Anybody Belong To A Home Owners Assc. They $uck !!

GN ERGY

I'm in the process of buying a home in Gilbert AZ. and found out a couple of things about the HOA there. You can have an RV ( recreational vehicle ) gate to put your RV in next to your home, BUT the rules of this one is it not allowed to be seen over the top of your fence, which is only allowed to be 6 ft. tall :confused: Any of you own an RV shorter than 6 ft. tall :confused: And in your driveway you can't have any vehicle taller than 75 inches high at the roof. I own a Suburban with 8 inches of lift and 35 inch BFGs and a Chevy pickup with 14 inches of lift with 44s on it which are kind of old so I was going to replace them with 40s or 42s.
I put down $1500. when I made the offer and hope I can get it back, cause I'm not living in the Stepford wives neighborhood. You also can't park a car on the street overnight and the cars in your driveway can't block the sidewalk. What kind of IDIOT made up these rules. What a EFFIN neighborhood this is :mad:
Looks like I'll be house hunting again :(
Just venting, cause I really liked this house too. :(
Tarey D.

Sounds like they had you in mind when they made the rules. ;)

Housing associations suck unless you are the President with a lot of votes behind you. :)

Sorry to say, but folks like you and I need to live outside a subdivision like this one to be happy. This is pretty much standard stuff all across the country in newer subdivisions, and even some older ones.

Fact of the matter is that property values would plummet in those neighborhoods if everyone had yards and driveways full of trucks and motorhomes. You know the rules before you move in, you won't go, and the people who don't want a house with vehicles all over the property get their way. It may bother you at the moment, but it's best that you don't live there. Guaranteed problems with the neighbors down the road if you did.

I live in an older neighborhood that will allow me to park my RV in the backyard, provided I make a driveway, paved, or gravel, for it to sit on. My next door neighbor began stockpiling cars right after I moved in and as of last fall had 14 junk cars all over his property. It makes me mad because it will affect the value of my home when I decide to have the house appraised. Trust me, those rules are to the benefit of those who live there. Those same rules would have protected your property values if you lived there too.

uuummm Tarey, you "may" be in for a surprise here in sunny AZ.......if you are buying in a new area, they all have the same rules and regs

if you wanna park RV's, trucks etc on your property, you will need to be in an older area or have lots of property

good luck in your search! (many of the older areas have no such restrictions)

They sell new homes with RV gates and then they tell you whatever you park there can't stick over the top of the 6 ft. gate. Who the (F) _ UCK made that rule, RVs aren't volkswagen beetles. A lot of the new trucks and SUVs are taller than 6 ft 3 inches. My trucks aren't pieces of ****, My Suburban is my daily driver, it's clean with chrome wheels and bigger tires. I bet the Hummers are taller than 75 inches and at 50 grand they are gonna tell you that you can't park that in YOUR driveway.
I'm just glad I haven't signed any final papers. :)
Tarey D.

I just bought a new home in Phoenix. I have no HOA, sidewalks or streetlights. But I do have horses, roosters, donkeys for neighbors. My lot has two Rv gates and is 192 feet long. Lots of room for cars cars, boats and RV's, Take your time and you can get whatever you desire.

Sounds like there is a loophole there. You haven't said you can't have a carport for the RV inside the 6' privacy fence with sides on it. And the other rule is for the driveway; if you can get them inside, you're all set. Perhaps you've already realized you can't.

The HOA does not have any control of city/county right of way. That is unless there is specific law in AZ or this is a gated community.They tried that one with me.:(

It depends on your point of view, Some Home owners Assc are good..We have a big investment in our home and property,I don't want someone moving next door and parking a semi in the front,or jacking up old cars in their front yard. The reason for HOA is to keep property values stable and uniform property matainance..
I do agree that some good intentions get messed up in practice.
My advice is read all the restriction of a HOA before making an offer for a home....

Does the HOA say you can't raise hogs?

