Anyone have experience Hard Block'ing a 109?

QuickWrench

Don't Read This
Does anyone have proven experience with a stock block that's been filled with Hard Block? If so, were you able to make a pass and drive the car back to the pits without overheating?

I've done several Chevy blocks this way, but never a Buhog.

Thanks.

Sorry no answer for ya, but I would like to piggyback on it. Wondering about HardBlocking a prod. 4.1 to bring it up to a 109's strength or better.

My 109 is half filled. I drive it 75 miles a day. Doe's not get over 175. Today it is 99 out, just got home. No promblem ever.

SIXBANGR said:
My 109 is half filled. I drive it 75 miles a day. Doe's not get over 175. Today it is 99 out, just got home. No promblem ever.

SIXBANGR,

How hard have you pushed your motor? Little warmer here in TX 100+ :(

Scott Atk said:
Sorry no answer for ya, but I would like to piggyback on it. Wondering about HardBlocking a prod. 4.1 to bring it up to a 109's strength or better.
Me, too. We just split one in half on the dyno, using GN1-Rs. :( Saved everything but the cam, though. No big loss.

A TSM guy was running one with hard blok.He was also runnning 5.13 gears and .040 TRW's.I think he was running mid to high 10's.

The short block was in Terry Ryan's car. He is in Oragon, ran low 10's when he had it.

No need for Hard Block, just build/tune it right and you can throw down 1000 HP no problem. :eek:

top gun said:
No need for Hard Block, just build/tune it right and you can throw down 1000 HP no problem. :eek:
No doubt, Dave. I just wish we had more time to dedicate to this thing.

I should clarify...the motor we put together was based on an OE 4.1 block, which ate itself yesterday with GN1-R's. I'm not worried about a 109 specifically, just wondering what the temps are like on raceday on a filled V-6 block. I don't think anyone's going to appreciate it if guys start showing up with tow vehicles for the return road.

You should not have a problem running the hardblock on a 109 on the street. Oil temps may be higher and that is it.

mine is filled to the freeze plugs and it will get to 210 sitting at a red light in 93 degree weather with the A/C on. Turn it off and the temp will go down to about 195 at the light. Around 183 on the highway. So yes it does affect my motor in the heat. Oil pressure stays the same.