Anyone recognize this convertor?

Turbo F-bird

A friend of mine bought this new in 1989 0r 1990 and now I own it. We both recall it being a Kenne-Bell 9" 3000-3500 stall lock up convertor but we're not 100% positive so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has more info. I recall it driving pretty normal at low speeds and hitting hard under boost so I was going to use it behind a turbo LS engine I'm putting together. My friend stopped using it in the 90's because the convertor clutch was starting to chatter if he lugged it on the highway so I had it rebuilt with heavier duty clutch material than it was made with.

The only markings I see are "7304 L" and "A" "O" and "B" on the back side and "5", "L2", "B", "14" and "820" on the face. I figured I'd ask if anyone knows if these were really inefficient convertors or not. Thanks!

img_1126-jpg.181291

img_1127-jpg.181294

Attachments

• IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 308
I won't go by the stampings as they were probably put there by gm when it was new. Kenne-Bell stuff was just a shop local to him that gave the lowest quote for a run of converters.
If I were you I'd take/send it somewhere to have it cut open and at least inspected. It is almost 25 years old. No.telling what's going on in there.

Thanks for the info. I did have it cut open recently and they put a new clutch in it and checked it over. Unfortunately they're not a high-performance converter shop they mainly do stock rebuilds so he couldn't tell me anything about the stall speed other than it's small and would stall alot higher than stock.