Anyone changed to windshield antenna?

breiter

Coolboost
I had my windshield replaced with one that has the antenna in the glass. I drilled a hole and routed the short antenna wire from the windshield to drop in behind the dash. I plan to have the antenna hole on the fender patched and painted. I am sure someone has done this before. My challenge is getting to the little antenna pig-tail behind the dash so I can plug in an extension to my radio. Thoughts? Ideas? thanks

Have a windshield with an antenna in the elky, with a '84 GN dash, didn't notice having to drill anything when I put the dash in it. Antenna seems to work good for FM, haven't tried AM.

thanks for the info - for me, the windsheild had a 8" pig-tail and the glass shop called me to come over because there was no provision on the GN firewall or cowl for the pig-tail to go through. I had them install the window and routed the pig-tail through a hole under the plate that is under the wipers. No big deal. I will figure out something. Just curious if anybody else had experienced this.

MY ELKY also came with the window antenna. On the firewall, there is a place the window plugs in, then on the other side/cabin side/ an antenna female comes off the wall for the radio. To install it correct, I would imagine you could find one at the junk yard. I believe it bolts to the firewall. Male on the firewall side, female plug wire coming off the inside firewall. I too dont like the antenna on the fender.

Good suggestion. It makes sense that there is some type of connector for this. I will try to locate the part. thanks

what car is a windshield donor for this?
i've always likes the windshield antennas in older GM cars and trucks- they seem to work better for me than the fender mounted ones.

81-87 regal windshield with antenna - nothing special and readily available.

I've got one on my 82 455 Regal. Yep it's easier if you have the correct cable that mounts to the cabin side of the cowl. It's going to be easier to drill the hole(s) if the glass isn't there. I wouldn't be surprised if GM didn't stamp some dimples on the cowl/firewall panel to show you where to drill them. Did you ever notice all of the dimples on the engine side of the firewall?

when i do put in a new windshield, i was planning on putting on one with the window antenae. my power antena still works, miraculously.......

was the windshield antenna an option or something? i think every G body i've ever looked at has had an antenna cluttering up the fender.

Same here. I never knew the G body Regals ever had the "dipole" style antenna. I always thought the dipole in windshield antennas were used on older Chevelles and Novas.

I drilled a hole and ran the pig-tail through where it appeared to be the factory spot. I imagine there is a bulk head type fitting that the antenna pig-tail would connect to so replacement windshields can just be plugged into it. The windshield I had installed was for 81-87 Regal but was not the replacement model for the GN. The glass is the same so I used it. Thanks for all the replies. I am good from here. The painter gets the car next week as soon as a buddy of mine who works for a stereo shop finishes installing my system (and antenna!). I had a roll cage installed and the tubes didn't quite clear the rear speakers so there will have to be some minor tweaking to get them back in.

My 81 regal had one. I too want to do this for my 87 but would like to know exactly where the hole was from the factory for this option. Anyone?

My 81 regal had one. I too want to do this for my 87 but would like to know exactly where the hole was from the factory for this option. Anyone?

i'm sure there is some kinds of "pilot" indentions in the firewall, right in the middle of the window, well, under the window. May be covered up by seam sealer though.

I also went from fender antenna to windshield antenna on the Chevelle.
If you look in the Chevelle books or call the big A-body restoration parts suppliers they should have the part.
It looks like an oval with one screw in each end and in the middle is the connection for the windshield and on the reverse side (interior of the car) it has the wire that connects directly to the Radio. It even comes with a piece of foam so that water won't make its way in to the car thru it.

There is a flat spot or boss for a factory windshield antenna (so I assumed). After the new windshield was installed I took the cowl off (cover under the wipers) and drilled a hole through the firewall, ran pig tail through and then used silicon to seal the hole. I understand they make a bulk head fitting where it would allow the windshield antenna pig tail connect and on the other side, under the dash, a cable plug into it going to the radio. Trying to get to the connector under the inside of the dash I thought was going to be a pain so I did not use the bulk head fitting. The pigtail ended up hanging down behind the upper left of the glove box. I connected the antenna pigtail to the radio using a short cable. I am sure there is a better way but this worked for me.

There is a flat spot or boss for a factory windshield antenna (so I assumed). After the new windshield was installed I took the cowl off (cover under the wipers) and drilled a hole through the firewall, ran pig tail through and then used silicon to seal the hole. I understand they make a bulk head fitting where it would allow the windshield antenna pig tail connect and on the other side, under the dash, a cable plug into it going to the radio. Trying to get to the connector under the inside of the dash I thought was going to be a pain so I did not use the bulk head fitting. The pigtail ended up hanging down behind the upper left of the glove box. I connected the antenna pigtail to the radio using a short cable. I am sure there is a better way but this worked for me.

I did it the same way.
Then I undid it when I found the correct part. Either way you shouldn't have a problem with your install.