Anyone try the new QA1 rear Pro Coil coilovers?

QA1 rear coil overs installed with UMI rear shock brace. Overall it went very nice. I have the shock set to 4 and the ride is very nice. I went to the track last Wednesday and made back to back 1.5 60' times. I'm satisfied with the performance. I want to lower my car 1" from where it was but I have to cut the lips back in order to clear the tires. I'm running 275/60/15s.
20151011_124412.jpg
20151011_153214.jpg
20151011_153223.jpg
20151011_153231.jpg
20151011_153239.jpg
20151011_172929.jpg

Last edited:
QA1 rear coil overs installed with UMI rear shock brace. Overall it went very nice. I have the shock set to 4 and the ride is very nice. I went to the track last Wednesday and made back to back 1.5 60' times. I'm satisfied with the performance. I want to lower my car 1" from where it was but I have to cut the lips back in order to clear the tires. I'm running 275/60/15s.
View attachment 264625 View attachment 264626 View attachment 264627 View attachment 264629 View attachment 264630 View attachment 264631
Hey , on your rear coil overs , what rate and length did you use ? thank you

The length is whatever came in the kit. They have it all figured out for their mounting brackets. The spring rate is the 170. The new style coilovers kit has different rates than the old style. I'm plenty satisfied with this rate for my car. Its smooth and feels close to stock. If your car is much more an autocross type and you have all the supporting suspension mods and tires then the 200 might suit you better but I imagine it would be a rough ride. The firm would ride like a buckboard.

They redesigned the mounting system. Much more secure bracket mounts now. Been considering adjustable shocks for a while and would like to able to lower the rear a tad without trying a bunch of coil springs for height and ride I want.
thank you

The new QA1 rear coil over kits come with 12" springs.....vs the old QA1 coil overs that came with 14" springs.
QA1 now recommend 170# for street vs the older 14" springs which got a 150# recommendation for same.
"Just sayin"

Can't put my fingers on the printed article, but I did read this somewhere........they said with the 12" springs they need to go with higher spring rates:

170# for a soft stock ride
200# for drag or street strip
220# for handling performance
250# for road racing / auto-cross

--------------------------------------------------------------

vs the recommended spring rates using 14" springs :

Spring Rates: For a soft stock like ride we recommend a 130# spring. For drag racing and street/strip applications we recommend a 150# spring. For handling performance we recommend a 175# spring. For road racing we recommend a 200# spring. Other spring rates are available up to 350#, call to place orders with custom spring rates.
- See more at: http://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-1987...-Malibu-Monte-Carlo.html#sthash.VsJFpmR2.dpuf
Just saying , I am no expert , I have the QA1 pro -double adjustable rears , I have 14" 150 HT springs , I find them alittle stiff ? wondering about softer like 110lb springs ?

You've got the HT (High Travel ) springs. I'm not familiar with those. However, they feature a lighter weight spring with smaller dia. coiling and have less coils to allow more travel.
If you feel the 150's are too stiff.....I'd give the QA1 14" HT 130 lb springs a try.

FYI, just got done installing QA1 rear coil overs on a customer car. I ended up using UMI lower and upper brackets that are powder coated black and also move the lower end of the shock inboard a bit and that helps clear the Baer rear disc brakes on this car. Used the UMI upper brace as well and everything fit great. Only exception was they have and extra hole in the bracket to help with any anti rotation and you have to drill a hole in the stock lower mount but the hole the drilled is in the wrong position. If you drill where they have the hole you will hit the lower control arm bushing!

View attachment 263805 View attachment 263806 View attachment 263807 View attachment 263808
that upper UMI bar / brace looks great , I would buy it in a second but I have the RJC 3" single shot exhaust , don t think it would fit , are you happy with it ? Thx

You've got the HT (High Travel ) springs. I'm not familiar with those. However, they feature a lighter weight spring with smaller dia. coiling and have less coils to allow more travel.
If you feel the 150's are too stiff.....I'd give the QA1 14" HT 130 lb springs a try.
I am gonna call QA1 on Tuesday , see what they think on spring rate ?

The 130 was the "old" style stock type ride spring rate. The UMI brace is well made and fit like a glove. It did add some stiffness to the frame. It was in 6 months before I added the roll bar which made the much stiffer.

What spring rate on the rears did you do with?
I experimented and had Kevin from Baseline suspensions helping me heres what I found / I am working on weight transfer / launch kinda set up - on my corner scales I have the car at 54.55% front and 45.45% rear ,
14" 150lb HT - too stiff
14" 95 lb HT - too soft , car rode like a tank , binding
14" 110 lb HT - just right , you can adjust the ride quality , happy with them
* if you want 150 s or 95 s I can sell you mine , lol
hope this is useful

I experimented and had Kevin from Baseline suspensions helping me heres what I found / I am working on weight transfer / launch kinda set up - on my corner scales I have the car at 54.55% front and 45.45% rear ,
14" 150lb HT - too stiff
14" 95 lb HT - too soft , car rode like a tank , binding
14" 110 lb HT - just right , you can adjust the ride quality , happy with them
* if you want 150 s or 95 s I can sell you mine , lol
hope this is useful

Thanks for the reply,
I am more interested in the ride feel of the shorter 12in rear coilover kit. Curious how the medium 200s feel vs the firm 220s.
Also, can someone clarify how to read QA1s spring rate chart? Should I choose my spring rate by the weight of my car or by my preferred ride preference (soft, medium, or firm)?

For example: The QA1 spring rate chart shows the average rear weight of a gbody is about 1550 lbs (under the "GM Average Muscle Car Weight" section). Then, when I cross that number (1550) at the top of the page, (under the "Axle Weight" section for a solid rear axles) with the weight range of 1450-1599 with a 12in length coilover, it shows the spring rate should be "225"........But the coilover Spring rates options are only:

1. 170 for soft
2. 200 for medium
3. 220 for firm

So I am confused. 225 is more than the 220 firm setting. What am I missing here?

https://www.qa1.net/tech/documents/RK103K_REV_9-29-14.pdf

I went with the 170 and am satified. I don't like a bone jarring ride. If you're looking for more of a pro tour ride then get a firmer set.

Yes, but the weight of the car will make a difference too.

I used what they consider "stock". My car is on the heavy side but I didn't use their chart.