I know this guy who was given crap by his HOA for his boat being in front of his house. He hired a lawyer who couldn't find any part of the agreement that said he couldn't raise hogs in his front yard. Current county laws where he lived had no restriction, and so the threat was made, if he couldn't have his boat he would just raise pigs :) Now they don't have a problem with boats, trailers or lifted trucks. Many of these "laws" can be pushed very hard. A local HOA states you can't have any cars in the driveway and none on the street. With 6 bedrooms and a two car garage, it looks like the kids must move out at 16. Good Luck!! Does it say any thing about car alarms, barking dogs, home alarms, pigs or other livestock of choice, loud exhaust, a car that smokes alot, loud music? It is legal for you to roast tires in your own driveway!! Yes they tried to stop me on that one:)

I was once given crap by the city for having the front clip of an 88 fiero gt in my front yard (yea it was kinda redneck). The guy from the city came out to issue a fine, we simply made it into a picnic table with chairs around it and one of those funny looking table cloths. He walked away.

I had my trailer out on the driveway on the side of my house while loading it to go to a race (almost invisible from the street) I left it out overnight and the next day there was a note in my mail box with a photocopied page of the covenance with "No trailers to be parked on driveway, blah, blah" highlighted in yellow.

So I pulled it out on the street in front of my house. F - them :) nothing in the covenance about parking a trailer in the street.

Usually the HOA police is a guy with nothing to do and/or is trying to sell his house. Thank goodness our A-hole's house sold and he's gone.

I have the best of both worlds. My hosue sits on the border of subdivision that has a strong HOA. I'm not a member and don't have to abide by the rules while the rest of the community does. :D Lucky for them I'm a good neighbor. Then again, I do have a parts GN sitting in the backyard. :D Soon, that will be in the garage I'm building.

Tall fences are the best to keep prying eyes out!

I lived in a condo house. The association wanted copies of our keys! NO WAY! I gave them a dummy set.

STUPID RULES: My uncle has a vacation house that requires a percentage of grass, light that comes on at 5pm until 9:30.
I am sure other stupid stuff.

I would find another joint.

I salute them for keeping hillbillies like you out.

Look at it this way - you'd just make each other miserable.

Guys like you belong living on a bombing range.

:D

Hill Billies

Has anyone ever thought to have a hillbillies association. That way they could all live together in peace and harmony and be proud of the site of each others junk car collection in their front yards. :D

Hillbilly owners association

Mowing... optional

Toilet with flowers growing out of it in front lawn... manditory

Coon Dogs.... Manditory

Whittlin' on the porch... manditory on tuesdays

feuding..... only on days that end in Y

square dancing.......different barn each night WOO HOO

Strikeeagle, Go 'F' yourself. I'm no hillbilly by any means. I like lifted trucks. You have been listening to TOO much Jeff Foxworthy. I guess you are the Archie Bunker of TB.com. I've pulled many people out of the medium on the freeway during the winter and only charged them 5 bucks. My vehicles are always in tip top shape.
I spoke with the head of the HOA and they said that they have never given out a warning for any tall vehicles. That helps cause Girlfriends face has looked like this :mad: since I told her about how strict they are.
My Girlfriend wants to plant a couple palm trees and is worried that they won't let her. :confused:
Tarey D.

That's some mouth on you Tarey, but I'll ignore it, 'cause I was J/K, and I guess you didn't get it.

In the future maybe you can give folks the benefit of the doubt. After all, now and then, they just might be ribbing you...

I'm all for a good set of rules in my neighborhood. I hate it when some people at the entrance have an RV parked on the road, blocking people entering. There's no room for people to be parking on the street and you aren't supposed to have a boat out.

However...
The catch is using judgement. Overnight for any of the above is no big deal. People need room to live and make transitions. My HOA pres. wants me to take over the job. Might just do it, but they'd all have to give in to my notions of fair play. Just because someone gets their panties in a wad over a boat out for a couple of days doesn't mean I'm playing the bad guy. A week or so and I think that's valid. What you do DOES affect your neigbors when you all have 1/2 acre lots and live very close together. So, you DO need a set of rules. I wouldn't want to look out the east side of my backyard just to see the side of an RV overlooking my yard. It would detract. Those are easy rules to live by and they're designed to protect everyone's home values. Don't like it, move out where there are no HOA's. Most older neighborhoods let them go after 15-20 years, or live out where you have room to do what you want.

Just my .02