Any Trailblazer SS Owners Out There?

Bob Smith

I need to start looking for something newer to drive and thought a TBSS might be a good option. Has anyone owned one? I'm looking for some pros & cons of owning one.

We bought a used 06 2WD alittle over a month ago with 37,000 miles. Pros: awesome power/ torque with the LS2, handles great for an SUV, strong brakes, tows well, nice package, insures cheaply. Cons: gas mileage (you don't buy these for gas mileage- about 16 combined city/ highway MPG), have heard trans breakage can occur once you start modding (ours is stock). Factory warranty is better on the 07-09. If you buy an 06, purchase the extended powertrain warranty through GM. It's a sleeper which I like. Most are optioned out quite well with leather, power sunroof, DVD, navi, etc. Might be best to find a well cared stocker since the modded cars may have harder miles on them. 09's are rare too as the production line ended in December 08. If you test drive one, you will buy it!! :smile:

Bob,
I was one of the engineers that worked on the program… I worked on the Front and Rear Fascias along with the Front Grille and several other parts….the vehicle is awesome….I highly recommend it …..the power is awesome and the look of the vehicle along with fit and finish are better then any previous Trailblazer built…The only negatives are gas mileage and the trailer harness needs to loop under the rear fascia in order to hook it up… again it is a awesome ride…and very fun to drive….it is also hard to keep your foot off the gas peddle…:biggrin:

Attachments

• TBSS.jpg
    TBSS.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 2,642
Bob,
I was one of the engineers that worked on the program… I worked on the Front and Rear Fascias along with the Front Grille and several other parts….the vehicle is awesome….I highly recommend it …..the power is awesome and the look of the vehicle along with fit and finish are better then any previous Trailblazer built…The only negatives are gas mileage and the trailer harness needs to loop under the rear fascia in order to hook it up… again it is a awesome ride…and very fun to drive….it is also hard to keep your foot off the gas peddle…:biggrin:
:cool: I didn't know you were on that project. Very cool.

I had an AWD 06 TBSS. Loooved it. They are a blast to drive. I did, however, end up preferring the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 over the SS. Here is a quick comparison of the two.

In stock form or close to it (CAI, programmer, exhaust, etc), the Jeep will kick a Trailblazer SS in the ass every time. I ran a best of 14.2 @ 95 in the SS. A year later, in virtually identical track/weather conditions at the same drag strip, I ran 13.2's in the Jeep.

Now, that said, the aftermarket is much more broad for the SS, although more and more stuff is coming out for a Jeep.

The SS is cool because you can get RWD or AWD, as well as a more "base model" vehicle with cloth interior and fewer options. The Jeep comes hard loaded with pretty much everything.

The Jeep will cost ya more, but IMO it's well worth it.

If towing is something you will be doing, the SS is more suited for that from the factory. However, the Jeep can tow. I do frequently. You have to get a little creative with the wiring harness, but there is a factory Jeep harness that is plug & play.

If rarity is your thing, the Jeep wins again. I see TBSSs almost daily, and usually more than a few a day. I can count on both hands how many other SRTs I have seen on the road over the last 5 years and I drive all over the country.

Well, there is my not so short answer. Not sure if you even give a damn about Jeep info or not.

Either way, you won't be disappointed. I loved my SS. They are a LOT of fun and look and drive GREAT! :cool:

I have an 06 2wd and can't get enough of it. Very quick SUV, looks good and you can tow with it. Can't go wrong with the SS.

FWIW back when it had less than 3k miles on it, took it to the track and ran 13.90 @ 100 mph. The 2wd is qicker than the AWD.

I met nice guy in Osceola named frank that had one and loves it. The 06' rear seat done NOT have the suede insert if it matters to you. I wasn't aware of the warranty difference for the 07-08s. Could someone elaborate a bit more on this? Last time I was at a buick meet in Osceola a TBSS was towing a GN with no problem!:cool:
I think I will try to grab one when the price comes down a bit more...Im Cheap:p

We had one on our used car lot and it lasted almost two weeks. ;) A guy from Tennessee wired us the money, jumped on a plane and drove it home. Very quick SUV that you do not see everywhere. YOU WILL LOVE IT !!!!!!!

Have two 2006's one black... loaded and the other White , grey cloth seats .......enough said ...good in NYs rain and snow ( Both AWD) gas milage is like 12MPG driving like a maniac.

Have had my 2008 for about a year. Great truck! One of the most comfortable trucks I have been in....not too bid or too small. Mine is 100% stock and I feel its more than enough power for a daily driver. AWD is fantastic in the snow and rain.

