Anyone Run/HaveRun a Turbonetics T-72?

24 psi is a bunch of BS! Ive never seen a TSM car that was required to prove the boost pressure.

thats just great !! coffee coming out of my nose @ 9:am from laughing so hard :eek: :p hey it HAS to be TRUE !!! I read it on the net :biggrin:

thats just great !! coffee coming out of my nose @ 9:am from laughing so hard :eek: :p hey it HAS to be TRUE !!! I read it on the net :biggrin:

9 am is kind of late for you to be having your am coffee isnt it?:biggrin:

I decided to email Turbonetics to find out from them how much power the P-trim T-72 will support. According to Greg Orlando from Turbonetics, the 72 will support 800fwhp. In an all-steel Turbo Regal, 800fwhp is good for around 9.50 or so with the correct converter, etc. Backing it down to 700fwhp so as not to run the 72 on the ragged edge, it's enough to tickle 9.90s.

I'd say that's more than enough for a mostly street driven, 109 block Turbo Regal. Looks like I'll probably be holding onto the 72 for now. :)

I decided to email Turbonetics to find out from them how much power the P-trim T-72 will support. According to Greg Orlando from Turbonetics, the 72 will support 800fwhp. In an all-steel Turbo Regal, 800fwhp is good for around 9.50 or so with the correct converter, etc. Backing it down to 700fwhp so as not to run the 72 on the ragged edge, it's enough to tickle 9.90s.

I'd say that's more than enough for a mostly street driven, 109 block Turbo Regal. Looks like I'll probably be holding onto the 72 for now. :)

No one to my knowledge has ever come close to the 800fwhp with a 3 bolt 72 p-trim. Plan on running well over 30 psi and close to 6500 rpm to get those hp numbers on a 231ci. You will need some sort of external boost control that can apply compressed CO2 to the wastegate to keep it closed as the pressure in the exhaust will be very very high at that hp.

I don't plan on proving or disproving Greg's numbers for the 72. I wouldn't attempt to approach 800hp with ANY turbo with engine that's currently in the T. I have another 109 block on deck should I choose to go hit that number (it would be built with forged internals, billet caps, etc). I just wanted an idea of what can be expected in a best case senario from the 72. I plan on running the 72 for as long as it lets me. According to Turbonetics and Jack, it has enough in it to go very low 10s and perhaps high 9s. That's just fine for a full weight street car. I really think a roller cam will wake up my combo (GN1s might be in the future, too). WSLN 6's car went 133mph at nearly 3800lbs with a P trim 70, which equates to around 700fwhp at only 24psi, so I don't see why my 72 shouldn't at least be capable of the same thing especially considering I'm a few hundred pounds lighter.

Once the 72 gives up the ghost (Turbonetics doesn't make parts for my ancient 72 anymore), then I'll replace it with a current technology turbo. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the going price for a ball bearing 70GTQ, so the 72's replacement will probably be something along the lines of a new F1 wheel 70.

I don't plan on proving or disproving Greg's numbers for the 72. I wouldn't attempt to approach 800hp with ANY turbo with engine that's currently in the T. I have another 109 block on deck should I choose to go hit that number (it would be built with forged internals, billet caps, etc). I just wanted an idea of what can be expected in a best case senario from the 72. I plan on running the 72 for as long as it lets me. According to Turbonetics and Jack, it has enough in it to go very low 10s and perhaps high 9s. That's just fine for a full weight street car. I really think a roller cam will wake up my combo (GN1s might be in the future, too). WSLN 6's car went 133mph at nearly 3800lbs with a P trim 70, which equates to around 700fwhp at only 24psi, so I don't see why my 72 shouldn't at least be capable of the same thing especially considering I'm a few hundred pounds lighter.

Once the 72 gives up the ghost (Turbonetics doesn't make parts for my ancient 72 anymore), then I'll replace it with a current technology turbo. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the going price for a ball bearing 70GTQ, so the 72's replacement will probably be something along the lines of a new F1 wheel 70.
Those are some pretty impressive numbers for 24psi with iron heads that WSLN6 posted. Id like to see the data logs on that pass. Very few have made anywhere near that power at under 25psi. Your 72 on his engine with the tune he ran that day would have probably run the same. Different car, engine and tune is a lot of variables. Post your times and datalogs when you get them. Wish i could be in a part of the country where i could run year round. Its 3 degrees here right now. This sucks. Fwiw i made 559hp/706 tq with the T72 and iron heads at about 24 psi. Converter was a loose POS though. 16% slip on the dyno. Engine was an RPE with 9.1:1 compression.

16% is allowing a good amount of power to be lost in the converter. More boost probably wouldn't result in much more power, just more slip. Would have been interesting to see what a proper PTC converter and 28psi would have done for that combo. I'm willing to bet you would have been very low 10s or perhaps high 9s.

Here is a compressor map Greg provided for me for the 72...

Attachments

• hp72.GIF
    hp72.GIF
    8.7 KB · Views: 609
16% is allowing a good amount of power to be lost in the converter. More boost probably wouldn't result in much more power, just more slip. Would have been interesting to see what a proper PTC converter and 28psi would have done for that combo. I'm willing to bet you would have been very low 10s or perhaps high 9s.

Here is a compressor map Greg provided for me for the 72...

Yeah. I agree. If i had the converter i had in there now with that RPE engine id bet i would be close to what i have now with the s-trim but would take 30-32psi to run the same mph. 32-35 should have put it in the 10.0-9.9 range with the p-trim. Backpressure was really high. I had a hard time getting it to go over 26psi on the street. It had the stock MAFS with a screen on the dyno also:eek: . The air inlet hose was getting sucked in like an accordian at over 5200 rpm. The compressir map looks great for the 800hp but the 3 bolt and p-trim chokes the piss out of it.

You really had a problem getting over 26psi on the street? I'm also running the stock 3" mass air meter (with one screen removed). 4" inlet pipe after the meter. Once the turbo lights it will zing right to 30+psi if I have the boost set that high. I usually run the boost in the teens on the street, though. Even with the boost in the high teens it will obliterate the tires from a roll. Any more boost on the street and I steer with the rear tires, not the front.:biggrin:

You really had a problem getting over 26psi on the street? I'm also running the stock 3" mass air meter (with one screen removed). 4" inlet pipe after the meter. Once the turbo lights it will zing right to 30+psi if I have the boost set that high. I usually run the boost in the teens on the street, though. Even with the boost in the high teens it will obliterate the tires from a roll. Any more boost on the street and I steer with the rear tires, not the front.:biggrin:

Over 5400 rpm the boost would drop off as the rpm increased. Backpressure was pushing open the wastegate. It even does it now with the s-trim starting at about 5600 rpm (125+mph) I only lose about .75psi from 5600-5750. 29 drops to about 28.25. I have data logs proving it.

Ever see those little deer whistles people stick on their front bumpers? Mine "whistle" is 72mm. :biggrin:

Ever see those little deer whistles people stick on their front bumpers? Mine "whistle" is 72mm. :biggrin:

Id trust the deer whistle as much as a child playing with a loaded gun:eek: