Anyone here from the Austin area?

GNut

Considering a move to the Austin Texas area and just curious about the area. Likes/Dislikes, any info is good info.. Thanks

Tom Houser
Performance Instruments
www.gnxdash.com

Tom, from what I have seen of Austin is that it is a beautiful place for the most part. The summers are hot and humid, but not as bad as Dallas or Houston, but more so than Sacramento. The business climate in Texas is far better than California for sure, so that is a major plus. They average 300 days a year of sunshine, so that is a big positive also.
Not much info, but that is what I know about it.

Mark

Thanks Mark!!. We're going out there for a week in April to check it all out. I'd love to hook up with a board member who knows the area.

Make sure you visit 6th street in downtown. :cool: Many good bands/concerts in Austin. Whatever you do, stay clear of I-35. Too much traffic for my taste.

Others who live there can give you more info.

Dannyo

Tom, email me with things you would like to know. I have been a cop in Austin for the last 8 years.

Zac Pruett

Ah... Austin... Home sweet home.

Its an awesome place to live except for 4 things, got to be honest here.
1. Traffic, lots of people, everyone has a car so the roads are a bit clogged at rush hours
2. t'sips, I'm an Aggie so living that close to tu I had to put up with all of those idiots
3. Heat, consider A/C manditory as it pushes 100+ for most of the summer
4. Fire Ants, pretty much nuff'said there

Just my comments,

Thanks for all the great replys!
Having lived in large or medium sized California cities now for the past 8 years, you can't scare me off with "Traffic"! :D

Zac.. we'll hook up via email, My wife has a lot of questions but mostly wants info on the Round Rock, Cedar Park, and Leander areas. I spent 10 years in Corpus Christi so I'm no stranger to Texas but she's California born and raised. I checked out emissions testing laws in Texas and they appear very leanient!
You'd know best..

Anyone else feel free to post your honest opinions.. we want the good and bad!

Thanks!

I left Corpus in '96. I used to hang out at Carl Wendells car wash and run weekend races at Cabiness airfield. When I lived there there were only 3 or 4 Turbo Buicks.. hard to miss us that's for sure! Good times...crappy weather (HOT!!).

im going to A&M in college station right now, but i grew up in leander. Austin is a really nice area because there is a ton of stuff to do, but like anywhere you live it will have its drawbacks. the biggest one that i can think of is traffic. I would probably avoid Leander school district though (if you have, or plan on having kids), because cedar park has better facilities...and it is just plain better. And this is coming from someone who just graduated from leander.

emmisions arent too tuff, and there are quite a few buick enthusiasts in the area. also, regal performance is in leander/cedar park (im not sure which).

-jeff

hey CTX-SLPR, what class are you and what was your degree in? i am '08 and mechanical engineering. Gig 'em

-jeff

I'm actually not an TX A&M grad, unlike the rest of my family (Father '75, Mother '77, Uncle '77, Uncle '81, Cousin '04, Sister '05), I'm a Class of 2003 (BONG!!!) from the US Air Force Academy, but I still bleed deep Maroon. I was a Physics major with a consentration in Space Propulsion, yeah rocket science, would have done the same thing at A&M and would have been a Air Force Outlaw 8 class of '03. I wish I could make more games at Kyle but being stationed in Ohio doesn't help. Gig'em brother!

WHOOP!!!!

I'm originally from Pflugerville, love the area, except the 'sips, Pflugerville, Manor, Cedar Park, Westlake, and Lake Travis are probably the best schools in the area, though Lake Travis and Westlake are very, very ritzy areas. I'd say pick a side of town that you'll be working on then see which one of the above has the best schools, you don't want to have to do what my father does and leave for work at 0500 to miss the traffic. If you want a good place to go for emmissions, Woody's Auto in Pflugerville off of 685 to Hutto is the place I'd go.

in my experiences, if your car is unique, and you take it to a place where some of the employees are car guys, they are VERY forgiving of emmisions violations. one time i went with my brother to get his bagged blazer with a 350 in it inspected, and they didnt even get inside the truck. the guy just came walking out with his jaw open and sticker in hand!

-jeff