ANYONE RUNNING A 4L80E TRANS

I have run one and been through the learning woes finally getting it right just before letting my car go. There's nothing wrong with them, but they can't take the power "stock" as most people think. They rob power and are heavy. one good thing is PTC now makes a nice converter for one.

If you're not making crazy power, I have a "all you can build" 2004r from Lonnie for sale myself. I'd run a 200 before a 80e any day or skip and do the th400 like you have.

pm me if you want details either way.

Thanks! My tranny builder tells me that the TH400 will blow anytime with the power I am making since I did not install Hard Parts in it yet. So I guess I will stick with the 400. he also said to stay with it. I will soon find out when I hit the Drag Strip any day now.

Joe

Mine is not running yet but I had Jimmy's Transmission build a pretty strong 4l80e with proper internals to handle 1500 hp... so we will see. He have another one on my buddies car not fully tuned yet. 615 rwhp on 18 psi.
HTH
Prasad

I have run one and been through the learning woes finally getting it right just before letting my car go. There's nothing wrong with them, but they can't take the power "stock" as most people think. They rob power and are heavy. one good thing is PTC now makes a nice converter for one.

If you're not making crazy power, I have a "all you can build" 2004r from Lonnie for sale myself. I'd run a 200 before a 80e any day or skip and do the th400 like you have.

pm me if you want details either way.
well that will depend on wat is done it it. they can handle big hp if ur pockets are deep enough.

are you talking about the 80e or the 200? it doesn't really matter.. but either "stock" isn't going to handle much.

Mine is not running yet but I had Jimmy's Transmission build a pretty strong 4l80e with proper internals to handle 1500 hp... so we will see. He have another one on my buddies car not fully tuned yet. 615 rwhp on 18 psi.
HTH
Prasad
Hey Prasad! You are probably the only one left with Fiero's... Don't see much of those anymore.
I will have to see if it is worth it or not to build a 4L80 in comparing for it's use of an extra gear.
Thanks for the inputs guys.

Joe

I did some research on 4l80e and came up with slightly different info.
A Good working unit-- bone stock should be good to 450 hp and with just an upgraded sprag that should put it good to 700 hp. I guess i need to do better research.

I did plenty of research before I took the plunge... I wanted the reliability of the TH400 at the same time I am not a racer anymore... I am in the process of building a bad ass pro touring GN thus I need the over drive. My stage II motor with all the bells and whistles should make between 800-1000 rwhp. There are plenty fast guys here in the midwest running low 10's and high 9 sec car with 2004r from all well known vendors and all the cars that ran hard, end up having to put the 3rd gear clutches replaced with in a year or two ...another words they do need to be freshened up soon or later if you stick with car that runs in the 9's. There is no doubt that th400 is the way to go and less trouble free option but I would like drive on the highway . I like the modern technology. With computer system I am running ( PRO EFI) every thing is build into it meaning I don't need to buy a separate controller or anything for it. I can even use a paddle shifter with it. I know Jake shoe out in TX builds the trans brake for the 4L80e as well but I had mine built without the brake.I talked to Dusty about the converter and I was told the converter options are limited for lockup setup but if I go a non lock up setup it might have more options so I did. I have close to 4K in my trans with all good hard parts. Recently we took that 6L-80e that TCI sells for 6 grand to jimmy's and he looked inside and said it's basically all stock internals and waste of money especially if you are racing. I even thought about TH400 with the gear vendor setup too but according my builder, the 4L80e is a TH400 with the over drive so I went with it.

HTH
Prasad

Hey Prasad! You are probably the only one left with Fiero's... Don't see much of those anymore.
I will have to see if it is worth it or not to build a 4L80 in comparing for it's use of an extra gear.
Thanks for the inputs guys.

Joe

Hey Joe, I love Fieros, as a matter fact, I try to obtain the cars that I loved growing up in the 80's. I have three Fieros, one is and 87 GT Fast back, all stock,,,, one is and 86 GT fast back that I started the LC2 conversion and got put back on the back burner..and the other one is 84 with V8 conversion.

Prasad

I did plenty of research before I took the plunge... I wanted the reliability of the TH400 at the same time I am not a racer anymore... I am in the process of building a bad ass pro touring GN thus I need the over drive. My stage II motor with all the bells and whistles should make between 800-1000 rwhp. There are plenty fast guys here in the midwest running low 10's and high 9 sec car with 2004r from all well known vendors and all the cars that ran hard, end up having to put the 3rd gear clutches replaced with in a year or two ...another words they do need to be freshened up soon or later if you stick with car that runs in the 9's. There is no doubt that th400 is the way to go and less trouble free option but I would like drive on the highway . I like the modern technology. With computer system I am running ( PRO EFI) every thing is build into it meaning I don't need to buy a separate controller or anything for it. I can even use a paddle shifter with it. I know Jake shoe out in TX builds the trans brake for the 4L80e as well but I had mine built without the brake.I talked to Dusty about the converter and I was told the converter options are limited for lockup setup but if I go a non lock up setup it might have more options so I did. I have close to 4K in my trans with all good hard parts. Recently we took that 6L-80e that TCI sells for 6 grand to jimmy's and he looked inside and said it's basically all stock internals and waste of money especially if you are racing. I even thought about TH400 with the gear vendor setup too but according my builder, the 4L80e is a TH400 with the over drive so I went with it.

HTH
Prasad

I freshened my 200 after 7-8 years and it didn't even need it!

I freshened my 200 after 7-8 years and it didn't even need it!
John, I have a great deal of respect for you on what you have accomplished and your input. I have a question for you...how many street mile do you have on you car? I was told that partial throttle pulls on the street is a killer on the 2004r because half throttle pass can hit 20 plus lbs boost thus crazy horse power and torque but the due to the fact that TV cable only pulled down half way. What's is you thoughts on it?
TIA
Prasad

I don't put a lot of street miles on it, but it sees a lot of part throttle at the track due to traction issues.

just FYI.. a 4l80e is very like a th400 but not a Th400... one thing about the trans is that the drum has the potential to explode like a th400.
see Kevlar shield I made for protection.
image.jpg

They have the 200 r4's down. I been beating the snot out of mine for years now. Once the hard parts came available and the dual feed mod was figured out, the trans is no longer a problem.

Just my $.02