Anybody trim the stock rear springs??

fatride

Has anybody cut down the stock rear springs? If so what is the best way to do it? Would like to loose an 1" to 2"
Thanks in advance:)

Do NOT, I repeat Do NOT heat them, you will destory the spring rates...now that said was a zawzal, or cutoof wheel, or something of that sort.

So was that a yes to cutting it? Or no, do not do it at all:confused: If I loose one coil does anyone know about how many inches it would be?

Cutting it would be fine, just don't cut it with a torch...depends, but one coil is probably an inch or so.

The stock rear springs are pigtailed on both ends so no you can not cut them. If you want to experiment get a set of springs from a 3rd gen F-body. The tops aren't pigtailed and these are easy to cut with a chop saw or cut off wheel. Just make sure you use the upper rubber mount.

Eric Fisher

say wa?? That's new to me...Well come to think about it I guess so because of the spring perch on the rear axle...Good catch turbofish.

Stock springs are pigtailed on both ends. I use the 3rd generation F-body springs I got in the junkyard. Pigtailed on the bottom only. They work good and leave more room for tailpipes, etc., plus will lower your car 1" to 2" in the rear. I used a thicker rubber spacer/ insulator on one side to even up my car's stance.

The Camaro ones are only about a quarter inch thick. I got some from an 80s Mustang rear springs. They are hard rubber, the same diameter as the camaro, and about an inch thick. Any old 80s Mustang will do. ;)

I haven't cut mine yet.

I got my upper rubber mounts from an f-body at the junkyard.

If you do cut them, use a thin cutting wheel, as it will produce less heat.

Can't I just cut one end of the stock springs? Use the pig tail end on the rear end, flat part or cut end on the top??:confused:

I plan on cutting just the top. I don't think you can cut the bottoms as the pig tail needs to stay close to the cup that holds it in place on the axle.

Originally posted by fatride
Can't I just cut one end of the stock springs? Use the pig tail end on the rear end, flat part or cut end on the top??:confused:

You've been advised.........do what you want.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
The Camaro ones are only about a quarter inch thick. I got some from an 80s Mustang rear springs. They are hard rubber, the same diameter as the camaro, and about an inch thick. Any old 80s Mustang will do. ;)

Part number 10290379 is the later thicker replacement more commonly used on the 4th gen F-body. It is about 1" thick and has a groove molded in it for the coil end. Dont use the older thin insulator. One tip, install the spring with the thick insulator so you can see how high it sets. Settle the car a few times by jacking it up and dropping it down on its suspension a few times(just like you see the guys do on a Nascar pit stop). It only takes about 1/4 to 1/2 of a coil cut to lower it 1". Always cut the coil on the top part and use a cut off saw, no blue wrench. You may have to pull the spring out 3 or 4 times but if you do this right you will pleased with the results.

Good info on the insulator. I need one. Driver side is 3/4" higher than passenger side. Cheaper than a new set of springs. Thanks.

I had that lopsided problem. I used the 1" thick insulator, the one I got off a mustang, with the 1/4" stocker on one side and just the 1/4" on the other. Now, the car sits even. ;)