Any tips for replacing the valve cover gaskets?

GNTurbo6

Asian guy in redneck car
I've got an oil leak and I think it's the valve cover gaskets. I have a whole gasket kit and I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips. I've done the valve cover gasket in my Camry before and I know it's an easy job.

Also, how tight should I torque the bolts?

Disconnect battery because you will hit the back alternator bolt. Get some felpro cork gaskets. Put a bead of yellow glue(weatherstrip adhesive) on valve cover....just enough to hold gasket in place.

Tighten bolts in a crisscross manner. Not sure of tourqe specs I always just snugged them real good. If it still leak in a corner retighten. Very easy job.:smile:

I like to spray some carb cleaner on a rag and clean the surface of the block where the gaskets are going to seat. This eliminates any oil residue that could prevent a good seal. Do not tighten the bolts with two hands, just snug them down. Clean around the valve covers good, so that you can spot any new leaks.

Oh and go ahead and pick up a couple more sets of gaskets.
I pull my valve covers on a frequent basis for various reasons.

Why the cork gaskets and not the felpro black rubber gaskets?

I am also getting ready to do mine. thanks

I have just had great luck and no leaks with cork. I cant speak for anything else.

"When you go to the dance, you dance with who brung ya";)

My experience is that the rubber gaskets have a tendency to slide around and get pushed in or out as they are tightened down; especially if you do not clean/prep the surface of the block and valve cover. The cork gaskets will absorb any trace amount of moisture that is left on the block allowing them to bite.

Get the felpro perma dry (I think that's what they're called) gaskets. They cost about $20 but they don't leak, don't push out, and are reusable. That's what I did. I'm getting ready to install them for the 3rd (pass.) and 4th (driver side) times and I'm not worried about them leaking at all. Plus, I never have to scrape anything. Just take them off, dry everything, put it together.

If you use that Yellow #m stuff mentioned above, hope you never have to remove them again..even one just one side...you'll be scrapping that stuff till all your knuckles are bloody.
I've used the black flepro gaskets without any issues, but I did use a beed of Ultra-black all the way around on the vc side and basically glued the gasket to the cover before installing. Been on there for 3 years without a leak.

If you use that Yellow #m stuff mentioned above, hope you never have to remove them again..even one just one side...you'll be scrapping that stuff till all your knuckles are bloody.
I've used the black flepro gaskets without any issues, but I did use a beed of Ultra-black all the way around on the vc side and basically glued the gasket to the cover before installing. Been on there for 3 years without a leak.

I use the yellow glue but I dont get "crazy" with it. I just put a dab here and there just to hold the gasket in place. I am sorry if I was misunderstood. You are correct sir...you will be scraping that stuff till the cows come home if you put too much on there.

I use the yellow glue but I dont get "crazy" with it. I just put a dab here and there just to hold the gasket in place. I am sorry if I was misunderstood. You are correct sir...you will be scraping that stuff till the cows come home if you put too much on there.
Sorry, I saw you said you put a "bead" of it on and just thought I'd warn someone new doing that :) I use about a "dot" of it here and there to hold things..its like super glue ;)
I remember when I once ran a thick bead of it all the way around some valve covers when I was 16...my brother laughed and laughed when I had to pull them off..I mean jack hammer them off...if I would have had the money back then I would have just went and bought a new set of SBC valve covers :D

i just did mine about 3 months ago and i finally got them to seal with no leaks. i used a cork gasket and used the right stuff and glued them to the valve covers and let them dry over night i then bolted them to the motor. no leaks :)

i wish buick made the head a machined surface for the gasket then they would never leak. my 89 jimmy has machined heads and the same gasket has been on it for 5 years now.

all these posts over valve cover gaskets;)

I like the cork gaskets for everything. oil pan, tranny pan, especially valve covers! I use gaskacinch on everything. goes on thin, seals great, removes easy...

all these posts over valve cover gaskets;)

I like the cork gaskets for everything. oil pan, tranny pan, especially valve covers! I use gaskacinch on everything. goes on thin, seals great, removes easy...

Everything esle has been covered...were bored...what can I say??:D

Here is my o2. I have done this and so far no leaks

remove valve covers.

Clean all mating surfaces.

Wipe all mating surfaces with laquer thinner.

Using a can of "The Right Stuff" (This is what it is called.)

Place a bead on the valve cover and install your gasket. (Prefer Cork myself)

Perform this on both valve covers first.

Now place a bead of "The right Stuff" On the gasket you installed.

Allow to sit for about 20 minuts to get a skin on the sealer.

Install the valve cover and install the retaining bolts finger tight only.

Let sit 24 hours.

Snug the retaining bolts to the 44 in/lbs or using a nut driver snug the covers down. Do not tighten to the moon. Just snug should be fine.

Check every cuple of months and snug if need be.

This usually works well.

Here is my o2. I have done this and so far no leaks

remove valve covers.

Clean all mating surfaces.

Wipe all mating surfaces with laquer thinner.

Using a can of "The Right Stuff" (This is what it is called.)

Place a bead on the valve cover and install your gasket. (Prefer Cork myself)

Perform this on both valve covers first.

Now place a bead of "The right Stuff" On the gasket you installed.

Allow to sit for about 20 minuts to get a skin on the sealer.

Install the valve cover and install the retaining bolts finger tight only.

Let sit 24 hours.

Snug the retaining bolts to the 44 in/lbs or using a nut driver snug the covers down. Do not tighten to the moon. Just snug should be fine.

Check every cuple of months and snug if need be.

This usually works well.

seems this is the way to go. i did about the same thing. the right stuff is the key i think.