Anyone know about salvage/rebuilt titles?

101prf

I found a 2005 F250 crewcab diesel 4x4 with 64000 miles for $18,000 but the truck has a rebuilt title. The truck is very clean lariat package and looks like a brand new truck, the accident was 40000 miles ago. It's a $30,000 truck but I don't know much about the title. I can have it inspected and the dealer was up front about the title. Any advice?

salvage title

i have had serval,find out where it was damaged. LOOK IT OVER REAL GOOD!!!!!!!!! pm me if you have questions.

I have owned many salvage title cars/trucks they are generally repaired vehicles or stolen. The insurance just pays out & the car is sold at auction or a yard that sells them to shops that repair them.. As long as is still repairable. An example I think is ADESA auction in Framingham mass ... they r a big auction house they sell & repair at all levels. They are in the old GM plant. Big operation too.

What really makes the difference is who did the work.

Usually the vehicle has to be inspected by the state to be recirtified for a title.

The best part is that the prices are better which makes a big difference to a working slob like me.

I've bought & drove a couple, they can be a good deal if they were repaired properly and you keep the vehicle for a long time. They can be tough to resell. Given its a truck, its always going to be worth something, clean or rebuild title when it depreciates more. If it looks clean and checks out, go for it.

On a side note - have you reviewed the 7.3 powerstrokes with the newer ones? You'll see a variety of opinions on reliability of the engines on various years. Just something to consider...

As a standard rule in the car business, salvaged vehicles are worth MAX 1/3rd of normal value...

what are you goin to do with the truck ??? If your goin to drive it into the ground it could be a great deal . If your goin to keep just for a year or to remember its goin to be harder to sell with a Salvage title . Personally they don't bother me as long as the car/truck passes MY inspection. Oh if ya buy it an the truck has an accident ins co will play games with the "value" of the truck. :rolleyes:

Call your insurance company before anything. You buy truck for 18,000 and total it a month later and now they tell you there going to pay out 9,000 your screwed. They will not pay actual value on a salvage car or truck. If they say they do get in writing. That a good price for that truck. I just looked at an 08 350 with a bent frame for $28,000 but the frame is creased real bad up front. It would have to be replaced:eek: get that truck inspected before buying it.

Quick note on the 05's. They DID have some isuues Oil coolers etc that are not cheap fixes. Problems were fixed in 06. Some 05's were 'detuned" by the dealer but this killed power and mileage. I have seen 05's with similar miles going for 23-26K here on dealer lots (25K for an 05 King Ranch with 55K on the odometer). Just make sure you check it out good.

research the vehicle and find out why it was written off, what kind of damage and location ie; hard rear end collision? moderate front end collision?, light damage to all surfaces? There are lots of different things that can add up to a "total". That will give you a good indication as to whether you should mess with it.

I call a local ford dealer and asked about an oasis report, the service tech said it had no major warranty repairs. I couldn't find any signs of an accident and all four tires show even wear, the truck is from Georgia and looks like a brand new truck. I plan on keeping it for a long time if I buy it (I wouldn't be looking for a new truck if my kid were not out growing the back seat of my 99 Chevy). I may offer them a little less and see what happens. It's been a long time since I've had a truck payment. Also Progressive could not tell me what the "cash value" would be, they said I would have to call the DMV for that.

A salvage title means it's up to the new owner to do the repair work and get the inspection from your state's MVD to make it roadworthy, a major pain in the butt in most states.

A rebuilt title means the work is already done and the title should be relatively clean, I would make sure there are no snags in registering it in your state.

I don't know why the value would change if the car was rebuilt to MVD standards for roadworthiness and there was no other pre-existing damage that is visible?

But then I DO know your average insurance company is out to cheat you that's for sure. :mad:

Progressive's response to you is something to consider before you buy....why would the DMV have anything to do with the value of the truck you are going to insure with them? Might want to ask them, if the truck books for $30k, if your policy is going to cover it up to at least your purchase price, even with the title history.

Good luck...sounds like a nice truck!

I am a dealer in bham al and I buy salvage vehicles and fix them all the time. As far as your states rules I dont know, but my advice to you is if it has water damage fresh water or salt dont mess with it IT WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU could be 10 miles or 100,000 I very seldom mess with one. It being a later model truck it took a pretty good of damage for it to be totaled out. Its prolly been knocked out of the road, but as long as someone knew what they were doing when they fixed it its fine.
Like sgrim said usually figure rough value or the lowest price on the book when buying a rebuilt title.
If your going to drive it for a long time you will prolly be alright dont buy it to resale it.
Just about all the vehicles in my family are rebuilt, you can get a lot nicer vehicle for the money if its rebuilt. Good luck just check it out real good and have someone else look at it.

Well I decided to pass on the truck not due to the title, but because the 6.0 powerstroke doesn't look like the best diesel. I'll keep running my current truck until the right one comes along.

Well I decided to pass on the truck not due to the title, but because the 6.0 powerstroke doesn't look like the best diesel. I'll keep running my current truck until the right one comes along.

Bingo! 6.0 is not worth it imo only ford diesel that is worth a crap was 7.3