Anyone Run/HaveRun a Turbonetics T-72?

turbonatr

More Cubes!
I currently have a P-trim, 3 bolt Turbonetics T-72 in my T (got a good deal on it a few years ago). I'm wondering how much power this turbo will support and how fast people have gone with theirs with the proper supporting mods (heads, cam, proper stall, etc).

Throwing around the idea of possibly upgrading to GN1s and a roller cam (currently running an ancient, flat tappet) and would like to know how far the T-72 will take me. If something more modern like a 70GTQ will better compliment the GN1s and roller than the old school 72, then it's something I want to start budgeting for.

Thanks!

I went 10.88@126 on a pu$$y tune at about 24psi. I doubt it has any advantage over a 67 p-trim. Its really a mismatch of components when run with a p-trim and a 3 bolt housing imo.

Here's a link to the test that was done with the 70GTQ and the regular 70 turbos.

Buick Grand National - Precision Turbo - Upgrade - GM High-Tech

I'd hold on to what you have for now especially if it's a BB one. ;)

Jack Cotton should know exactly what that turbo is capable of power and mph wise I'd ask for his opinion.

Oh and the guy who said you should pick up 10mph with a GTQ is of course banned from this site now. :p

Sorry I couldn't help you more, I do know Russ Merritt likes the Q-trims.

Here's a link to the test that was done with the 70GTQ and the regular 70 turbos.

Buick Grand National - Precision Turbo - Upgrade - GM High-Tech

I'd hold on to what you have for now especially if it's a BB one. ;)

Jack Cotton should know exactly what that turbo is capable of power and mph wise I'd ask for his opinion.

Oh and the guy who said you should pick up 10mph with a GTQ is of course banned from this site now. :p

Sorry I couldn't help you more, I do know Russ Merritt likes the Q-trims.
That is a fairly useless comparison since most guys run a lot more boost than that that run GTQ turbos. If you were to run a GTQ you would have a higher target hp than a p-trim application anyway. Id expect 6-7mph gain over a p-trim if you are capable of 800+hp. So about 80-100hp. Thats if you are capable of making 800hp with the rest of your parts.

From the looks of the top TSM cars, the 70GTQ is a 9.0/150mph capable turbo (at the required 24psi, probably a lot faster with more boost) in a relatively full weight TR. Do you guys think the P-trim T72 is a high 9 second capable turbo in a full weight TR given proper heads, cam, tune and converter?

From the looks of the top TSM cars, the 70GTQ is a 9.0/150mph capable turbo (at the required 24psi, probably a lot faster with more boost) in a relatively full weight TR. Do you guys think the P-trim T72 is a high 9 second capable turbo in a full weight TR given proper heads, cam, tune and converter?

Don't put alot of weight in what you see with TSM cars. They are a different breed when it comes to money and time spent. You won't get comparable results with most GN's owned by average guys. As for the T72, it depends on the age of the turbo. Technology with turbo's change as qiuck as computers. I would talk with Precision, and Turbonetics dealers who are sponsors here, and see what they can offer you.

Don't put alot of weight in what you see with TSM cars. They are a different breed when it comes to money and time spent. You won't get comparable results with most GN's owned by average guys. As for the T72, it depends on the age of the turbo. Technology with turbo's change as qiuck as computers. I would talk with Precision, and Turbonetics dealers who are sponsors here, and see what they can offer you.

I agree with you 100%. TSM cars are certainly not a good example to use to judge how fast your car will go just by running the same parts that they run. They run exceptionally well for what is done to them. They are the exception, not the rule. For every TSM car going low 9s, the average TR is going low to mid 10s with the same parts. There is not only a lot to their combination, but in how each part is assembled. TSM cars are works of art (and freaks of nature!).

