it will display the artist and the name of the hit.

I do not know about aftermarket radios though.

Originally posted by Shane
I have SIRIUS and I love it. I just put some padding under the antenna and I attach it to the roof just above the A Pillar.

SIRIUS Displays the name of the song and the band on the reciever, I don't know if XM does or not.

The thing that I liked about it was my kit came with an FM Modulator so I didn't have to tear out the factory radio.

Is this on your Turbo Regal? Can you post a pic here please? Thanks.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
I was thinking about getting the external receiver for use in my police car, home and possibly GN. Any thoughts?

Got one.. Get it is worth it.. makes the night shift go bye bye..

Originally posted by gn85
Is this on your Turbo Regal? Can you post a pic here please? Thanks.

Sure thing, I will post a picture tomorrow. It's a bit too dark out there now to get one.

When I first installed it I had a lot of background noise. I didn't really like having the power plugged into the cigarette lighter (I thought it looked kind of ghetto), so I went and bought another cigarette lighter, wired it to the fusebox, and hid it under the dash.

Sounds great and looks much better now.

I have Sirius in my truck, my wife has it in her Highlander AND office, and we both love it. I think it is worth every cent! Like I tell people who think its a waste of money, It's like the difference between using an antenna for your TV versus cable or satellite, once you have it you'll never go back!:D

I don't know anything about Sirius...is that a competitor to XM?

The SkiFi system I was looking at is external (shows name and artist on it. Uses the FM modulator and the "Shark fin" antenna. I was going to mount the antenna on the INSIDE of my rear window, as I can't drill on the exterior of my unit.

The Modulator, car kit, receiver (with remote) and boombox is $249. Service is 9.99 a month.

Yes, Sirius is XM's major competitor. I have Sirius myself and really, really love it. Can't ever imagine going back to regular radio, can't even stand listening to in when I'm not in the car with Sirius. Never really got to listen to XM, though I've heard good things. Sirius is 12.95 a month, has song and artist ids on every station, less commercials than XM (all music is commercial free, non-music stations have a couple of commercials per hour, mostly for other sirius programs/stations). Sirius also does web radio, if you have the service you can listen to any of the stations online anytime (they also do trials of it online for non-subscribers).

My antenna is mounted on the rear shelf underneath the rear glass. Never had reception cut out anywhere (including trips to new orleans and ohio) except of course under bridges, tunnels, etc. It's really great since my home to school commute involves switching between philly and nyc radio. With Sirius I can listen to the same stations the whole trip, or anywhere in the entire country! I love the Sirius, have a hard time driving without it now. Well, except for in the GN....... :D

-Jade

Are you using the cigarette lighter style modulator or a hard wired one? I have an iRock FM modulator that I use with my laptop and I get horrible whine.

Originally posted by gn85
Not meaning to post hi-jack, but I had a question about XM users here as well.

What did you do about the antenna? If you have one on your GN, what did you do about the antenna? Did you put that sharkfin on the back? Or some other type of 'set up'? I could imagine a lot of people don't want such a thing sitting on their deck lid. Any ideas and/or pics? Thanks.

Yeah just snuck it past the backseat and it is sitting on the trunk. It's black so you barely notice it. I love XM. The Roady is the best bet as it is portable and you can get the home kit, often times for free depending on the offer.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Are you using the cigarette lighter style modulator or a hard wired one? I have an iRock FM modulator that I use with my laptop and I get horrible whine.
I've got the hard wired FM modulator that plugs in-line with the antenna wire that goes to the back of your head unit. I was a little sceptical of this at first as I've had some bad experiences with both the wireless and wired kinds in mine and other peoples' cars. That being said, I'm very happy with the way my setup sounds. It's heads and shoulders above normal radio (even my parents, who don't know or care anything about audio agreed the first time they were in the car) and is very close if not equal to cd quality. Sometimes I still can't believe how good it sounds. When I first got the Sirius stuff I was pretty disappointed when I realized my head unit didn't have inputs for it, but figured I would give it a go anyway (got it for free off the board last year :)) and couldn't be happier since the day I've had it installed. If you or anyone else have anymore questions, just ask!

-Jade