Anyone ever get busted for NOT having a Cat ?

TTA

I am thinking of running a gutted cat in place of my testpipe just in case I get pulled over and the cop wants to get picky. Will I notice any difference in sound or performance going from testpipe to gutted cat?

I haven't gotten busted around here, but yeah in CA I think I'd probably make an attempt to hide it.

don't attract attention to yourself. (ie: burn outs, speeding, having loud exhaust or even a loud radio). I try and keep it low key. Don't need the hassle.

In fact I was driving the T with no plates on the Highway and speeding (just a little- keeping up with traffic on the 5) and I was tailed by a CHP and not even stopped... ;)

And I had jsut failed my smog test...

I got pulled over for my car being too loud, see southwest section thread.

The cop checked for the cat/ mufflers..... Run a hollowed one like someone I know :cool:

turbo39151 said:
don't attract attention to yourself. (ie: burn outs, speeding, having loud exhaust or even a loud radio). I try and keep it low key. Don't need the hassle.

In fact I was driving the T with no plates on the Highway and speeding (just a little- keeping up with traffic on the 5) and I was tailed by a CHP and not even stopped... ;)

And I had jsut failed my smog test...

You forgot to mention how you were throwing beer bottles at the speed limit signs and firing you gun into the air out your window!! LOL!

Seriously I would make it so you weld the shell of an old cat around a test pipe so it is a pipe hidden within a useless shell.Then you can avoid the nasty turbulence a gutted cat causes.

nj has spot roadside inspection setups , passed by one the other day just as they were setting up in east windsor , they used to run one in manalapan so if you run hollow you still could get snagged for emmissions but Im sure its better than not having one at all.

i went collector inspection exemption , emmisions and safety exempt , so no cat no worries

i got pulled over in my mustang and they asked and even looked,
I told them i had "flowcats" a muffler that has the cats intergrated into the muffler.
Sounds beliveable huh? they bought it. And i drove away.. ;)

PaCemkr86 said:
i got pulled over in my mustang and they asked and even looked,
I told them i had "flowcats" a muffler that has the cats intergrated into the muffler.
Sounds beliveable huh? they bought it. And i drove away.. ;)
ROTFLOL :D :D That's great!! hehe
For our cars, I don't think they are very loud at all without a cat if there's any type of muffler on it. Heck I was just driving around this last weekend with the dump open, even then its not as loud as some of these cars drivign around..in fact a Fiat passed me going the opposite direction that just about scared the crap out of me it was so loud... If a Harley can make all that dam noise I don't know why the police have a problem with a car making half that noise that the motorcycles make.

The later mustangs run 4 cats. My 99 cobra had none for about 4 years. I got pulled over once for expired tags, and he didnt ask or check. He said "Nice cobra man, whaddya have done to it?" I said Dr. Gas X-pipe (only comes in offroad form lol), magnaflow catback, blah blah blah...He said yeah my brother in law's got a cobra and those things are quick! Nice car! Take it easy bro! I was stunned, but actually, not really. In 5 years, I had about 5 ricers try to start **** on the freeway/streets, and I would just ignore them while they would wind their leaf blower to the stratosphere and take off as fast as they could. The thing about these 5 or so individuals, is shortly after they tried racing me and I ignored them, a cop pulled out of nowhere and pulled them over. Its such a satisfying feeling to drive slowly past the ricer and laugh after making an ass out of himself, and then getting pulled over ontop of it. Most cops around here HATE rice and are all about american musclecars, so we can get away with murder around here. Cops will pull over a late model american musclecar with an 8-71 blower sticking out of the hood with no cats or mufflers, and will give them a warning, while if they pull over a honda with a K&N and a fartpipe, the car gets impounded. Seriously they hate ricers with all their hearts. Cali isnt as bad as some think. There are no roadside inspections either...maybe for drunk driving, but its been a long time since I drove through any of those.....and was actually drunk 2 different times and they handed me a "dont drive drunk" pen and said "drive safe!" and let me pass hahahaha!
Whoa...I just noticed you live in monrovia...thats my hometown! Well, Durock and M-town. :cool: I'm sure we're the only ones that know what du-rock is all about, haha. Maybe we know each other!

Happen to catch a roadside check and they not only checked for a cat they also raised my car up with a tow truck took pictures impounded my car and arrested me fo a class a misdameanor. The judge through it out of court and told the DA to leave these guys alone, it helps I guese to be in court with real criminals.

tom j said:
Happen to catch a roadside check and they not only checked for a cat they also raised my car up with a tow truck took pictures impounded my car and arrested me fo a class a misdameanor. The judge through it out of court and told the DA to leave these guys alone, it helps I guese to be in court with real criminals.
So did you assault the cop before or after he checked for cats? :D

I know of a recent incident that is true: somebody here local to the LA County, Orange County area got popped about 2 months ago, for not haveing cat, and by the time that all of the smoke cleared and he was back in the graces of the smog refs, he was $2500 short in his billfold. By the time that he was done with everything, that was about the cost for all. Gofstbuick in the smog section is the expert out here, but i believe that if you get popped for a smog infraction, you are not allowed to fix it, you are mandated to go before a smog ref and he will tell you what to fix, and I think that he needs to bless all of the repairs before you present it to a smog station for buyoff. Not my idea of fun.

krom said:
So leaded gas with no cat would not go over in California :D
--------------------------------
Leaded race gas & no cat goes over very big out here. I think that I am going to stick with a shorty "2-parameter" cat and 100 octane non-leaded for a while. When i get bored, the cat might get bored also. You guys in Az have all of the luck.

pacecarta said:
nj has spot roadside inspection setups , passed by one the other day just as they were setting up in east windsor , they used to run one in manalapan so if you run hollow you still could get snagged for emmissions but Im sure its better than not having one at all.

i went collector inspection exemption , emmisions and safety exempt , so no cat no worries

Sorry to jump in.. but with the NJ collector inspection sticker you don't need a cat?