any way around rim screws?

Sleeper1987

3.8L of Fun!
marked my tires today there 325/50/15 m/t radials and they are turning about 4" on a light launch on the right and 6" or so on the driver any way to get around rim screws? i didnt really want to drill these wheels but i will if i have to.

I would buy different set of rims to drill into if you still drive the car on the street.

Wish my wheels needed screws :biggrin:

greg lott said:
I would buy different set of rims to drill into if you still drive the car on the street.

Wish my wheels needed screws :biggrin:

Yeah these are my other set i run prostars on the street , there old slot mags but in real nice shape just hate to drill them.

lol, in all reality mine is to slow to need them but i marked the tires out of curiosity and i cant get it to 60 ft for anything just fishing for problems at this point.

I'd try some of the goop that the tire shops use on corroded rims to get a good seal, before I drilled them. It's a kind of glue. Might just be enough to stop them from moving on the rims ;) .

Bead sealer alone on mine would not hold, had to use screws. They still hold air without tubes. And no, you should not use screws on one side of the wheel alone.

You are running to LOW of tire pressure, that is why they are rotating on the rim. Try adding some air, you will notice your MPH will come up to. Add enough air to where the tire will hook and the tire will not spin on the rim. Hope this helps. :cool:

How wide is the rim, and what is your tire pressure?

I know hoosiers dont need rim screws, but thats not a alternative to your solution.

Post up

BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
How wide is the rim, and what is your tire pressure?

I know hoosiers dont need rim screws, but thats not a alternative to your solution.

Post up

BW

9" 14psi any higher and it spins worse.

3M weatherstripping adhesive has worked great for me. i have been using it for about 3 years and neither my dr's nor my slicks budge. make sure to clean the rim and the tire bead with acetone first

disco stu said:
Bead sealer alone on mine would not hold, had to use screws. They still hold air without tubes. And no, you should not use screws on one side of the wheel alone.

Do you think you can use screws on one side if you don't really need them? My 'track' rims came drilled for rim screws. I'm reasonably sure that I don't need them with the MT drag radials but I installed the screws on the outside of the rim to make them look better.

Jim

SWOOOSH said:
what are your 60' times? i cant see them spinning unless your rims are corroded bad. ;)

1.90-1.95 wheels are like new in the bead area no pitting/corrosion/damage.

i would try to find a tire place that has the black tire glue for the beeds to seal. i just cant see them slipping with a 1.90 60' time. but with these cars anything is possible. good luck :biggrin:

SWOOOSH said:
i would try to find a tire place that has the black tire glue for the beeds to seal. i just cant see them slipping with a 1.90 60' time. but with these cars anything is possible. good luck :biggrin:

I couldnt either, but the car bites hard at the initial hit then starts to spin,its street manners are about the same.

DR BOOST said:
3M weatherstripping adhesive has worked great for me. i have been using it for about 3 years and neither my dr's nor my slicks budge. make sure to clean the rim and the tire bead with acetone first

wow, I learned something new.. ;-) thanks for sharing that valuable tip, Dr. Boost!

believe it or not but dish soap works wonders also. ;) no BS!!!

PS: don't use cheap lowes screws, use real rim screw. you can shear off cheap screws.

Turbo Indian

Any dish soap? Are there any that are known to work better than others? What about Simple Green? I'm getting ready to put MT DRs on the GN soon and don't wan't the look of screws. Good info here.

Mike

TurboIndian said:
believe it or not but dish soap works wonders also. ;) no BS!!!

PS: don't use cheap lowes screws, use real rim screw. you can shear off cheap screws.

I mounted them with dishsoap made much easier to mount them:( , yeah i seen were the moroso and such are grade 8 bolts.