Anyone own (or owned) a G body 442?

87gninpa

As the title states, anyone have (or has had) an 85-87 Olds 442? What are your opinions on the car? This is not to replace the GN, but I found a local, very clean 86 442 in black with the grey interior with 99k on it. Ive always liked the look of these cars, but because of space issues, I would have to sell my 96 Cobra, which I also like (mostly because of the 5 speed). Are these cars anything more than just to look at? I would just hate to sell my Cobra then be stuck with a car that doesnt do much for me. Any opinions appreciated.

I've always loved the look of the G-body 442's. Especially the '87 442's, but keep in mind the 307 V8 that they come with is very slow turd. I would buy one and swap the engine with a LC2, LS2, or LS3. I like the fact they come with a 8.5 rear end...

My wife has an 86. Charcoal over silver with the maroon interior. T-top car. Just built the trans for her about a year ago and installed a 10'' 3200 stall and the car feels like it lost a few hundred lbs. They have the same CB8F code D5 converters that a lot of GN's came with. Flowmasters on this car and it sounds like it is a thumping 455 but just the stock 307. Performance was something like 17.1@79mph or close. The 86-87 have the small port heads with the roller cam. Find a set of 3317 heads from an 83-85 H/O or 442 and swap them on with an intake that fits those heads and the car will wake up some more. Not a stormer by any means but still fun to drive. :)

There is no way i'd sell my cobra for a 442. I'd say keep the cobra. It has decent handling/braking and performance. If it were a GN i would say ditch the cobra in a heartbeat.

A couple have transplanted TR motors into them to run easy 10's with a 6776. Stock? I would rather have ur Cobra. But that's just me.

Thanks for the info guys. The biggest reason I wouldnt do it it because of the Cobra's 5 speed. Hate driving autos. Going to go take another look at it this weekend, but after driving the Cobra in to work today for the first time in a few months I have to say I still have a smile on my face. Cant beat the sound of a 4 cam Cobra with full exhaust!! :D I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide to do.

Two things I will point out to you. An Olds 350 is pretty much drop in and you can convert it to a stick fairly easily. This way you keep the car looking stock and get the performance you want. It won't be a Cobra but you should be albe to get it into the 13's or 12's fairly easily and still keep all the puter controls if you want to.

One of the best cars I ever had was an 86 442, loved it but yes it is a slug.