I looked at the Jeep SRT's however hated you could not tow with it and the inside felt very tight.

Attachments

• 1 002.jpg
    1 002.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 3,440
Bought my 2wd silverstone in 2006, great truck. I only had 1 problem with it (ign switch). Has 50k on it now, still tight. I installed headers, exhuast and reprogrammed ecu. I am going to be selling it soon, pm me if you are interested.

Save yourself the embarasssment, and Get the SRT8, Mid 14's in a TBSS can't even beat a New V6 Camry/Honda/Maxima, etc., that All runs low 14's nowaday's....and they get 30 MPG!!!

He asked for opinions on the TB SS, Not a honda, maxima, or camry.:rolleyes:
The SRT-8 is missing the ability to tow and cost more. Im sure he had looked at it and it didnt make the cut.

Jeep must have left the tow hitch off for a reason... Select an SRT jeep and see what the tow ratings are
http://www.jeep.com/en/compcomp/index.html?family=grand_cherokee&model=&year=2009#

TB SS 6600lbs max tow rating AWD...That'll Work:wink:
2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer specs, auto safety at Edmunds

I know they both have the power but paying to add a hitch the hearing the service advisor gripe about it when you want warranty work is not going to be fun. That's like taking the SS in for an engine noise and trying to say its only a 100 shot....

Attachments

• nitrousdavesdirectport.jpg
    nitrousdavesdirectport.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,667
Jeep must have left the tow hitch off for a reason... Select an SRT jeep and see what the tow ratings are
http://www.jeep.com/en/compcomp/index.html?family=grand_cherokee&model=&year=2009#

TB SS 6600lbs max tow rating AWD...That'll Work:wink:
2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer specs, auto safety at Edmunds

I know they both have the power but paying to add a hitch the hearing the service advisor gripe about it when you want warranty work is not going to be fun. That's like taking the SS in for an engine noise and trying to say its only a 100 shot....
Yes. The hitch was left off because the area where a hitch is located on a SRT Jeep is where the exhaust is routed.

I agree fully that the SS can tow MORE. But to say the Jeep can't tow at all is simply not the case. You're good up to 3500# with the Jeep. Adding a hitch (option through Jeep specifically for the SRT, as is a wiring harness) won't cause a warranty problem nor will towing to capacity. If you need more towing capacity, go forth with the SS. :)

Obviously the Jeep SRT 8 pic with the Speedboat was photoshopped ............:D;)

LMAO!!

Yes. The hitch was left off because the area where a hitch is located on a SRT Jeep is where the exhaust is routed.

I agree fully that the SS can tow MORE. But to say the Jeep can't tow at all is simply not the case. You're good up to 3500# with the Jeep. Adding a hitch (option through Jeep specifically for the SRT, as is a wiring harness) won't cause a warranty problem nor will towing to capacity. If you need more towing capacity, go forth with the SS. :)

3500# Will not cover any car and trailer that I know of. Barron, don't get me wrong, I like the Jeep too. If towing was not going to be a need for me I would buy it over the SS since it does have the more aggressive styling, sound, and performance. However, the Trailblazer gets awesome reviews from the guys I have talked to that own them.

My 2008 none SS Trailblazer has 40k on it since new and the only failure was a speaker...i love this truck..looks good size is good and it hauls ass...it will run 90mph all day with NO effort...mpg is 18 and i wish I bought the SS but premium gas is f**kin' expensive and i think the best they get is around 12 mpg///my 2 cents

3500# Will not cover any car and trailer that I know of. Barron, don't get me wrong, I like the Jeep too. If towing was not going to be a need for me I would buy it over the SS since it does have the more aggressive styling, sound, and performance. However, the Trailblazer gets awesome reviews from the guys I have talked to that own them.
3500 might cover a veeeery small car. :D

I do agree, the SS can tow VERY easily. The setup is much cleaner and better for that than the Jeep, hands down.

I loved mine. It was a GREAT vehicle. The only major reason I went to the Jeep is because I leave my daily drivers in mostly stock. Had I been one to tow a lot or go mod crazy, I probably would have kept the SS. It really is a sweet ride. :cool:

Keep it coming guys, I appreciate all the input and don't mind the debates between the SS & SRT. I will be using it to tow & it seems the SS is better suited for that purpose. The Jeep seems like a great vehicle with better performance, but I'm not looking to race or add performance upgrades. I've always been a GM guy too.

Any unusual or costly maintenance issues that I need to be aware of? I understand the transmission can give problems after performance upgrades, but how about if it's left stock?

X-Ray,
That's awsome that you worked on the TBSS project, thanks for your insight.