anyone dyno a stock GN?

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
taking my 87 GN to a dyno tomorrow and was wondering what nunbers i should expect. the car is stock except for a duttweiler intercooler neck, msd wires, and k&N intake.
anyone else ever dyno their stock GN?

There was an article a while back (~June 03?) in Turbo magazine where they dyno'ed a near stock GN, with and without an intercooler sprayer.

i haven't but depending on tune, i would expect to see around 225 to 230 hp at the wheels, and 320+ lb of torque

I saw a bone stock 30k T dynoed a couple of years ago. I don't remember the torque but HP was in the 220 range. Pretty much what you would expect using a driveline loss calculation.

i had all the free mods but other than that it was stock
oh and i was running 22 psi with better gas

full exhaust 315 horsepower and 385 foot pounds of torque
open exhaust 312 horsepower and 417 foot pounds of torque
this is at the rear wheel

I just dyno'ed my hotair.

Pig rich, no tune 100k mile motor. No mods other than adj. FPR.

Stock fuel pump even.

151hp at rear wheels.

Dyno sheet in gallery at www.jsmanufacturing.com

I am sure it had 20-30hp had I did some minor tuning, tweaking, etc.

That is hotair car also, which has smaller turbo.

12psi boost.

Originally posted by GotGas8668
i had all the free mods but other than that it was stock
oh and i was running 22 psi with better gas

full exhaust 315 horsepower and 385 foot pounds of torque
open exhaust 312 horsepower and 417 foot pounds of torque
this is at the rear wheel
Yes, with 22 psi stock turbo and using horsepower formula, ET, and mph on a 3650 lb race weight, I usually find anywhere from 320 to 340 hp using this: http://www.quarterjr.com/DragstripDyno.asp

Just use different hp numbers till you find your ET you ran. On Racing style, use Full Race if your 60' times are good, into the 1.7s, and Pro street if they are 1.8s to 1.9s, and Street if less. The quarter mile mph are a bit high for TRs, but the 1/8 mile times are close on my numbers.

For a stock TR on pump gas, I've read everything from 250 to 275 hp.

I Dynoed my GN in July of 2002 with the following mods after doing the complete spring cleaning on gnttype.org..

Cottons street chip
K&N air filter
3.5" single shot exhaust with test pipe

On Sunoco 94 octane pump gas, 18 psi of boost, 19 degrees of timing the car made 285.8HP and 377.3Lb/ft of torque at the wheels according to the dyno (Dynojet 248C)

Charles Brooks

Kinda makes you wonder how could a 245 net horsepower rated 3600 lb BRICK run high 13's, low 14's at near 100 mph in showroom stock form??? easy...it was UNDER rated! the reason was because of the Corvette...but the bone stock 86/87 GNs probably had nearly 300 horsepower at the flywheel and around 245 or so at the rear wheels...add some free mods and cheap mods and you got yourself 400 horsepower to the wheels without breaking a sweat!

Originally posted by Dan Buick Man
What free mods? Point me in the right direction. I don't want to be missing something. Thanks.

check on gnttype.org

most of the frere mods are in there

Somewhere I have a Ken Dutweiller(sp?) parts catalog pre 1991 that states as follows; Stock '87 GN 231 @16 #'s boost dyno'ed 301 horsepower and 391 pounds/feet of torque.

HellOnWheels

When my car was at 29000 original miles(it only has 33000 now) I had it dynoed. The car was Completely Stock. Absolutely 0 Mods none! Still had the original fuel and air filters, spark plugs and wires too! Fully stock exhaust including Cat. Non adjustable wastegate,chip, injectors etc..etc...
Car made 242WHP@4300rpm and 375Ftlbs@2000rpm. Using 93 octane gas.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
Kinda makes you wonder how could a 245 net horsepower rated 3600 lb BRICK run high 13's, low 14's at near 100 mph in showroom stock form??? easy...it was UNDER rated! the reason was because of the Corvette...but the bone stock 86/87 GNs probably had nearly 300 horsepower at the flywheel and around 245 or so at the rear wheels...add some free mods and cheap mods and you got yourself 400 horsepower to the wheels without breaking a sweat!

Torque is why they run 13's to 14's plus turbo buicks out 60ft. 100% of vehicles and still do today. They are not under rated, I
saw stock cars dyno only 200 rear wheel hp and still run fast.
I have a stock 87 turbo t thats going to the dyno in spring and again in the fall after some mods. For cars that had the same drivetrain they sure run different.

GOING TO DYNO MINE ON PUMP GAS THIS COMING FRIDAY, WISH ME LUCK. IT IS STOCK SHORTBLOCK EXCEPT THE CAM ANY GUESSES WHAT IT WILL DO? MIGHT SNEAK SOME RACE GAS IN WE WILL SEE.

Stock 84 GN 179HP@3800rpm
Stock 87 GN 232HP@3950rpm
Stock 87 GNX 258HP@4140rpm

93 octane
70 degrees fahrenheit
rear wheel horsepower

Originally posted by LikeMy6

Car made 242WHP@4300rpm and 375Ftlbs@2000rpm.

Just curious as to how you got dyno numbers at 2000rpm?
I'm going this spring to dyno mine and would love to see dyno info at that low of an rpm! :D

dyno

I had my all stock 87 gn with 32k miles and no mods even had 16 year old plugs and wires and stock ac delco airfilter done last summer 227hp and 355 at the wheels.