Any scooter/moped enthusiasts here?

Geoff87

Administrator
Staff member
I just blew off the dust on my '87 Honda Spree w/Dio engine (now 72cc's), and bought back my old Honda Aero 50 (now 62 cc's). The Aero does almost 50 MPH right now, and the Spree will leave the Aero in the dust. I honestly have no idea what the top speed is, but it is waaay fast enough for me. :cool:

I'm currently looking for a Puch Maxi N w/rigid frame (no rear shocks) or JC Penney Swinger w/rigid frame as another project. I don't think it will be as fast or reliable as the Honda, but i love the look of the old school moped. :)

Man I used to be hard into scooters and mopeds, until I got a license. :D

I used to have a '78 JC Penny Pinto (made by Puch) that was bright yellow with the chrome top fuel tank, then I had a '78 Sears Free Spirit (also made by Puch) and then I had one of those kick start '80 Yamaha QT-50 mopeds that had the cool mini dash with the 3 indicator bulbs and a key ignition switch.

Of course the fastest was the Yamaha that I managed to get to 27 mph, the Pinto I think maybe went 25 but the Free Spirit was the slug, only topping out at 21 mph, even after I pulled the exhaust and cleaned all the gunk out of the baffle, cleaned the carb and air cleaner, etc...of course it was pretty well worn when I got it. I spend countless hours repairing all the things that went wrong with that thing. :mad:

I am a Lance scooter dealer. If anybody wants one I may can have it dropped shipped to you:biggrin:

Man I used to be hard into scooters and mopeds, until I got a license. :D

I used to have a '78 JC Penny Pinto (made by Puch) that was bright yellow with the chrome top fuel tank, then I had a '78 Sears Free Spirit (also made by Puch) and then I had one of those kick start '80 Yamaha QT-50 mopeds that had the cool mini dash with the 3 indicator bulbs and a key ignition switch.

Of course the fastest was the Yamaha that I managed to get to 27 mph, the Pinto I think maybe went 25 but the Free Spirit was the slug, only topping out at 21 mph, even after I pulled the exhaust and cleaned all the gunk out of the baffle, cleaned the carb and air cleaner, etc...of course it was pretty well worn when I got it. I spend countless hours repairing all the things that went wrong with that thing. :mad:

My road riding group usually averages 25 mph (thats on bicycles) I was out riding by myself and pulled up on a scooter and drafted him for a few miles. The kid was going nuts, had the thing firewalled and I just sat on his wheel.

If I worked in the summer I think I would be looking for something that gets 100 mpg. Save gas for the toys.

Here's my 73 Honda pit bike with 600 miles. One pedal or a little push to get it going and one tank of fuel lasts the whole summer usually.

3067349_28_full.jpg

I used to be a serious puch moped fan . I had a few back in the day and built a bunch . I raced them all i never worried about weight i had a wine colored 81 puch maxi with spoke mags straight bars and a fairing and it kinda looked like a small kz1000 it went about 50 with a primative 60 cc kit they had back in them days with a bug eye dellorto carb with todays technology you could make one run 80 or so with a cut clutch and if your into them remeber the rare puch 2 speed or the tomos they where pretty fast for being stock .

Had a Garelli (sp?) moped back in the mid 80s. Was quite the performer for being stock. It was a 2 speed, so it actually took off quite well, and going downhill in a hurricane it would hit about 45mph. On flat ground it would do about 42mph. I got it new, and rode for a couple of years. Then passed it on to my little brother. By then the baffles were out of the exhaust (got clogged with oil and just shot right out the back). He rode it back and forth to work (corn detassiling), and you could hear him from a mile away. He'd pop it up on the back wheel from a standing start, dragging his feet and ride wheelies forever. He went through several pairs of shoes each summer, but it was good comedy watching him drag his feet at 40mph leaving a smoke trail off each foot.

I wouldn't consider myself an enthusiast by any means.
I am in the middle of a full restoration on a 1972 70cc. The build is for fun, and when it's done it'll be just for cruizin' locally and used as a pit bike.
Hey, at 100mpg, It should last me at least a week or two on a gallon.:biggrin:

SGRIM- Show a pic of what you're selling would you.

I remember the Garelli mopeds. I knew a 70 year old guy in town that had one, used to ride around the town picking up cans off the sides of the roads.

SGRIM- Show a pic of what you're selling would you.

Since the price of gas has rose up I stocked my showroom with these:biggrin:

Also here is a link to the company our bikes are made from. They are head and shoulders above other scooters out there....

Scooters - Lance Powersports

The bottom pic is of some the ohter stuff we sale, moving around a little!

Attachments

• 06-06-08_1719.jpg
    06-06-08_1719.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 06-06-08_1720.jpg
    06-06-08_1720.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 71
Got one for a BIG BOY:biggrin: to go get the mail etc:cool: Had a 49 cc tank and it sucked. Just bought a used 84 Honda 100 cc with 800 miles:D just to dink around on the weekends.