Anyone ever fool with an MSD DIS4 ???

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
It looks like a pretty slick arrangement if it actually works as advertised...

I tried doing a search on "MSD" and got zip.

It looks like it can activate a rev limiter on the transbrake and pull timing when nitrous is spraying.

Anybody familiar with them ? and do they work on our cars ??? :confused:

Most feel it does nothing which is why they get buried in the for sale section.

Most feel it does nothing which is why they get buried in the for sale section.

Really??...Mmmm! :confused: :frown:..I'm having one installed on my GN next spring (pt.# 62152 or 53, not sure..), along with the adapter(pt.#8878).

Claude. :redface:

My main reason for asking, isn't necessarily for increased performance... but for better launch control using the 2-step with the trans brake and the ability to retard timing if I hit the nitrous.

I finally found some threads using "dis4" in my search... and it seems some like it, some don't. :rolleyes:

They're great when they work. Seem to have a pretty good failure rate. Pretty sure it's heat related. Mine would quit working when it got hot for a while then it would work again once cooled off. Finally quit altogether.
Two step works great which is why I like it. I bought one used off the board. I plan on sending my first one back to MSD for rebuild eventually so I have a backup.

I have a box full of bad DIS-4's. As far as I know, if you're running the stock ignition, they are the only 2-step available. I have had quite a few customers go to distributor just to stay away from the DIS-4's

Yeah, that's another search I was doing on here too...

The DIS-4 sure is alot of money for something that appears so unreliable.

It almost looks easier to swap to a distributor and 7al3 instead.

I don't suppose there are any flying magnet crank triggers available for our cars ?

If you really want a flying magnet, try Mike Booher or Don Cruz. It is not needed to go to a distributor. Most people just use the stock crank sensor.

I never had problems with mine, yet have helped others with problems. At least there was a plug to bypass it when in doubt.

Problem is they are potted in epoxy, meaning repairs are impossible. So once they go bad, its done.

Like all ignition boxes a simple bad ground, bad power connection will fry it.

Art, with all your trying to do.. sounds like you need to really be on a FAST. :redface:

... As far as I know, if you're running the stock ignition, they are the only 2-step available.

I am currently developing a 2-step for the stock ignition system, it will also have ignition retard built in.

I will post a video of it working in the next couple days.

It will be available in the early spring from the various Buick vendors.

It will be priced very reasonably. :)

Bob

I am currently developing a 2-step for the stock ignition system, it will also have ignition retard built in.

It will be priced very reasonably.

Bob

That would be great! Let us know how the "development" is going.

Bob

That makes me extremely happy to hear!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Yet again, the Mad Scientist advances our hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Bob

Good news Bob...

Bob

cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Art, with all your trying to do.. sounds like you need to really be on a FAST.

Yeah, I was expecting to hear that sooner or later. :D

They are the cats whiskers... but alot of money. If I go that route, it would probably need to wait 'till Spring. I have all Winter to read, ponder and learn. :cool:

The scariest thing with that is getting it dialed-in... That suff is completely alien to me. There's a guy (Frank/PSI Motorsports) that tunes cars for several friends of mine. He has some really fast stuff out there... and is fairly local to me... I'd need to pick his brain, along with the experts on this board if I ever expet to make it work. ;)

Is there any negative effect of spraying alky and being on the two-step? Lets say if you were going to launch at like 12psi, alkys spraying, and the two step starts working....? I looked at the MSD for the two step, but this question kept me away from it.

Bob

That's fantastic !

I'm sure you will have no shortage of volunteers to try it. :wink:

Is there any negative effect of spraying alky and being on the two-step? Lets say if you were going to launch at like 12psi, alkys spraying, and the two step starts working....? I looked at the MSD for the two step, but this question kept me away from it.

The biggest problem I could forsee is maybe a WB tracking chip trying to correct the fueling while on the limiter. :confused: