Anyone interested in turbo Riviera engine parts?

Originally posted by cool 84
I just picked up a complete turbo Riviera motor complete with wiring harness, everything, even AC compressor. I'm most likely putting the longblock in my car since my engine builder has had my motor for over a year and shows no sign of completion. Everything else is for sale. Not sure if there is any demand for these parts. One interesting thing is the turbo uses a .82 housing. I didn't know that so it should be worth a little over a stock Gn turbo. Oilpan is for sale too since I can't use it.

COOL 84, Sorry to hear off your engines problems, you will get it running better than ever in the future I"M sure.
I was just wondering about your Intercooler set-up, did you plumb it up your self? Did you relocate the Throttle body?

I have got my turbo buick problems also, plenty of headaches trying to hot rod these Riviera's

Good Luck<> Blackhawk 38

I made my own intercooler and relocated the TB. Long story but I started with the Spearco kit back in '96 and as I upgraded turbos, when I got to a TA62 I encountered severe idle and throttle response problems so I relocated back in '99. I upgraded to the Ford unit in '01 and ran my own 3" piping for $60. No track times but the difference was noticable even on pump gas between the different intercoolers/ plumbing. I really didn't expect a differece until high boost. The Ford unit also got rid of all engine cooling problems I had with the Spearco unit.

On a sad note, the exhaust housing is slightly different on the Rivieras like someone already told me. I expected to swap elbows but the turbine inlet is just slightly off. Luckily the PTE unit froze solid with no oil leakage so we pulled the wastegate rod and plan to limp the car around until the new true GT series becomes available. This is the fourth PTE failure so far.

Originally posted by TRiv

If you didn't already sell, I am going to pass on the turbo, going with the 87, but still interested in the driver side header and crossover pipe, let me know a price, thanks.

Cool 84, still looking for price on the Riviera driver side header and crossover, still interested.

Blackhawk38, keep me posted on the project. I plan to post Riviera to 87 intercooled swap as soon as I have more info. There are some issues the Regal guys don't have to deal with. Didn't TAZ install an 87 engine to his TH 325 4L trans? I'll have to give him a buzz. You also mentioned that Vince also did the same?

Sorry, I meant to PM you as soon as I made the last post. You'll have a PM in one minute.

I guess since it doesn't fit I'll have to pass. :( sorry about that. But still waiting for some pics of that tb placement you were talking about ;)

When youre ready to sell the riviera turbo, Im ready to buy. Looking for one its all i need to get the rail going. Thanks

Riviera turbo

Originally posted by whiteyz
When youre ready to sell the riviera turbo, Im ready to buy. Looking for one its all i need to get the rail going. Thanks

White wz, do you have turbo Riviera, I see that cool 84 stated it as .82 A/R turbine housing, I have never seen one, I thought they were all .63 A/R. ERIC turbofish38, can you clear this up?

Goodluck , Blackhawk38

I just checked mine its a .63 so the .82 wont work? The motor and turbo came out of a 85 riviera, it looked stock, pulled the motor out myself so i know at least that was what this riviera had.
Anybody see any problems switching to .82?
Thanks

.82 A/R turbine housing

I just checked mine its a .63 so the .82 wont work? The motor and turbo came out of a 85 riviera, it looked stock, pulled the motor out myself so i know at least that was what this riviera had.
Anybody see any problems switching to .82?
Thanks

I do not know much about it, but if it will fit mechanically, It should work fine, different characteristics, John craig uses a better exhaust wheel when he rebuilds them, I just have never known that buick ever used this housing on the sfi riviera of 1984 or 1985.

What year is your car , and what color is it?

Regards, blackhawk38

The motor and th325 are in a sandrail i built. I had a 350 chevy with the adapter plate to originally put in, but i found a pretty sweet deal on this 3.8 turbo riviera motor and decided for the low cost, better ability to climb the dunes without the carb, and better fuel economy for now, it was going to be better in the long run to run the turbo, instead of the custom oil pan and custom motor mounts i was going to need for the sbc. Plus for the fact by the time i would buy a new hei distributor and new carb for my sbc i paid for this motor.

Sand RAIL

The motor and th325 are in a sandrail i built. I had a 350 chevy with the adapter plate to originally put in, but i found a pretty sweet deal on this 3.8 turbo riviera motor and decided for the low cost, better ability to climb the dunes without the carb, and better fuel economy for now, it was going to be better in the long run to run the turbo, instead of the custom oil pan and custom motor mounts i was going to need for the sbc. Plus for the fact by the time i would buy a new hei distributor and new carb for my sbc i paid for this motor.

White YZ, your set up sounds cool, Light and plenty of power
Do you have custom exhaust or factory Riviera headers and crossover?
What year was your motor out of 84 or 85?

Regards, Blackhawk 38

For right now I am using the factory riviera headers and crossover. Future plans include the intercooler. It was out of an 85 riviera.

How is the engine/trans mounted in your rail, do the pulleys face forward or to the rear? in other words is the motor/trans weight mostly in front of or behind the rear axle centerline? And if in front of CL, are you using some sort of reverse rotation gearbox? Does anyone you know in the sandrail world use such a gearbox on the TH325-425 transmissions to get the motor weight in front of the rear axle centerline? Any sources for such a gearbox?

TRiv I sent you a email with some pics of the set up. The motor is facing forward just like in riviera. It seems pretty balanced with the motor/trans pretty close to the middle of the rear tires. We will see hopefully by January. And how well the trans does with some paddles on it. Any other questions just ask, because I still have plenty to figure out before then.