Anyone own a Honda Element?

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
I am looking for a second car. I am looking at the Element. I like the quality of Honda. I have heard that it has a timing chain instead of a belt. I like that. It looks like it has a lot of cool features. Looks like it gets good MPG. Anyone have some first hand reviews?

My dad bought one a while back, for basically the same reasons as you listed. His was the first year model, and it had a lot of ugly plastic trim sort of like the first-gen Avalanches (not sure if they're still doing that.)

Anyway, he really didn't like it. He bought it for his frequent 3 hour road trips between his businesses, but he found it to be top-heavy and very susceptible to wind, which was unnerving and noisy. We also suspect its shape also affected his fuel economy, which was less than advertised.

It was cheap feeling too. Granted, its a Honda econo-box and you expect that, but it was even more hollow and plasticky than we could stand. He traded it after about a year.

I dont knock Hondas, I think they're usually great cars, and I'm shopping for a new Civic as a driver right now. I love Hondas to beat around in and rack up miles (I commute over 100 miles a day!) But the Element was a letdown. They may have fixed their bugs by now though, Honda is usually good about that. Hope this helps.

Depending on the room you need, you might consider the Mazda3 5-door wagon. They're pretty roomy, and I've heard a ton of great things about them (the automotive press raves about them in particular.)

Hope this helps.

It's one of the ugliest vehicles on the market!...:eek: The term "econo-BOX" truly takes it's whole meaning here.

Claude. :frown:

It's one of the ugliest vehicles on the market!...:eek: The term "econo-BOX" truly takes it's whole meaning here.

Claude. :frown:

It used to be the ugliest, until the Nissan Cube hit the roads that is.

To hell with aesthetics!

Not to toot my own horn, but I designed the sound deadening treatments that are applied to the Element. For the people that cry "buy american", The vehicle was designed and built in Ohio.

I bought a used 04 for my wife about 15 months/18kmiles ago. It has 78k on it now with no issues. So far I am incredibly pleased. I have the AWD model and it is absolutely unstopable in the winter. The plastic floor is a great for keeping clean. MPG is in the mid 20's with mostly city driving. The front and rear seating is incredibly roomy. The rear seats are mounted ~4" higher than the front, so the rear passengers get a good view of the road ahead. The factory stereo on the EX model is excellent.

From personal experience with Honda engineers, they are anal about ensuring their rust preventative treatment is fully applied during assembly. I assume they want to distance themselves from the stigma associated with their 80's and early 90's cars rusting easily. Michigan is known for its heavy salt usage on the winter roads and my car is totally rust free top to bottom, even though my wife drives like a bat-out-of-hell over several miles of gravel roads daily.

Only downsides I can list is that since its a 2.4liter, you won't be able to tow much at all. I think its rated at 1700lbs? I have never tried towing with it, so I can't tell you how it does. Also, the interior is cheap, but it is capable of holding up to abuse.

All-in-all, its great utilitarian transportation. I would definitely recommend these.:cool::biggrin: Hope this helps.

Almost forgot to mention that the rear seats fold against the walls and the tailgate and hatch open wide enough to slide a buick 3.8 in the back with a cherry picker. Ask me how I know.:biggrin::biggrin:

I don't know, a brush guard, some safari lights and some blacked out rims look pretty good to me...:cool:

2006_honda_element_with_ecamper_20000_morro_bay_11711947.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

The wife may not like it. I don't mind the look. I do like the fold down seats and suicide doors. I am more worried about MPG and reliability. Still have not look at one. I may end up really hating it. We have a focus and it is on its last legs and she keep telling me she wants a bigger car. She can barely park a small focus. A large gas guzzling suv is out of the question. This looks like a compromise......sort of.

I hate to keep poking my nose into this thread, because I'm not trying to be a car salesman, but you reminded me about the other freakish feature of my wifes element is the turning radius. That little toaster can turn 180 degrees in a two lane highway without going onto the sholder. I don't know how the hell it does it.

If you test drive one, do some tight turns in the parking lot. You'll understand.

It used to be the ugliest, until the Nissan Cube hit the roads that is.

No kidding...that dumb Cube looks like a front-loading washing machine with wheels. Crackpot designers, maybe...but how the hell that thing got past the suits at Nissan headquarters and into production I will never understand.:confused:

No kidding...that dumb Cube looks like a front-loading washing machine with wheels. Crackpot designers, maybe...but how the hell that thing got past the suits at Nissan headquarters and into production I will never understand.:confused:

Funny you say that...My son said to me that it looks like a microwave oven...! :biggrin:

Claude. :)

Funny you say that...My son said to me that it looks like a microwave oven...! :biggrin:

Claude. :)

Haha yeah...pretty much any windowed appliance. Damn sure doesn't look like a car!

I thought I was pretty clever with the washing-machine thing...then I found this online! looks like Nissan's competition had that figured out before I did :rolleyes:

KIA Commercial on YouTube
untitled.jpg

It may turn out I completly hate the car. The wife wants and SUV and this is the closest I could find that would not drain the pocket book on gas. Anyone have another idea about similar SUVish vehicles?

It may turn out I completly hate the car. The wife wants and SUV and this is the closest I could find that would not drain the pocket book on gas. Anyone have another idea about similar SUVish vehicles?

Subaru's have some excellent ratings and really hold their value, sometimes better than Honda's. The Forester gets better mileage than the Element and, to me anyway, looks a million times better. And they're actually cheaper! Don't forget to look at the Outback too. I've driven a 2011 Outback and was VERY impressed.

We had an 06 CR-V with the 2.4 motor, great little motor. Averaged about 21-22 MPG mostly city driving. The AWD did great in snow, but its still a light vehicle, great for the wife though as she thought it would go anywhere ;).

Some friends of ours had an Element and absolutely loved it. They were both tall and it fit them well. With the floors and the kids it worked well too. Not sure how they hold their value, but you can't go wrong with a Honda as a DD. As for the ugly award, my vote would definately be for the Aztek!

Got an 09 CRV AWD is awsome in bad weather. Not very pepy but good mileage around 20 mpg. The girl loves it. Interior is a little boring but looks to be durable. Can't go wrong with a Honda DD (for her) :biggrin: