Anybody run a E55 AMG yet?

Ive driven the Jaguar XJR (supercharged, 390 hp, 4 door) and according to road and track that is faster than the AMG. My mom bought the XKR (2 door, 390, lighter). I killed a Cutty, Firehawk, and GT 5.0 with it around town. Idea, my GN vs. XKR. I was in the XKR and my buddy was in the GN. The GN stayed at the rear quarter of the Jag. I was so happy my $12,000 car ran with a $90,000 Jag. 18 psi in the buick, many mods since then. Dont be too scared.

Nick

I picked up my e55 about a month ago and im very happy with the purchase.From a roll,I could see it easily hanging with a stock 600.

I went to the track Sunday and hot lapped the car to 12.3's@115 launching off idle.

Those saying "but its a $100k car" youre right,it is expensive but worth every penny.

The new gen E55's are sweet. Yeah it is 80k, but you get soo much luxury items that you don't need and come to love. It is a great looking car too.

broke1, can you post up some pictures of your german beast.

Nick

the bad thing is the e55's aren't the fastest ones. the amg cl65 is. twin turbo v12, makes 612 hp, 723 ft/lb. i didn't see a price when i was looking at it but i'm sure its far from cheap. it looks pretty cool, 2 door a little sleeker looking than the e55.

but do you think is was possible you ran into an slr? its HIGHLY unlikely to see one on he street but they probably would hand a bike its ass. I think they have amg badges also. I'd be shocked to find out thats what is was though.

Who resurrected this from the dead? I have learned a great deal about the AMGs since 2003, when the incident happened. I just want to forget about it :frown:

denn454 said:
the bad thing is the e55's aren't the fastest ones. the amg cl65 is. twin turbo v12, makes 612 hp, 723 ft/lb. i didn't see a price when i was looking at it but i'm sure its far from cheap. it looks pretty cool, 2 door a little sleeker looking than the e55.

but do you think is was possible you ran into an slr? its HIGHLY unlikely to see one on he street but they probably would hand a bike its ass. I think they have amg badges also. I'd be shocked to find out thats what is was though.
Considering that this thread is over two years old. The SLR wasn't even out. The CL65 is $185,000 and slower than the CL55 under 100mph. Traction becomes too much of a factor with 723ft/lbs.

Nick

Well how do you guys think I will fair against a 2005 E55 AMG with chip, pulley and I believe a few other things, I believe he says that it is a low 12s car. I have a PT54 with the PAC kit and alot of other stuff. I think from a dig I will win but he might stomp me from a roll, maybe. what do you guys think?

No shame in that loss.

There is no shame in that loss for one reason only---u were on the street. Now if u were at the track I would be looking like this guy :eek: . My fastest pass ever was on a bike and I also saw a guy fall right next to me at Byron raceway at around 130mph in a money race. Never want to see that again...safe riding have fun.

Yea th R, should have spanked it if driven right :confused: It would take 700 rwhp+ to run with it, somethings wrong :confused:

We have an 00 E55, and an 04 E55. The 00 isnt that fast, like an M3... the 04 E55 is bada$$! I cant imagine a GN hangin with the car from 70-170...it'd take ALOT of work....not to mention the normal 0-100 is fast...VERY fast. Its the ultimate sedan, I used to think the M5 was it...used to...after being in both, its obvious. E55 is the ultimate driving machine.

wow, i didn't realize how old this post was, i found it on the first page of this section and figured it was fairly new. In that case i believe the cl65 would not have been out either.

either way they are still awesome cars, if i had the money i'd take one, unfortunatly i can't afford a geo metro right now... i don't think i'm even at a 1970 vespa level financially.

Renntech Schmentech - Then there's the Kleeman CLS V12 Bi-Turbo - 712 bhp, 697 lb/ft torque, 12-piston calipers in the front, 6-piston calipers in the rear, a goliath with speed and mind bending handling. :eek:

I'm sure that given the $1XXK, the GN could be a contender :D :D

My friend had a CL55 and now owns a CL65. My GN had no problem with the 55. Haven't raced the 65 yet. I have a race set up with a SLR as soon as my car gets out of the bodyshop. My friend ran the SLR with his 55 a while back and I got a call from him that night that judging by the way the SLR pulled on him (about 5 cars) he thinks my GN will have no problem with it. That will be a video race for sure.

I do have to say that after getting used to the CL cars, the E-class seems cheap. Total luxory and 11 second 1/4 miles makes me want to sell the GN as a down payment.

Definatly get that on video. :cool:
If your car is in the 12's trapping at 110mph I think that your going to be in deep poo. The CL65's are in teh low 12's/high 11's and the SLR will whoop on the 65. Twin turbo V12 Benz's from a roll are very deadly.

Nick

Nah, my car was trapping 110mph with the stock motor and a little TA49 like 4 years ago. Haven't been to the track in a while.

It sounds crazy but I think the 65 has a chance against the SLR. Granted the SLR is stock and the 65 is a Renntech car with a reflashed computer, exhaust, and more boost. There's only one way to find out and I'm pretty sure I'll beat the SLR. Remember, it only put 5 or so cars on the CL55 and I beat that car considerably worse. I've known the guy with the SLR since highschool. I beat his then new Corvette with my GN. I later beat his Ferrari with my GN. Now that he has the SLR, he approached me about a race. It's all in good fun and what do I have to lose?

what do these people do for a living to be able to afford those toys?

i can see the $80k for an e55.

the $185 for the cl65 is someting i couldn't immagine. thats easly half a house right there. (i'd rater have it than a half a house though)

and whats an slr running? i knot its made by mclared and outperforms their f1. and it rang up just under 1 million, so the slr must be close to that.

I really can't fathom those kind of dollar figures. I'm looking at a 99 z28 right now and i'm wondering how i'm going to pay the $7,000 for it.

whats their secret?

denn454 said:
what do these people do for a living to be able to afford those toys?

whats their secret?

*****College education, advanced degree. Probably a physician in group practice, lawyer, accountant, or investment banker. Starting salary here at a bigger law firm is 100k after passing the Bar, after 5-10 years 250-450k. Physicians in group practice, depending upon specialty, 200k-1million. A PHd in a bigger biotech company, starting salary is now 150k-250k depending upon where they did their post-doc work, and how many publications they have had, etc.. People with degrees in marketable areas make a lot of money - as they should - they had to delay getting into the workforce many years to acquire their skills. Very few people can do this (I read in Newsweek that only 25% of our population has a college degree in the US).

Occasionally you see someone with no college degree in a field like sales (real estate or whatever), or someone with a successful small business, but it's VERY much the exception. Look at the highest paying jobs from the Dept of Labor stats - the top 12 or so all require college degrees just for entry into the field to compete with others.

Everybody wants to live a certain lifestyle, have the big house, nice cars, etc.. but it takes skills that very few have, or can develop, to actually make it happen, otherwise everybody would do it.

It's just the way it is.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD