Anyone else have a street chip setup like mine?

Berman

I didn't make this setup, mind you, the guy I bought the car from did. One chip I have, the one the car runs best with is a Harper racing chip which sets the timing at 0. That's right, 0. And the car boosts 20-23 on the street with absolutely no knock or pinging, the plugs come out looking perfect. He said at times he boosted it to 25 with no knock.

I would think less boost and more timing would be better. My friend who I bought the car from said all that'll do is make it spin off the line more. When the car was his, he was constantly laying the smack down on 11 second cars on the street, though.

Like I said, from reading this site anyway, I haven't seen another GN set up like this. The setup does work, as the car has run 12.3 on pump gas exactly like this. (stock converter, mind you. can't wait to see what it does when I finally get a converter)

My friend can't do anything normally, though, so I'm not surprised at the weird setup coming from him :D His **** does haul ass though. He's got an 8-second Saleen (can you believe he ripped up a saleen?) racecar that runs a small block chevy.

IMHO I bet ($0.02) that the timing isn't ZERO. If someone scans or reads the chip you will find out that the timing is REDUCED from stock but not ZERO. I could be wrong.

I have done chips for nitrous with reduced timing and with just 5 degrees reduced from the stock setting on the bottom end, the car is sluggest when NOS is off. With NOS on, it is a mean bear.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
As long as the car runs great on the chip is all that matters.

Gary

perhaps the timing is zero or some low number at spool to build more heat and then goes back to some normal number?

DS will probably show the real story. It ain't zero at wot.

Originally posted by Black Car
IMHO I bet ($0.02) that the timing isn't ZERO. If someone scans or reads the chip you will find out that the timing is REDUCED from stock but not ZERO. I could be wrong.

I have done chips for nitrous with reduced timing and with just 5 degrees reduced from the stock setting on the bottom end, the car is sluggest when NOS is off. With NOS on, it is a mean bear.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
As long as the car runs great on the chip is all that matters.

Gary

Oh, I'd bet any amount of money it's zero. It's a custom chip that the guy who built the car ordered. Timing is at 0 at WOT. I am not mistaken, 0. Besides, how else could you boost 23-25 lbs on the street with 0 knock, no alchy, from a PT52?

I think my friend's logic behind this chip was whoop ass on the street, on street tires. Give it timing so it will spool up faster and spin the tires even worse? Especially on the street, on street tires, this setup works for hooking up. This car has laid the smack down on a lot of 11 second cars on the street because they just sit there spinning their tires.

If you just nail it off the line and don't spool it up at all, between the PT52 and stock converter, and 0 degrees timing at WOT, it is sluggish until the turbo spools, and it spools slower than it does with the other chips I have. But it pulls harder, no doubt.

Originally posted by Steve Wood
perhaps the timing is zero or some low number at spool to build more heat and then goes back to some normal number?

DS will probably show the real story. It ain't zero at wot.

Man I need a scan tool. My friend who I bought the car from is a mechanic at a performance shop, so he would just use the GM scan tool. Anyway I will hook it up after work and double check. But I'm quite sure it's at 0.. He said when he was ordering it they kept trying to talk him out of it, saying that's a stupid way to set up the car, etc.

I saw another example of a weird set-up vehicle my friend built and sold, just yesterday.(I saw it yesterday, he built it and sold it years ago) 80 something S-10, with a very healthy 427 big block (with a 250 shot just in case), hooked up to syclone drivetrain. How did he even hook that up? He also did another one that's just plain 2wd, but it's stupid it spins the tires the whole quarter mile.

Man I wish I had the skills this guy has.. I'd have so many cool cars.

Me thinks a scan tool is in order for this car.
That way the real story can come out on what the timing table looks like.
Like everybody else I have my doubts about any chip being able to run a T/R with zero degrees of timing, even at WOT.

I may not be the expert some are, but I've got about 10 years of T/R chip burning under my belt and have not heard of any such thing. It would be an absolute PIG, and any boost with no timing what-so-ever, boost or no boost.

I sincerely thing the person you bought it from is either having a good laugh at your expense or doesn't really understand the internal workings of the chips.

If the timing was zero I would think that the car would run hotter since it doesn't have enough time to get rid of all the exhaust and the turbo would probably spool pretty quick with that hot of an exhaust gas.

it'd prolly cause the motor to backfire through the exhaust and REALLY spin the turbo.. Prolly won't have much topend though..

ks:confused:

The reason I do not believe it has zero wot is that it would not have time to burn the fuel in the combustion chamber beforre spitting a burning mixture out the exhaust. Therefore it would have little if any power and would run very poorly.

Most of the chips I saw with less than 17 degs ran pretty poorly. One has to leave enuf time to get the fire started and allow the flame front to traverse the combustion chamber.

I think someone misunderstood some where in the chain of communication. :)

Just for safety's sake, always try to get someone else to put up the money on bets... :D

The reason I do not believe it has zero wot is that it would not have time to burn the fuel in the combustion chamber beforre spitting a burning mixture out the exhaust. Therefore it would have little if any power and would run very poorly.

Most of the chips I saw with less than 17 degs ran pretty poorly. One has to leave enuf time to get the fire started and allow the flame front to traverse the combustion chamber.

Just for safety's sake, always try to get someone else to put up the money on bets... :D

Precisely, and on top of that, what did burn would be so hot the headers would be cherry red just cruising :eek:

0 degrees at WOT is hard to believe. Normal street chips fire 20 degrees before TDC. Firing at zero, the piston is already on the way down by the time the combustion explosion occurs. The result is a big loss of power because you do not have as much downforce pushing the piston down.

Originally posted by TurboDave

I sincerely thing the person you bought it from is either having a good laugh at your expense or doesn't really understand the internal workings of the chips.

It's much more likely that I don't understand, and misunderstood what he was explaining to me. I think a guy who can build their own 8 second chevy powered saleen, who has made an s10 with syclone drivetrain hooked to a 427, etc, understands timing. :)

Heh, knowing him, he could very well be having a laugh at my expense :D (he's my friend, not some random guy I bought the car from).

That's what I think now after reading your guy's explanations. I could have realized the same thing if I had thought about it for a second..

TJ, I don't think its the same Harper, Rick doesn't burn chips. TJ, your not one of the guys that likes to slam him but never had any work done by him are you? ;)

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
TJ, your not one of the guys that likes to slam him but never had any work done by him are you? ;)

I've had work done by him........and I've had work done because of him. :rolleyes:

Now you've reminded me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, he's done all the work on my car, and 4 years of 23+lbs of boost hasn't hurt it yet.

Tell me what happened tonight at the towers.

If I recall correctly Orlando, Rick's friend is running a verrrrrryyyyy low timming chip and a whole lotta boost. I think when I was talking to John at Red Armstrong's about chips he had mentioned it to me and said he thought it was a very unorthodox method.

He said the whole thinking was on the edge but he couldn't argue with his success.

:cool:

ahh, the infamous Orlando comes upon the scene once again! I would sure like some facts about this car (real facts, not second hand knowledge)

why do I think this will never happen? (maybe he has some real good secrets and does not want to share......if that is the case, fine!)