I don't have plans on setting the world on fire or knocking off TSM record holders. I'm not looking to suck every last hundreth of a second out of my combo. Just want to put together a well working combo that runs well and can possibly tickle the 9s if I ever decided to set it on "kill". I'm just coming off putting a TON of money into my race car and don't want to spend money where it doesn't need to be spent on my street car, like dropping a couple grand on a new turbo if what I have could achieve my goals.

The engine currently in my T went 10.70s in my old GN at 3,660lbs off the footbrake on 9" tires with an old, standard bearing, Q trim T70 and a tiny .58a/r turbine housing. The GN probably would have gone a couple tenths quicker with a proper .82a/r housing and more boost. My T is probably slightly lighter than the GN was at the time and now it has a P trim T72. With a set of GN1s and complimenting roller cam, I think I could improve on my GN's mid 10 second performance. I just need to know how much power this 72 will support.

24 psi is a bunch of BS! Ive never seen a TSM car that was required to prove the boost pressure. More like 30+psi. TSM is heads up racing and they are running every part to the max. Most would be lucky to come within 100hp if they ran similar parts on a good tune. The T72 p-trim is a mid 10 second turbo at 25 psi. Maybe 10.30's if you ran 30psi and had good traction. Its not even close to being able to produce 9 sec times consistently on conservative tunes. Im sure it could but the rest of the combo would have to be really string and the boost realy high. Probably need something to hold the wastegate shut from all the backpressure the p-trim would produce to be able to get enough boost to run 9's. It would be over 30 psi in a full weight car.

24psi max is what they say is required, but I have a feeling you may be right about it not being enforced going by the dyno numbers in that GM High Tech Performance article linked to above. 550-570hp at 23-24psi won't get you 9.0s in a full weight car.

I certainly don't want to run a ragged edge tune in order to run a number, so maybe I should start thinking about a 70GTQ. For now, though, I'll run the 72 just because I have it and it works. I'll concentrate more on the heads and cam. I'd like to do the roller cam first with my ported irons. I'm curious to see how the irons respond to a modern hydraulic roller compared to the flat tappet cam I'm running now.

Looks like it's going to take around 700hp at the flywheel to get a full weight TR (3500lbs or so) to tickle high 9s. I sent Jack a PM asking if he knows how much power the T-72 will support. If it's no where near 700, I'll have my answer as to whether or not the 72 will take me where I'd like to go.

The 70GTQ will support 865hp. Pretty impressive considering it's a 3 bolt turbo. That's probably the route I'll take if I ditch the 72.

I don't see any reason why the 72 couldn't make enough power to run at least a low 10 with a good combo... I like the Turbonetic 72 wheels, whether the old style or new.. it should spool really good, I wouldn't rule out a 9 either..

Thanks for thr reply, Jack. I'll run the 72 and see how far it'll take me.

BTW, what is the lift on the Comp 218/218 roller you sell?

With my BB 70 P-trim I ran 133mph in the quarter at near 3800lbs at 24psi with my self ported stock irons, so I don't see why the 72 couldn't pull a bit more than that.

With my BB 70 P-trim I ran 133mph in the quarter at near 3800lbs at 24psi with my self ported stock irons, so I don't see why the 72 couldn't pull a bit more than that.

Wow! :eek: 133mph at only 24psi and nearly 3800lbs from a P-trim 70?? With ported irons no less?? My T is probably around 300lbs lighter. This is inspiring!:cool:

Check your PMs!

Thats about 7 mph faster than i went at about the same boost and i weighed about 200 lbs less. Was that with the PTC? I has a AC converter and it was giving up a lot of mph. It was 80 degrees when i ran mine that day too. You were still way ahead of my hp though.

I got 136.55mph out of my T-Netics 70 Strim @ 22.5 psi. My GN weights in @ 3550 w/o me. 3790 with.

Use it, se what happens. It may suprise you. As for my combo at the time, I was using a 9/11 lockup that was dropping 1400 rpm when I locked the converter, obviously blowing through it bad. I was running on the wrong side of lean though, and it was about 60 deg F outside at 3000 ft elev. 1.95 60ft for the win!