anyone ever run 1.850 rod journal?

bigdwg03

I notice a lot of race guys going to smaller rod journals, anyone here ever use 1.850? You can get some used nascar rods on ebay and maybe make something work, just dont know if the crank would be strong enough at that size.
thanks

When the journals are that small, A splayed crankshaft looses too much of the overlap that the two rod journals share. This would make the crank very weak. The NASCAR guys are are using a honda rod bearing in a connecting rod without an offset. In a v8, the connecting rods share a common rod journal. In the Buick stock block engines,every connecting rod has its own journal and the big end of the rod is offset from the small end.

Dave

You could do it in an Odd fire motor due to the common pin crankshaft design. On an Even fire motor it wouldn't be a good idea for the reasons Dave stated.

Neal

When Ron Tarabori was still running an Odd fire motor in his dirt track car we discussed the idea. Nothing ever panned out but it could be done. He's running a Chevy V6 these days so I guess someone else will have to try it.

Neal

what about a SBC 2.100 journal? still too weak? it would help open up rod choices a TON! lol would 2.100 work on a forged crank? even fire...

thanks

I've seen a few long stroke SBC journal cranks break. However I have run a stock stroke BMS crank with SBC journals and it held up just fine. Before there were overseas stroker cranks several vendors used to offset grind stock stroke steel cranks for SBC journals and it seemed to work.

Neal

how much power did you put to your crank? how much power would the stroker cranks take??
thanks again!!!

When I had that crank in my stock block motor it ran low 10's in a full weight car so lets say 700H.P. for sake of argument. As far as the "stroker cranks" go do you mean the ones that were offset ground for SBC journals? If so I can't say for sure since I didn't ever have one. I know Billy Anderson and Webbers were doing them like that. Maybe someone else who had one can chime in.

Neal