anyone done this?

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
install rod and main bearings while engine is still in car? can it be done?clearance issues for oil pan or torquing the mains?
i know,im lazy,looking for a "easy"way out....:mad: on the 86 junk yard dog gn....assuming no spun bearings...i checked them,looked ok and were standard original...didnt drive it 40 miles before a knock was heard...

I know you can get the oil pan out while the engine is in the car. You have to jack up the engine about a 1/4-1/2" from the tranny and in order for it to clear to oil pick up then it just slides out. Same thing to put it back in.

I know you can get the oil pan out while the engine is in the car. You have to jack up the engine about a 1/4-1/2" from the tranny and in order for it to clear to oil pick up then it just slides out. Same thing to put it back in.

thanks,my first engine swap= fail...

Bearings just don't go bad. There is usually some other cause. You will save money in the long run if you go ahead and pull the engine and find out what really went wrong.

There was alot of gas in the oil from bad maf,bad gas....figured that was the cause?? i changed the oil,but not soon enough.

There was alot of gas in the oil from bad maf,bad gas....figured that was the cause?? i changed the oil,but not soon enough.

There was no oil psi gauge in tehcar so you dont know what it was driving down the road.

Just because you can prime a motor through the cam sensor hole and see oil to the top end of the engine doesnt mean that the bearings and everything else in the lube circuits/recip assem/block/etc is working/spaced correctly while in motion.

Gary IMO ...Pull IT

Sorry to be the pessimist but the problem will be what besides rod or main bearings is gone. The oil pump, cam and cam bearings among other parts could also be damaged. I still say you will be better off pulling the engine.

For the answer to the question you asked....
Yes you can put rods and mains In without pulling engine..
Its not to bad of a job helps to take motor mount bolts out and raise the engine a couple inches