Anyone Pull The Plug On Satellite/Cable TV ?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Looking for advice on the various TV antennae type of devices out there.

I've had it with my satellite service.

Is there something available that will allow me to watch current TV shows without paying a monthly fee?

Thank you.

Free over the air time. Get an antenna if you have a newer tv and a digital converter box and an antenna if you have a old tv or get wifi and look at alot of shows online with a unlocked/jailbroke firestick

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Looking for advice on the various TV antennae type of devices out there.

I've had it with my satellite service.

Is there something available that will allow me to watch current TV shows without paying a monthly fee?

Thank you.
I just ordered a Amazon Fire Stick and a HDTV antenna today. If it works out like I think it will then bye bye cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... Here's the deal.

Woke up this morning, made my coffee & turned on the tube for the news.

No TV! Just the channel that advertises their DVR.

I call them up & learned that they think I'm a month late on payment, so they shut me off.

Had the service for about 4 years & never been late. Inform them that check # so & so was sent on a certain date & they should have received it.

They finally acknowledge that they did indeed receive the payment, but inputed the wrong number so my bank wouldn't pay.

Well of course! Garbage in, garbage out!

Meanwhile they shredded the check & can no longer reprocess it.

So now they want instant payment to be paid for the previous month, along with this month, plus $17 in late charges.

No courtesy call, no notice, no accountability for their error, no apology. Just shut me off.

Going through this BS & having to speak to several agents located outside of the USA, I realize how much money I actually pay a year, to watch a bunch of re-run crap.

So long DISH!

I have a Roku that I never really used much & tomorrow I will be buying a Leaf antennae from Best Buy.

I cut the cable about 6 months ago. Put up a 100 mile antenna on the roof. Most stations are 60 miles from me. I get great reception on all of my channels, and with HD you get at least 3 channels per each major network. I also started Hulu and love that. 12.99 per month with no commercials. Totally worth it. You can get an OTA DVR if you want, but I really don't get anything that I watch regularly that I can't get on hulu. I miss Discovery and History channel the most.

I cut the cable about 6 months ago. Put up a 100 mile antenna on the roof. Most stations are 60 miles from me. I get great reception on all of my channels, and with HD you get at least 3 channels per each major network. I also started Hulu and love that. 12.99 per month with no commercials. Totally worth it. You can get an OTA DVR if you want, but I really don't get anything that I watch regularly that I can't get on hulu. I miss Discovery and History channel the most.
What model did you choose? I'm almost 60 miles from stations as well.

The Discovery & History channels are what I will miss the most. It looks like shows from the Discovery channel are available on Roku.

Have no need for a DVR.

Im sick of paying out the ass too.... I DEFINITELY would need Discovery, History, Velocity and AMC.
Ive already started moving towards dropping directv. ive had Fire Sticks, High Speed Cable Modem, HD Window Antenna.... just need Hulu or Netflix and a DVR.

What model DVRs are you guys talking about? Sometimes im not able to watch and like to catch up when i can... plus im sure my wife would have to DVR a bunch of crap.

thanks
aaron

I haven't had TV for years. I have internet only and subscribe to Hulu and netflix

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

While this doesn't help JM, I have the AT&T bundle- cell phone, home phone, TV and wifi. It's expensive but pretty reliable. Problem is I only watch about 6 of the channels. I also get about 6 movie channels and they all suck.

Cut the cord like 5 years ago, except for high speed internet only. I like the savings. Use apple TV, digital antenna. Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix subscriptions. Hulu and Netflix work on apple tv, but amazon prime has to be run as app on iphone then shared to broadcast to the tv, no big deal, I only use it to watch The Grand Tour. Youtube has RoadKiLL and that is on apple tv as app too. I also have a $5 a month subscription to CBS (Big Bang Theory and some sports and local news). I watched the superbowl last year, no problem, I forget how, maybe it was NBC sports app, I forget really. If I want to watch college football I go to a sports bar. If I want to watch golf I pull it up on my phone and broadcast it to the apple tv. I don't miss sports, in fact I don't watch that much tv anymore. I was paying over $200 a month for tv cable internet etc, now only high speed 70/5 for 39.99 a month. I own my own router/modem so no rental there.

Research KODI, and never look back...
And UnRaid. I have a 20TB server with dual parity (2 8TB drives). All my movies and pictures and music and PC backups etc are on it. I can tolerate 2 drive failures simultaneously with no data loss.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Well... The new Leaf antennae I brought home this morning was a bust. Doesn't work. I called their customer assistance number & someone actually answered the phone. According to the information that they have on my area, I'm in a hole with poor reception.

Now what?

That KODI suggestion looks like it has a lot to offer, but I'm not really wanting to learn all the ins & outs. I just want to turn on my TV & it works.

Was going to cut the cord completely, but the cable company wound up giving me a deal for 25mps internet and 140 channels with DVR for $79.99/month for two years which is what they wanted for just the internet by itself. Will revaluate after that. At least that gives me my locals and the essentials like Velocity, Discovery's, live sports, etc. Only options I have are DSL or cable internet, no fiber optic. I do have an Amazon Fire TV 4k box that has KODI software on it which basically would give you access to most anything you want to watch. Live TV through the KODI apps is hit or miss and even though a show or movie is listed, there may not be a stream.

If you do not have Amazon fire stick with Kodi loaded on it you all are missing out! You don't have to pay for Prime, Hulu, Netflix all the TV shows are on there even Network tv shows are on there and any movie your looking for all on HD. With a little tweaking you can get addons for live sport broadcast!! All that's need it a really good internet service!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got rid of cable a long time ago. The thought of having to watch commercials when I am paying for the service annoyed the hell out of me. Todays TV and reality shows make me want to throw my 2 lb snap on hammer threw the box. The racing shows are just advertisements and the reality street racing thing is worse than watching paint dry , don't even get me started on the kardashe it. I like the forums and reading what I want. We have an apple box and Netflix and that's for my wife and daughters. Home phone is going next. :rolleyes: