Anyone try this stuff on their gas tank?

SSninja

I've got some minor surface rust on the inside of my tank from sitting in the garage for 6 months without a sending unit in it(The outside of the tank is fine)

What's the best way to clean it? I've had some people tell me to go to a radiator shop and have it cleaned, while others have suggested using products like this:
KBS Auto Fuel Tank Sealer Kit :: KBS Coatings :: Rust Stops Here

Would this work alright with our tanks? I'm just concerned because of the plastic "bowl" inside of the tank; Will the coating from the link above damage it, or not evenly coat the inside of the tank because of it?

After my car sat a couple years, it would not start. Dropped the tank and found all sorts of rust and some white oxidized looking crap. I washed it out myself, but continue to have problems with rust plugging the fuel sock. I keep thinking I'll take the tank down to a radiator shop and have it cleaned but I'm worried about what their cleaning process may do to the baffle.

I was also considering the same thing. I found a radiator shop that will clean it out for about $50-75, but I wasn't sure how the plastic on the inside would handle this.

I don't think coatings will work in a stock tank with baffling, and I don't think boiling one out will work either.

However the radiator shop may know about that.

Aftermarket tanks with pie pan baffles work just fine, used one for 12 years.

Beats rust anyday.

If you can get at the rust by hand I'd sand it out best as you could and wash it good with alky. and rags.

If not time for a replacement.

The solution that most if not every radiator shop uses to boil them out will not harm the plastic baffle. As a matter of fact my local shop told me I could leave the fuel pump and sending unit in it if I wanted those cleaned too.

For the money it's going to cost to have cleaned...I'd just go buy a new tank and forget about it. This way you know it's good and you won't have to think about it. JMO

For the money it's going to cost to have cleaned...I'd just go buy a new tank and forget about it. This way you know it's good and you won't have to think about it. JMO

Yep, thought about that too,... local shop said $45 minimum, could go up to $100.

I was quoted $45-75 max by a local shop, so I'm probably going to stop by and talk to them.

If it comes out good as new, then it's still cheaper than a $170+ replica, or a $200+ used tank from one of the venders on here.