Anyone seen a cooler system like this?? (pics inside)

CutterTurboT

BOOST
I was working on my buddy's turbo t and took some pics of a cooler system on his car. He bought it from a guy that owned a radiator shop in jax, fl area. This car has stock inj., stock turbo, stock motor, and stock tranny. It has some basic bolt ons and that is it. They have time slips of the car running 11.9's @ 111 with a 1.65 60ft slicks and race gas. The system has a canister with a fuel pump and copper pipes that go to the fuel rail in it. You put ice in the tank and it cools the fuel and the fuel pump pulls the cold water to a tranny cooler looking thing mounted on the stock IC. Then it has the kenne belle up pipe cooler that uses the washer fuild res. to pump cold water to the up pipe and thottle body. Looks like it works perty well...anyone ever seen anything like this??? Here are some pics...
cooler%20fuel%20lines%20tank.jpg

Cooler%20tank.jpg

IC%20cooler.jpg

TB%20cooler.jpg

TB%20cooler%202.jpg

Up%20pipe%20cooler.jpg

Washer%20cooler.jpg

Yep, a cool can. Used to be a standard to cool the fuel on virtually all drag cars back in the day. Most used dry ice but regular ice would work. It should have a petcock at the bottom to drain out the melted water. Nice looking setup!

- Jimmy

Be sure to carry a Fire Extinguisher.
Copper work hardens, then fractures, and fails, if allowed to vibrate at all. Twisted in a coil like that, would allow for it to vibrate.

Moroso sells cool cans, but they're designed for low pressure systems.

You want cool charge air, but hot fuel is fine if you have the tune right. Fuel requires atomization, and vaporization to get into the most combustible state. Back in the Turbo F1 days, Honda heated the fuel to get it more reactible.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with Bruce on this one, not because we are both "buick veterns", but the major reason we used cool cans back in the carbed, dark ages, was to prevent vapor lock.:)

Now if he put all that time, effort and $$$ into cooling the intake air, that would be something beneficial.

Thanks for the info guys...I wandered what it was called. It does cool the air...The fuel pump in the cool can pumps cold water to a cooler mounted in on the Intercooler...and the up pipe and throttle body is cooled buy water pumped through the washer tank. It has to do something right for a basically stock full weight buick to go 11.9x's!

Originally posted by CutterTurboT
Thanks for the info guys...I wandered what it was called. It does cool the air...The fuel pump in the cool can pumps cold water to a cooler mounted in on the Intercooler...and the up pipe and throttle body is cooled buy water pumped through the washer tank. It has to do something right for a basically stock full weight buick to go 11.9x's!

Need some better pics then. It looks like that pump tank arrangement is tapped into the high side fuel lines.

The oem reason for heating the TB was so that in frost situations the buterfly wouldn't ice open. It took hot coolant to min the chilling effect of the incoming air. I'd be curious what if any gains would be done b trying to chill the TB, other then worsening the icing problem.

Is that chrome piece the up pipe? or a cover for the up pipe's being covered with the copper piping?. To really ensure much of a heat transfer, the copper piping would need soldered to the up pipe to get enough surface area in contact with the pipe to make much of a difference to my way of thinking.

It would be interesting to see a datalog from a couple passes with and without the pump running.

Originally posted by bruce
Need some better pics then. It looks like that pump tank arrangement is tapped into the high side fuel lines.

The oem reason for heating the TB was so that in frost situations the buterfly wouldn't ice open. It took hot coolant to min the chilling effect of the incoming air. I'd be curious what if any gains would be done b trying to chill the TB, other then worsening the icing problem.

Is that chrome piece the up pipe? or a cover for the up pipe's being covered with the copper piping?. To really ensure much of a heat transfer, the copper piping would need soldered to the up pipe to get enough surface area in contact with the pipe to make much of a difference to my way of thinking.

It would be interesting to see a datalog from a couple passes with and without the pump running.

The copper pipes are only for the fuel line. The Up pipe, IC chiller, and Tb cooler are pumped by small rubber hoses. The crome up pipe is a kenne belle it lets water insulate around it. Many people bypass the TB to get the hot coolant out. This guy just took it to the extreme and ran cold water through it. We live in south ga.... Don't have to worry about Tb's icing up. I guess you would have to see it in person. I have described it exactly as it works in my first post. All I know is that is worked good...the proof is in the time he ran. .