Any thought on what this can be

LS954

MH-60S Airframer, USN!!
Lately my brakes have been feeling like crap, its so bad then when im driving in my complex(5-10mph) i could slam on the brakes and the best itll do is slowly creep to a stop it wont even jerk me forward. Last December i had the brakes blead and new fluid poured in. The other day i was messing with the car and decided to look into the reservoir and found this

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

Any ideas on what it could be? im thinking its from the rubber brake lines deteriorating.

Is it a rubbery substance? At any rate, if I were you I'd change over to the stainless braided lines from Russel and completely bleed out the system with new fluid. Cost only about $65 through Amazon and most times shippin is free. You may have this debris blocking your lines. Also, check your rear brakes. Sometimes, and it's happened to me a couple times with drum brakes, the rear shoes are shot but give no indication except poor stopping.

Im not sure what the material is...i was thinking about swapping over to the braided lines and at the same time been tossing around around the idea of switching over to the S10 Blazer Dual piston brakes.

You have a Part number for the russell or goodridge brake line kit?

Get the number from Summit and then google search it. Usually, Amazon.com will handle it and have it for less than anybody, and you can get free shipping. I bought the stainless lines about 5 or 6 years ago from Summit and paid about $80 plus their grab. This time they only cost me $65 about 6 months ago. You can use this same procedure with many parts and usually get free shipping.

This is common with regular brake fluid. Seen this many time before. The fluid is hydroscopic which means it absorbs fluid espeacially from the atmosphere. Flush the system with rubbing acohol and then fill it up again. This should take care of the problem for a while but you really need to flush it once a year to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Lately my brakes have been feeling like crap, its so bad then when im driving in my complex(5-10mph) i could slam on the brakes and the best itll do is slowly creep to a stop it wont even jerk me forward. Last December i had the brakes blead and new fluid poured in. The other day i was messing with the car and decided to look into the reservoir and found this

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

Any ideas on what it could be? im thinking its from the rubber brake lines deteriorating.

I would flush the system. That could be from the rubber lines or moisture . A lot of it could be from the copper in the brake lines. The best thing to to do is change over to all stainless lines. you should still flush it once a year no matter what it looks like. I will admit I dont like the first picture. Looks a little oily to me. maybe its just the way the picture is. mix a little bit in a small glass of water . The water should look cloudy. If anything oily is floating on the top or sticking to the sidesof the glass there is something in there. who does your oil changes and tops off fluids?

i do all my fluids. The brake fluid was done by a local brake shop last dec as a last min thing right before i drove it down to florida.

I am having a very similar problem. Except I think mine might be completly gone. When i put put the car in gear, it will hardly stay in one place. The check brake light is on. I was thinking it may be the master cylinder, but I have not had the time to trouble shoot yet, good luck.

Another common problem is rear wheel cylinders leaking. Consequently, the brake shoes become wet with fluid and affect overall braking.