Anybody know about shipping overseas??

gn85

You've gotta try this!
Well, it looks like my time in Germany is winding down and gn85girl and I are looking to come back to the states. We've started working on things that we're going to be bringing back with us and things we're going to sell.

Even with the large amount of furniture that we're going to sell, there's still going to be more stuff to bring back to the states then what will fit in a suitcase. I'm interested in perhaps sending a crate by way of boat. Of course, I could use UPS, but I'm sure I'd pay plenty.

Is anyone aware of a good transatlantic shipping company that they would recommend? Of course, reasonable prices would be nice.

The good news is, I'm near a few major shipping ports here in Europe (Hamburg, Amsterdam, and a few others.) Also, I'm near the Baltimore shipping terminal on the U.S. end. So literally going to and from the boat wouldn't be a problem.

My Mom shipped back stuff from ITALY in a Cargo box.

Make sure you are dealing with a reputable company.
Here is what could go wrong & did for my mom.

She did not take photos, She specified PORT OF BOSTON.
It went to JERSEY & was raped by the DOCK workers / Custom agents. Missing stuff & most Everything was re packed like crap/broken & finally sent to Boston.

When it arrived in Beantown the dock workers union folks wanted thier PALMS GREASED in order to open the crate which was to big to fit in my dads suburban.

SELL EVERYTHING in Germany & start new..
or pack up small boxes of stuff & send UPS.

Just my 2 cents

Originally posted by gn85
Well, it looks like my time in Germany is winding down and gn85girl and I are looking to come back to the states. We've started working on things that we're going to be bringing back with us and things we're going to sell.

Even with the large amount of furniture that we're going to sell, there's still going to be more stuff to bring back to the states then what will fit in a suitcase. I'm interested in perhaps sending a crate by way of boat. Of course, I could use UPS, but I'm sure I'd pay plenty.

Is anyone aware of a good transatlantic shipping company that they would recommend? Of course, reasonable prices would be nice.

The good news is, I'm near a few major shipping ports here in Europe (Hamburg, Amsterdam, and a few others.) Also, I'm near the Baltimore shipping terminal on the U.S. end. So literally going to and from the boat wouldn't be a problem.

I use to run ODC international, a portion in ups that ships packages over seas. I would suggest using ups, b/c it will more than likely be flown to the US. It will have to go through customs, but I dont think they will tear your ish up. I suggest them, especially if you have someone in these states to receive your items. Oh yeah, cant go wrong with a picture like mentioned above.
Charles

Thanks for all the replys and the bump.

-- littlesixsteve --
Thanks for the horror story. I definately will be getting pictures of everything before it is sent. Trust me, we're trying to sell EVERYTHING we can get away with. But in the event things need to be shipped back, I want to know now what's the best way. Obviously what you had was not. When I start researching them by name, I'll post and ask if anyone has had dealings with these companys. Perhaps also search the net for good or bad experiences.

-- charleslong --

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not concerned with customs, but obviously, I don't want my things to be torn up, or worse yet stolen. I am, however, concerned about the cost with shipping by UPS. Originally, I was not even going to look at their rates, but since you suggested that, I will give them a call and find out what price I might be looking at. I have someone to pick up the cargo on the other end, so that's not a problem. I'm not entirely sure yet how large my cargo will be either.

One question, do you know if they will charge me by the size of the cargo, the weight or a combination of the two. I'm sure both if by air, but by surface as well?

--jy211--

Thanks, I will call some places around here, but I'll be honest, I don't trust companies here too much.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. Please keep 'em coming.

You would be best to sail over on the same ship your stuff goes on. :)
Some cargo ships do take a small passenger base.
or
Take the QE2 from England to NYC with your stuff in tow.
This will be expensive 1 way trip per 2 people. But traveling
5 days over the Atlantic is an experience.

I did it with my Mom back in the 60's. NYC to Naples Italy & back.
IT WAS COOL! :) :cool:

Thank you guys for your replies so far. I really got very attached to a lot of our stuff. I really hope that we will be able to ship most of our important stuff for a resonable price and not have to sell all of it. :(